karate vs kickboxing & taekwondo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by macoda, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

Yeah, I've been taught that way in my Shotokan class and I can see the comparison between the 2 techniques - Bringing the knee up at an angle provides more power but is also easier to spot and thus react to.

Are you referring to the beginning of Pinan Godan as you pull up from the punches? I've always performed those like a roundhouse punch. As for Naihanchi, in my association we learn this kata for our 2nd kyu grading and yeah I count 4 roundhouse punches in it.

2. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

I think Wado Ryu only uses the jab because in contests you dont score a point if the technique is bad. I got 1 front kick, 1 roundhouse and 2 sidekicks into someones torso but didn't get the point due to bad technique. Also Wado emphasizes very much strait attacks, rather than overly fancy stuff that requires strength Ie. a hook needs a fair bit of chest strength to do well, a jab just needs conditioned triceps

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

to defend against a hook grab the wrist and pull him to the side, then jab him in the side(yes that is allowed in most competitions, if you release the oponent immediately after, or if you follow the grab with a sweep or takedown)

Fish Of Doom

4. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Excuse me how do you intend to do that? Life it's not like the matrix unfortunately.

5. Fish Of Doom

i think it's called a kakiuke(spelling?), in ****o-ryu it's used on katas shisochin, basai dai, and quite a bit of assorted brown/black belt katas that i do not know

you deflect the atacking limb with an outward motion of the forearm, grab the limb and pull, to open on oponent's guard or to unbalance.
    and since the hook punch is done with a bent arm, it's actually easier to grab than a straight punch, although it may be harder to do the actual deflecting/pulling, though i'm not sure

we learn that movement on practice around 7th/6th kyu i think, but i don't remember :bang:

Fish Of Doom

6. alex_000

Easier said than done but i respect the technique.

Keep in mind that if the deflection fails (wich is quite possible even vs a noob boxer) you'll be hit quite bad possibly in the jaw because your hole face will be exposed.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  7. Fish Of Doom

yup that's true.

8. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

It is possible to overcome a hook punch by blocking and then twisting your hand into a form of Dragon's Mouth (I was told the name by my mate who's a Wing Chun student, I don't have a clue what Karateka would call this) and then pulling the attacker round using his own momentum etc etc.

However, isn't it just simpler to thrust your own arm foreward to meet the incoming hook punch at the elbow? If you achieve this block successfully then it greatly reducing the strength the attacker can bring to bear through that arm, as well as giving them a dead arm in the process :rolleyes: If used in conjunction with an attack of your own, launched at the same time, you should be able to waste your assailant.

9. Fish Of Doom

how?
    I think you would meet fist to fist if you tried that(no offensejust my initial impression), because due to the angle of a hook punch the fist will have already hit you when you have a clear attack position(hope that made sense), please explain

Fish Of Doom

EDIT, tried to do a lame diagram thingy but forum text didn't let me :cry:
    it moved all the text to the left :bang: :bang: :bang: :woo: :woo: :woo:

10. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

The hook punch is coming in from the side with the elbow joint at an angle of 90 degrees or more. That leaves the attacker's upper arm from the elbow to the shoulder exposed.

Your own attack is not directed to their body initially but to that exposed upper arm, so that your hand impacts either the inside of the elbow joint or the bicep. Either way, you'll hurt their arm in the process, reduce the power of the hook punch to a fraction of what it was (assuming it's still going at all, which in my experience it shouldn't) and you can then roll up the arm to backfist, hammerfist or elbow into the attacker's head or body, or even if you're really good (which I'm not! :D ) then I imagine you could even duck under the arm and end up behind the attacker as well...

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

IMHO the very idea of grabbing a punch shows a deep-rooted misunderstanding of how, when and why grappling happens in a fight. Sticking your arm out like that when a hook is coming in will land you in more trouble than it's worth.
    How did that end up being a good thing? The hook punch is NOT 'overy fancy'. It's a staple technique in any fighter's arsenal.

12. alex_000

If you want to know the best way to defend hooks, take a look at boxers for christ sakes. If they've got it wrong , you have the chance to become millioners :D

The best ways IMO .

1)Block buy sticking your wrist just above your temple and your bicep at your chick wile having your head tucked in, or if you have enough time take your elbow out a bit at almost same position.
    2)dodge it by ducking.
    3)take a quick step back.
    4)Take a quick step in and clinch (tough to execute you've got to be fast)

Keep in mind that after the hook the will be another punch coming very very fast so don't do anything that requires too much time.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  13. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

Buy blocking the hook punch at the upper arm I'm not suggesting you grab the arm or engage in any form of grapple, it's literally thrusting your arm (I prefer to do this as a taisho strike) into their bicep or the inside of the elbow as you move forward and then immediately move on to strike the body or face - You don't need to hold the arm to stop the attack after this - It should have stopped already.

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I know what you're implying- I've seen it demonstrated in karate class. I'm just questioning the value of the technique.

15. Gordon

Gordon New Member

When sparring I like to use left front thrust kick followed immediately with a right roundhouse followed immedient by a right backhand.

16. Gordon

Gordon New Member

Yeh I know what you mean. Used in head block 2 (I've yet to learn the japanese terminology) right? Yeh that's a cool technique.

17. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

"Take a look at Boxers"

18. Shuri

Shuri Valued Member

All Karate systems are not linear, thats just a popular anti-Karate statement. My system focus is on angles and circular movement.

Karate blocking is fine, but how they appear at the beginning level and in formal Kata's are never meant for combative blocking... The parry hand in a high block is nothing more than a high parry like you would see from any fighter, the following blocking hand is usually not a block at all, but rather a follow up strike, lock, or something of that nature...

I would suggest cross training.. All systems teach you how to kick, punch, etc... A punch is a punch, but the system will have different strategies built into it.. Linear only, Circular only, combination...etc. etc.

I suggest cross training in the arts you are competing with.

19. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

why do you have to 'block' a hook - why don't you just move outta the way?

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

apart from the fact that if you can dodge every hook thrown at you you must be some kind of savant, it simply isnt an economical use of time to avoid every attack. Ill suck a leg kick if it means i am going to land a more powerful shot. if you focus on defending *everything* you miss out on opportunites to attack.