Katana

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by SPAWNPAIN, Nov 3, 2003.

1. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

:p Ineed to get a new katana low budget :( i guess Bugei will have to wait :( i need a useful to cut and fight with.

:eek: you ways know where can i find one? $ 350 budget :(

:) thank you so much oh i forgot i have to buy it on the internet.

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

try e-bay

3. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

uhm, fight with? I sincerely hope that your instructor does not allow live blade sparring. Thats what bokken and shinai are for.
    If you want a descent cutting blade cheap try the henwei paul chen practical katana plus, they go for around 200 USD.

4. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

I said fight because you never know, in my country we are only 4 million people and every day 19 people are victim of thiefs without count the agression :woo: people killing people, hackjakers, here in my country it is like the old west it is a shame i know but as i said you never know, i go everywhere with my katana on my car i also sleep with a tanto under my pilow :confused: thiefs have visited my house 5 times not lying 5 times.

But virtuous thank you anyway. :)

5. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Sorry Spawnpain, didnt know thats what you meant. In a situation like that Id rather resort to ol chink-chink-pow-jutsu. Is it feasable for you to get a hand gun or shot gun?

As for a blade in SD application, a katana is pretty unwieldy indoors and drawing the thing in a car could prove to be tricky, a wakazashi is probably better suited to your needs.

6. Munners

Munners New Member

What about?

What about tegatakana? (i.e. hand katana)?

Otherwise, a live tanto may be OK......?

7. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Dont buy a katana for the sake for self-defense, is a piece of art and for martial art purposes only. But with $350 I think you can buy a ok cutting edge blade, just make sure you know how to care for it, because they rust fast other wise. Here some link
    http://bugei.com
    http://japanesesword.net
    http://tozando.com/eng/

8. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Tozando doesnt sell live blades, only aluminum alloy iaito. Great for iaido and kata also very beautiful, but they wont cut.

9. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

Thank you guys I know a katana is a piece of art, i know that and i have it very present but kenjutsu it all an art, if you learn how to defend your self with that why wouldn't i use it to defend my self and my love ones? im checking those websides right now thank you so much

10. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

for 350? I Practical plus Katana is 500 up, practical is 200.
    Ever hear of the blind fury for a sword, it looks like a walking stick but has a very good hand forged blade and its only 100 so you can buy the care kits too and get a waki with your left over money.

I know how it is in Costa Rica, my best friends dad was taken hostage a number of times just at his hotel, luckily he is ok.

Good luck, I totally understand where you are coming from man.

11. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

The cane sword you are referring to is often called a zatoichi. Hand forged blade for 100 bucks? I find that hard to believe, a 100 bucks is practically giving it away. Anything in that price range is usually a machine ground stainless blade which tend to be very brital.

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Costa Rica damn you guys done us over in Italia 90 world cup finals. :woo:

Thats it your gettin no help from me:D

14. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

:D LOL LOL LOL LOL Iguess we got lucky that time, i already ordered the katana, a practical gt one from Paul Chen.

:) thank you guys for your help. If you visit Costa Rica you know " Mi casa es su casa amigos " ;)

15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

LOL

nice one

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Hope you have good luck in Costa Rica and I'll be sure to go there and use "mi casa es su casa" against you.

Virtuous- Hard to believe but true! The katana is hand forged and not a cheap piece of dog dung. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2205049497&category=43338 Scroll down for the pics, its a little blurry but you can see its real. I found one site willing to sell it for 80 bucks! Well just though I should show it to the world :D.

17. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

:p OK mi casa es tu casa also for you 47Ronin, and that's a nice looking katana , i already got this one , www.swordarmory.com/katanas/2073gt.htm i'm just waiting for it to arrive. take care. :) and thank you.

18. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

That is a great blade and low budget ;) Hope you enjoy it!

19. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

A Blind Fury Zatoichi sword? :confused:

Sometimes I despair.

There is a difference between being burgled and intending to chop someone up with a sword named after a rutget hauer movie and a japanese cartoon. About 15 years in prison probably. imho

20. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I don't agree woth using katans in self defene but aybe i'd see it differently in ur shoes.
    #

To the people who say a katana is a piece of art, yes it can be, but only if you pay £1800 +. before that price range ur not really buying a katana. They may be dangerous swords but are not as strong/sharp as the other katans.
    I think when poeple say a katan is a piece of art they are forgeting why it was created. TO KILL PEOPLE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.
    :D