kata? Worth practising nowdays

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, Jun 1, 2003.

?

What is the most effective combination of training

Poll closed Jul 1, 2003.
  1. Physical conditioning and Kata

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Physical conditioning and Sparring

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Sparring and Kata

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. mani

mani Valued Member

I would like to know what your views are on kata and practising it nowdays.

Is it worth training Kata for REAL STREER FIGHTING or do we just do it cause it looks good, and so we do not lose that traditional essence of karate. In my opinion it is not worth training kata nowdays, because we do not practice enough of it (many years back the masters use to spend a few years on one kata getting it to perfection) now that is worth it, as this increases the persons speed, reaction time and many more aspects.

I am not against kata training, but what I think should be re-thought is the fact that are we practising it the way we were supposed to, and the way we were taught by our masters. Therefore my opinion is that if we know that we do not practise Kata properly then why bother and waste time, when it would be more useful if we concentrate on our sparring techniques and preferablly small combination that are more effective than Kata training nowdays.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No - it isn't.

But that doesn't mean it's not worth doing Kata. It depends what your goals & motives are.

*Sit's down with popcorn & fire extinguisher :p

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

*Sit's down with popcorn & fire extinguisher *

:D yoda u mind if i add some chilli sauce??
    -TkdWarrior-

4. YODA

Be my guest - any nachos for that sauce? :p

5. Cain

Cain New Member

I will take all the three methods :D

|Cain|

6. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I feel that kata is of great value as a PART of your training. First, as you perfect body mechanics, you get more bang for your buck. I do a good amount of cardio and full squat over 800lbs and do the chinese splits. None of these things are directly working on my self defense, street fighting, or combat skills. However, like kata practice, I feel they make me a more effective fighter. In addition to better technique, the pattern of turns helps preframe angles of attack and defense against multiple opponents. Finally, they map out pressure point attacks, if you learn how to read the map. For those who are wise enough to recognize the xalue of what the previous generations of masters felt was so vital to be passed down, take advantage of it.(BTW-I don't believe in being bound by tradition and ritual, but not disregard the value in it either.) For those who lack the wisdom, well, this way my students can stay ahead of you.LOL.

7. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

Actually I think the Kata we practise today all suck. What we need are new Katas for a modern time. Anyway the practical applications of most kata have just gotten lost over time and we dont really practise in such a way that we could really make our kata bunkai work, i.e in karate we NEVER practise throws or grips, eventhough basicly every kata includes them.

8. gingerninja

gingerninja Don't mock the sideburns

Speak for yourself

If you ain't doing throws or grips, go find an instructor that does.;)

9. gingerninja

Oops just seen that Killerbee is Shotokan stylist. Defect to Wado! You know you want to!!

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yes, defect to wado!

I voted for 'physical conditioning and sparring', but also I think shadow boxing a.k.a. kata is a very good tool for sorting out what you are doing in your head and getting to grips before you do it for real. But I prefer my own shadow boxing- kata were useful at one time, but I prefer something that I actually know what it means. That said, I can't see a lot wrong with keeping the kata around for fun and for musing

11. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Funny

Big thread on this and I guess people know my views on it.

I feel that people could use the time better for self defence purposes.

I train souly for the self defence side and as a result I have not suffered because I chose not to continue Kata (well as far as I guess) and I feel I have spent the time better.

Still perfection and gentle pose, rememberance of set orders of moves and all is not my thing - I do however feel many potential good martial arts people are lost every year because they forgot a move from a Kata.

Yet many could proberbly kick my butt - it is a shame!

SONSHU

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Worth it if you have the time and you think thats the best way to spend it!

The End

:D

13. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

Actually ive already "defected" to Kyokushinkai and I just love the full contact fighting, I dont think any other style can give me what kyokushinkai gives me.

14. gingerninja

Funny that I started out in Kyukushinkai and defected to Wado. I got in alot of trouble for sparring full contact instead of light contact though:D

15. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

NO!!!

Kata is not shadow boxing!!!

Two very different things

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Kata IS shadow boxing. It is also performance art, folk dance and a convoluted form of aerobics. I think we should keep them around- at the very least, they can do little actual harm. At the most, you can of course have a look and try and piece together some of the meanings. Some of the unearthed sequences (see shawn jefferson's kata analysis) are very very cool...

17. YODA

No - KATA is NOT shadow boxing.

Shadowboxing is free form - spontaneous - ALIVE!

KATA is fixed - predetermined and DEAD.

18. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Sad thing is though I'll bet before people started formalising the arts the kata probably was alive and fluid just like shadow boxing.

The people that started the kata must have done it fluidly and with aliveness in order to capture the attention of others who copied them trained monkeys.

If I made up my own Kata with say, 20 techniques and varied the cominations would that not be the same as having a shadow boxing routine with 20 techniques or is it not possible to make your own kata up and keep it alive.

I would vote for conditioning and sparring until you are to old then you can really appreciate your kata

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Was Kata ever fluid?

They have two different aims, shadow boxing to get you moving against an imaginary opponent and Kata to hold the moves and techniques of the style. Kata doesn't use your imagination in the same way, I think its always been a dead pattern.

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I disagree I reckon kata became dead when it was copied and copied and copied.

If you take the moves from your formal kata and perform them in the same manner as shadow boxing against imaginary opponents is that not alive? I believe this is how kata can be performed.