Karate (Kyokushin) vs Kungfu - Video

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TalkMartialArts, Jul 29, 2005.

1. TalkMartialArts

TalkMartialArts Valued Member

2. microhard

microhard Valued Member

Nice
    it looks like kung-fu guy did not land a shot.

3. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Fun video, there's another one out there that's longer and has a second drunken fighter who does significantly better.

I wouldn't mind learning either.

4. microhard

microhard Valued Member

Where is the other video?

5. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Try bullshido, or K-1 fans. Someone on there probably has the video, just search for drunken boxing or something.

6. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

Crikey. I had the videos (high quality, too) in my HD a while back...I think I dumped them :(

Yes, there were three Kung Fu guys (two drunken, one wing chun), and the wing chun guy got creamed. Overall the karate guys won simply on the fact that they spar often; the KF contenders didn't even attack when given the opportunity...:sigh:

It was a really fun watch, though, and I still find it entertaining. The drunken dudes really had some nifty evasion technique.

7. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

It seems that the drunken boxer won the match... as he caught the other guy's leg several times and was in the position to floor him or beat him silly (provided that the match wasn't stopped at that point, which it was). Not bad for someone who doesn't spar.

8. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

guys, this thread has been created at least 5315135 times on MAP. the people in the videos are not doing wing chun and it hardly looks like kung fu. you should learn a little about the other styles before you knock it.

so a newbie goes to 1 wing chun class, now he is an expert? he does absolutely no wing chun in the video, he prances like a boxxer. so now a karatee expert beats him up and it shows how wc sucks?

furthermore, how many japanese kung fu experts do you know? how many japanese wing chun experts are there? lol.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

kettle, meet pot

10. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Please tell me you're kidding. Frankly, that match would have been over in 5 seconds full-contact, and based on the audio and the reactions of the fighters catching the leg was a prohibited technique in this match. If catching and throwing were legal techniques there would've been nothing to stop the Kyokushin guy from doing it too.

Besides, he clearly was not hitting full contact, which would've put him at a significant advantage given how often he was making contact.

Jroe, wow, that was an incredibly ignorant post. A) It's not Wing Chun, it's Zuiquan. B) It does look like Zuiquan, C) Please show me as many clips of Wing Chun working in a sparring setting (gloves or no gloves) as I have seen of other styles and I will be inclined to entertain thoughts of its competitive effectiveness. It seems odd to me that there seems to exist NO video that successfully demonstrates "true Wing Chun" in such a setting, and whenever a video of a Wing Chun guy getting beaten does show up it's immediately said that he sucks at Wing Chun. Christ? Does every competent Wing Chun person live under a rock away from video cameras and the Shifus only send out their crappy students to compete? That's ridiculous.

Further, I'm really not sure anyone in this thread was attacking the kungfu guys at all. I thought it was a fun video clip.

next you make sweeping statements about karate's effectiveness and yet say Kyokushin is good...? There's differences between Kyokushin and other karate, certainly, but far less in the technique than in the training and focus. I guess that still makes it "ripped off" from Kung Fu. The difference in Kyokushin seems mostly to be training harder and more actively and discarding some techniques that don't work as well, but I can clearly see similarities between it and Shotokan.

And actually, yeah, I do know more than a few Japanese kung fu experts. They're really not that hard to find, but maybe you've never been to Japan so you wouldn't know and you insist on making claims about things which you know nothing about.

11. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I'd say the guy in white beat the guy in black.

Proving good (white) is stronger than evil (black), so evil will never triumph.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yes, there is a longer video. And yes the KF guys get owned all over the place here. Owned so badly... that it's hilarious to watch again and again with the whole family.:D

HERE'S THE FULL VIDEO:

http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31W4NUDAFH2NK2TEJ444KRGAIB

Easy jroe52... take panties off... untie knot! :D

You have more facts than the rest of us right? Perhaps you were able to translate the Japanese on the screen? If so please do enlighten us.:D

As for the prancing of boxers... I'm waiting for your clip of you down in the local boxing gym putting paid to that prancing. :eek: I think your talking out of side of you neck mate.

