Keeping secrets

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dunc, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

For various reasons we have a culture in the buj of holding back certain, sometimes key, elements

I get that there are elements of the art that are not for the general community, but I'm not referring to these. I'm really referring to fundamentals (this thread has been inspired by the lunge punching thread really)

Speaking from personal experience, there are people who will take hard earned information and repackage it as their own for money or status. I've had notes of mine that were shared in the spirit of helping folk turn up being sold as "densho" for example.....

This resulted in me holding my cards close to my chest, sharing info between trusted friends, but not openly in the community

Also there are many people in the buj who like to position themselves as "on the inside track" and as a result they don't openly share their insights. Secrets sell well I think

However, there are clearly downsides to the approach of holding back key insights. eg: A lot of well meaning people, who do train hard, don't really develop well as they are missing key parts of the of jigsaw. People don't have a yardstick to assess their teachers by and so on

Would the benefits to the broader buj community outweigh the cost of Indies getting insights for free?

I'd really value people's opinions from within the xkans (I kinda know what those outside will say)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why is it bad if someone else knows what you know?

3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

No, people get what they get and that's life. If you don't do your homework and due diligence and end up with less of a teacher than you bargained for, then that is on you. Nobody is going to hold your hand or show you the way, you have to do it for yourself. If you choose the best teacher(or rather they choose you), you still have to worry about how you train and conduct yourself if you want to be taught the depths of the arts. It has always been that way and probably always will. Therefore, a small select group of people will be able to maintain the integrity of the art.

There is more than enough information out there, even in the public eye, far more than there has ever been. If people for centuries and generations were able to get it without the benefit of the internet, videos, or loads of books, why can't we in today's day and age?

You want the secrets, make yourself worthy of them and go find them.

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Well I guess you keep the edge

On the other hand having the edge doesn't necessarily push you to develop

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty much the pointing was going to get at. Every boxer knows the same techniques as Floyd Mayweather, nobody is beating him though.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Meh.

I share everything I know about flexibility training here for free, which I charge to teach in person.

Some of it might even be used by rival teams.

I don't mind because sharing knowledge is a far greater purpose than making green.

Let's face it, people really withhold information so they can sell it.

7. Please reality

Not necessarily. The true secrets of these arts can't be bought. When you think of the things that some people accuse Hatsumi sensei of selling(or rather giving out like candy), they aren't the important details of the arts, it is stuff like rank. You can do whatever you want, however you don't study these arts or have an in-depth personal experience with the issues involved with the flow of information in them(as evidenced by the part of your post I quoted).

There are plenty of reasons not to share certain information that is contained in these arts. Hatsumi sensei has taught other aspects around the world for decades, there are numerous books, and hours upon hours of videos as well out there in the public domain. What you won't find though, are the important aspects of the arts that must be learned one on one with a teacher who knows the depths of the arts.

Traditional arts are generally kept that way because they are not open to the public. Whether or not it is necessary is a moot point. That's just the way it is. If you want to learn kabuki for example, you can't just go down the the nearest culture school and learn it. You have to be born into or adopted into a particular family, do a particular apprenticeship, and learn it from the bottom up. Not everyone is willing to dedicate their life to kabuki, so it remains a small and particular form of theater. Don't like it, don't go see it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Pretty In Pink

So it's this way, because it's always been this way? Nice way to remain static.

9. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Kind of seems a bit cultish to me sort of like scientoligy. You will only learn the truth once you reach the highest of levels, and your check clears.

If you only keep your knowledge to yourself one day it will die with the last person who studied it. It also remains as chaddez said. Static.

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Maybe part of the training is learning how to find things out, also how to learn from observation - without being told every detail like a child.

If is when this info is just handed out for whatever reason that a lesson (or alleged secret) is missed! Not the other way round.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Keeping secrets is only important with information of value. The only real value here would be to withhold information from people who may have an interest in Ninjutsu to get them involved which may do the antithesis of what is intended. There are probably 50 modern day alternatives to every secret thing in Ninjutsu from weapons to empty hand training. I can't see anything super secret cool badass that comes from the feudal age in any region of the earth that would trump anything in the modern world. Secrecy due to practicality and application that is superior to other methods? Definitely not.

It's kind of asinine to write "it's secret though, so I won't share it." I mean hell man, just don't even say anything at all. It's no different than saying something like, "I have the recipe for Damascus Steel and Greek Fire, but I ain't sharing!" Good for you man, you have contributed nothing. ::double thumbs up::

12. Pretty In Pink

Or maybe you're all being conned into taking more ninjutsu lessons? I could ask my Instructor about every technique and principles that he knows, and he'd tell me. Wouldn't make me much better because I'd have to training endlessly on the mat.

13. Please reality

You are the one who hasn't contributed anything. You don't even study ninjutsu and haven't the faintest clue about what it encompasses or why things are the way they are.

So it would be pointless to tell you then anyway.:rolleyes: You guys make the most logical statements…

Nobody has to be conned into anything and they are free to quit at anytime. If you don't like your training or what you are learning, nobody is holding a poisoned shuriken to your head making you stay.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Translation: "You don't do ninjutsu so your opinion is invalid."

Pathetic.

15. Please reality

Nothing cultish in teaching things when and if it becomes appropriate. The masters of these arts haven't kept their knowledge to themselves. To suggest otherwise would be a bit odd. Anyone who has studied these arts for a few years would know the depth of insight and information that has been disseminated. However, no matter how much information is out there, it is up to the student to figure things out for themselves. Don't like it, do tae kwon do.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Does The Boss answer if you ask or does he just hold back? That to me is the biggest difference

17. Pretty In Pink

Well at least if someone asked me a question about any aspect ova techniques could tell them about it rather than "it's a secret".

18. Please reality

Nope. You don't know what you are talking about so you were being corrected. Simple and no value judgement involved. You made an assumption about people's motivation for doing something. It was one possible assumption you could've made, and just happened to be the wrong one. Nothing more, nothing less. One reason you might've come up with said assumption was due to your lack of familiarity with these arts, the issues involved with the different organizations, and the amount of frauds out there claiming to teach ninjutsu.

It's great that you share your flexibility experience with others. Many aspects of these arts are also shared with the public. Some aren't. Whatever the reason, that's the way it is. Discussing it or debating about it won't change that.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The martial arts should grow and those keeping secrets are short changing their students.

Grand Master Danny Guba said to me once that I should be better than him because I have stuff he doesn't. My students should be better than me because they have stuff I don't.

My honest opinion is that those who say they are keeping secrets, or that you have to reach a certain level before the secrets can be shown, aren't actually that good.

It's often a masking device.

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.