Karate rules question

Discussion in 'Karate' started by The Decay of Meaning, Aug 17, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

In Kyokushin:

Can you use elbows to the head?

Knees to the head?

I couldn't find any prohibition in the rules, and I saw one competitor doing it in a competition.

Also, in Shotokan, is it legal in competition to use:

Hooks

Uppercut

Elbows

Knees

Spinning bakfist

Superman punch

Traditional leg kick

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No.
    Yes. But not while grabbing.

Don't think so.
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Prob'ly.
    Yep.
    Nope.

:)

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Mitch posted a video on FB last night showing a Karate competition knockout with a knee to the head

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Elbows are allowed to the body but not to the head. Knees are allowed to the head.

Obligatory cool knee knockout video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVr6tsSYnq8"]YouTube- Nice kyokushin karate jumping knee knockout[/ame]

I think the elbows are probably the same reason why in a lot of Muay Thai matches in the States they don't allow them either. They slice your face to pieces.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

This is based on my knowledge of JKA rules.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think you can't use elbows in ANY non-knockdown karate competition. hooks are generally ignored by the refs, but slightly curved punches are allowed in the most sensible ones, IME

while you can't do a full-on superman punch, you can lean forward into strikes, particularly if you pull yourself by the opponent's lead hand.

this vid shows pretty much the full range of JKA competition movements, bar maybe one or two:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkGP0AM14F0"]YouTube- KARATE SHOTOKAN JKA Kumite[/ame]

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I asked a referee about elbows last year some time, and he confirmed that they are allowed as long as they're done with good form and control. That guy wouldn't have scored with the haito uchi though as open handed strikes are forbidden to protect the competitors' eyes.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've heard Geoff Thompson describe one Harry Cook getting ipponed in a Karate match in Japan with a headbutt "that could be heard around the arena".
    Not sure you'd get away with that these days though. :)
    And as for haito/ridgehand...we used them in TKD all the time as hooks weren't really scored so they were a way of getting a curved strike into a combination.
    I did however drop someone with one when he leaned back to avoid it and I basically finger jabbed him in the eye. So I can see why they'd be discouraged.

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yes, karate does rule.

I'm sorry, but we were 7 posts in, the question had already been answered, and I was feeling lonely. Back to what you were doing now. Nothing to see here :D