I think you have you WC defense sensors set way to high bro.
    Relax... breathe deep and repeat after me...

The world is not out to get Wing Chun....

LOL!

Besides where did you ever get the idea that Japanese people couldn't learn/become proficient at Wing Chun?

Sound like a bit of racism to me.:eek:

As dumb as saying 'heh, white guys... as if they can do Kung Fu'

BWHWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

13. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

The drunken-master was not getting hit. I know that many people aren't familiar with drunken boxing so I'll forgive this mistake. The drunken-master was letting the foot pass his face and using a form to give the impression that he was hit. In fact, this is a rather skillful evasive technique.

At least as many as there are American or European ones. But I have a feeling that if a white guy was fighting you wouldn't be asking that question.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you are kidding right? or is this some kind of iron face technique?

15. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

do a search on this video in our forums. search karatee vs kung fu or something. there is at least 10 threads of this video, all showing how he is not doing wing chun kung fu. why do i say wing chun? well because, everyone claims its a wing chun video rofl.

he isn't even in a kung fu stance, much less a wing chun stance.

yeah i said stuff harsh about karatee, but thats because of the mc dojo factor. i know there are good karatee schools, but that doesn't mean this video prooves it.

this video is like having a 1 year student take on a sifu and get wooped, then say "oh look our style is supperior because a master can beat a newb". thats what ignorance is.

*update*: it seems our old posts from a year ago on this topic are all gone lol. so i guess you can't search this forum.

how do i know that japanese guy wasn't proficient in wing chun? because he wasn't doing wing chun in the video. he didnt have a wing chun stance, he didnt have wing chun strikes or blocks. i'm not being rascist, i'm being intelligent lol. thats like me saying i'm going to do wing chun against my friend who has no experience in MA then say he is an expert in karatee and make the video to approve that karatee sucks lol

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I didnt, in fact I think only one person did?

and you having studied every kung fu style know this for a fact right?

Oh so how would you like to prove it? Glaube Feitosa winning the k-1 Vegas tournament recently? Andy Hug winning the GP with a spinning heel kick? Francisco Filhos success? Sam Greco? How about we look at the k-1 max with fighters like Masato and Kazuya who both have a seidokai background?

get over yourself buddy, a couple of kung fu guys got their asses beat in what was probably a promo video. we know. If it makes you feel any better theres plenty of videos of legit san shou fighters getting their asses beat by muay thai fighters and vice versa. you are the only one jumping to THAT conclusion.

And for the love of god stop saying karatee, theres no second e. it makes you come across as pretty condescending. shall i say kung foo instead of kung fu?

17. itchyfeet

itchyfeet Valued Member

No offence jroe, but enough already.

This is a video showing drunken boxing vs karate and it's actually a very good educational piece for all traditional CMA ers out there.

That's all.

18. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

hehe, sorry guys. last time i saw this video posted it was wing chun vs karatee, this time its drunken kung fu vs karatee hhehe, and its the same video!

i think MA's need better videos in all styles:)

19. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

My question is... Why would somebody spar using Zui quan?

I mean yes drunken looks cool.
    Yes Drunken requires a very thorough knowledge of balance.
    But.. how effective can it be against a powerful linear style?

Yes I've seen this movie numerous times. I thought the first guy was decent and had a grasp on his style and how to use it. The other guys just looked like staggering fools. I don't know too much about drunken as a style, but I do see and understand balance and power that can be delivered from good balance, and I didn't see much of either on the KF side.

oh.. and this movie = HAWTALTA (Hello and Welcome to a Long Time Ago)

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

This one again?
    Pretty damn awful. The karate guy comes off dramatically better than the other wierdo who looked like he was having some sort of fit, but why is he flapping his hands like that? More to the point, why not just punch the fairy? It beggars belief that people actually put stuff this bad on TV. And that 'scary low voice singing' at the end almost made me puke with laughter, considering what was actually going on in the background.