Karate update

Discussion in 'Karate' started by YoshiroShin, Aug 10, 2023.

1. YoshiroShin

YoshiroShin Valued Member

Since my last post I've had my first belt test in Goju (I was promoted to 8 kyu) and have learned even more kata.

I've noticed that I feel a lot more at home in the Goju shapes than before, and the power generation and rooting make more sense. My teacher says that I'm now ready for sai practice and I can feel as though my sanchin has already changed a fair bit from just a few months ago.

I considered practicing finger jabs into sand for nukite practice but the senior students warned me against doing so since I'm a programmer and a musician; they say my dexterity and movement would be impaired by doing such practice. That's enough for me to decide against doing it, and that's okay; there's lots of other areas for me to work on for conditioning.

The group I'm with is great too; people are easy to talk to and most of them are nerds as well.

I still practice my Shotokan kata, though I prioritize the Goju curriculum. I feel as though my karate has improved from practicing here as I develop skills that weren't emphasized in my previous dojo.

Every now and then, I think about the choice that I made to leave the last place; leaving was difficult and I wish I didn't have to do it, but every time I reconsider it and go through it all in my head again, I end up supporting the decision that I made and I'm glad to be at my current dojo.

Also if anyone knows where or how I can acquire good dit da jow in Canada, please let me know :D

axelb and bassai like this.