Keep Your Guard Up

Discussion in 'Karate' started by surgingshark, May 4, 2004.

1. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

2. mikelw

mikelw New Member

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Not bad.

The best part though is the accompanying music - Thunderstruck by AC/DC. :cool:

:)

4. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Its funny- I DL'd this clip a few months ago and never got round to watching it. Over the last few weeks I may well have watched it over 50 times.

Im not having a go at karate but....

Why do they not have their guard up?

The sound track RAWKS.

Oh yeah, and I didnt know that climbing up a waterfall or standing knee deep in freezing water, puncing on the spot was a part of Karate training. :D

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  5. surgingshark

Sometimes, people forget to. Maybe it's overconfidence, maybe it's the adrenaline rush, I'm not really sure. That clip was about people being reminded the hard way :p

I believe Kgirl may have an answer for you :D It is, after all, a Kyokushinkai Karate clip.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Because the rules of their sport don't allow punches to the face.

7. surgingshark

Actually, a focused punch (one inch from the face) is allowed in most tourneys that I've attended. Thus, they should have still gotten their guards up just in case an "accident" occurs.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You've attended Kyokushin tourneys?

9. surgingshark

Shotokan and Shorin-Ryu, actually. Note I said "most tourneys" :D

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm.....most tourneys here are now turning to punches and backfists in the face but not full contact ie it should make contact but not with force, they will hit hard anyway and you could probably get away with a lot before getting disqualified ;)

And yeah, they don't seem to keep a guard let alone keep it weak at least they don't keep it freely at their sides :rolleyes:

Their low kicks' power give me a shame to watch :(

Loved the KO's though :D

|Cain|

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Good post SS, I'd love to show that to my school to demonstrate what NOT to do.

12. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

kicking

Keep your guard up.

Take a look at the round house kick (Mawashi geri) wich is about 1:26 min into the video. It goes well over the head and any guard.

Also I loved the front side kick (yogo geri) bit later.

Isn't this mostly Kyokushin tourneys videos?

Regards Kerling

13. Adam

Adam New Member

It's general full-contact karate, such as kyokushin. Punches to the face aren't allowed because they don't wear gloves. As such, some kyokushin fighters appear to have an inferior face guard, as hands are often kept lower to protect the body. The standard guard is however to have your hands at eye level, but only to guard against kicks.

14. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Personally I've always been impressed with the reverse roundhouse kick (Ushiro Mawashi-geri) as shown right at the end of the clip.