karate vs boxing: more 'practical' in street fights?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by yuen, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

karate has no "guard". your kamaete is your own.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Are you comparing like with like though Alex? When you think about a boxer training "seriously " and compare it to karate are you tinking about a karateka training a coulpe of hours a week in their leisure centre or someone like a kyukusin guy training full time for a professional tournament or K1?

Mitch

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

^^^ something a lot of people don't consider.

I think klitchko will always do better than the weekend warrior in the village hall won't he....

4. AlexCurrell

AlexCurrell Valued Member

Eh, I guess I was comparing it to the first. I should have really said ''If you compare an amateur Karateka to an amateur Boxer''. But then again, when are you going to find a devote K1 fighter in a street fight? Much more likely to find a Boxer.

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

To be fair, I'm not really that scared of most boxers either, to be 100% honest with you. There are kids who put on the gloves for 5 minutes and think they're Ali in boxing as well as serious athletes. The major difference IMHO is the level of physical conditioning expected of the average trainee, not any piffling discrepancies in technique.
    While we're on the subject, let's hear it a bit more for the guys who do only train a few hours a week in the leisure centre! Nobody says you have to be mas oyama to do martial arts.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The quintessential example in my mind...Andy Hug

[​IMG]

7. belltoller

Thats it in a nutshell.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In all honesty I think if you took someone wo did a couple of hours boxing a week and compared them to someone who did a couple of hours full contactkarate a week the differences would be more associated wit the individual than anything else.

Even an amateur boxer is putting in many hours more than the average karateka in a leisure centre. So again, I think we just have to be careful to ensure we're comparing like with like.

Mitch

9. seiken steve

Just FTR before my last EBF fight my regular week looked like this:

Monday:Lunch: weights: squats, RDL, split squats
    PM 1.5 hour boxing, pad work, restricted sparring, rope climbs and conditioning

Tuesday AM road work 3-5 miles fasted
    Lunch: weights OHP, bench, dips etc

Wednesday 6am boxing session 1.5 hours, pads, body bag and bag work. Lots of sprints, stair sprints etc.
    Pm ether another boxing session or squats again

Thursday:pM boxing 3-9 rounds sparring 3-9 rounds bag work. 20 mins of prowler pushes and tire flipping, then a BW circuit

Friday am rest
    PM Deadlifts, huge amounts of lat work, power snatch etc.

Sat AM: beach conditioning session, always started with 10 sprints up a 60stair set, then lead to other hell on the soft sand (shuttle runs, sumo wrestling, partner carries, car/van pushes)
    PM: sparring 3-9 rounds restricted or open.

Sunday rest and cheat meal

Compared to when I was prepping for my last karate comp:
    Karate 3 nights a week followed by a couple of hours in the pub with the lads I trained with playing pool.

10. belltoller

Just curious...what'd the results of your Karate comp have been had ya did the above routine in prep for it?? Would've taken the comp with plenty o room to spare?

I reckon with boxing, one knows the heavy prep is required unless you want your **** handed to you on a not-so-silver plate. With the TKD, one subconciously knows you're not going to need that level of conditioning ( for the avg comp ) so one doesn't put forth the effort, then?

I think if we ( who are in karatee, TKD ) all trained as if it were a Golden Gloves ( or even farther down the totem pole ), people would look at karateka with a different set of expectations.

BTW, nice routine:cool:

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm tired just reading that.

12. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

If you accept that the highest percentages of street assaults are punches to the head then what method will give an average individual the best chance of dealing with a punch to the head? Boxing trains you to deal with punches to the head at the range that most fights starts. That’s not to say other methods don’t do that but Boxing is singly focused on dealing with head shots at the street fight range. Two hours of protecting your head a couple of nights a week is a higher ratio than two hours a couple of nights a week dealing with kicks, grabs and punches if you see what I mean. Therefore on a statical training ratio,(i.e boxing training is 95% dealing with head punches rather than say 50 % over a month average for other methods) boxing training will probably give the average individual the best chance to deal with punches to the head at the street fighting range.

13. seiken steve

I didn't have much of a life i'll admit, I was very lucky to have a supporting (and patient) girlfriend if I'm honest, I used to love Sundays!!

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

My advice is to supplement your training with some groundwork, and you'll be a well-rounded practitioner. I'm a strong advocate of keeping street fights on your feet, but a plan is just a series of things that probably won't happen. Judo or jujutsu should round you out nicely.

15. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

What i am doing at the moment is muay thai and trying to focus more on the boxing and clinch game (knees, elbows) side of things, since these seem to be the distances that most self defence encounters happen at. I generally like to go with Geoff Thompsons self defence advise. try to shut the attacker down with intimidation/ postureing (fighting without fighting), then if they keep knocking against the fence, try to shut things down at with hands, and if that fails and we clinch, then use knees, elbows, head , biting, anything up close to hurt them, so if we go to ground they are hurt and i can untangle myself and escape. I am thinking of cross training with boxing or judo because my teacher says i am good puncher, and i enjoyed judo as a kid, and used it to chuck around my mates in play fights back at school. So it should at least be a load of fun.

16. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I should specify that I didn't mean to do groundwork training while you're still learning your stand-up game. That would not be very wise. Learn one art at a time before moving on to round out more training. Otherwise, you'll be learning competing theories and confusing yourself.

17. lma

lma Valued Member

I dont know why karate does this though ? My club doesnt but your correct I think a majority are and the politics in karate ? I put it down to cause were more passionate lol

18. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I hear these type of conversations over, and over, and over. Without the three d's (and i'm not referring to a bra size) determination, dedication, and discipline it does not matter what fighting method is used. I am sure we all prefer our own combative methodologies, but if you are not more determined than your opponent you will be defeated. If you are not more disciplined than your opponent and train hard, you will be defeated. If you are not dedicated to your own combat method you will be defeated.

Questions also come up about discipline and etiquette in the gym or martial arts school. What people really mean when they say this is: " Are these people nice or a bunch of jerks?" I have found that the ignorant many times mistake kindness for weakness (at their own peril). The ability to conduct ones self in an appropriate manner and be able to effectively communicate with others is a VERY important part of self defense. Discipline and etiquette are taught by teachers. If you workout center does not have it, it's a sign of poor leadership.

19. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Maybe it is just a local mentality or insecure alpha's or wholier then thou or just upper end white bread attitude I dunno.I'm not implying it is all just some of the local stuff I have run into.

20. yuen

yuen Valued Member

hey, for some reason i can't edit my own thread :(

does anyone know how I can turn make this thread into a poll?

or....can an admin edit this to a poll? would help people see what we think :D

yuen.