Karate as Infighting

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Oldi, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Oldi

Oldi Valued Member

I was listening to an old episode of the Martial Secrets podcast this morning, in which Rory Miller was bing interviewed. He made the comment that karate dynamics are perfect for infighting, and yet are almost always tested at an inappropriate sparring range. He further went on to say that the sparring range at which karate is usually tested is a range in which boxers and Muay Thai fighters will usually excel. Any thoughts on this idea?

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Which idea?

All Karate styles have their origins in pretty brutal close quarter fighting, generally at the clinch range.

I demonstrated this way of looking at Nijushiho (which is me being nice and linking everything to a control) at the Map Meet last weekend:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoA5BfSVs0"]Bitesize Bunkai 5 - YouTube[/ame]

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Agreed.

I think the long range kick and punch thingy is a sporting / competative iteration.

Gary

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

For info, this is one of our paired Kata / exercises we do which trains the benefits of closing your opponent down, arresting and breaking their posture.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0ZN8Lg3mo"]Takagi - Kihon Kumite Rapponme - YouTube[/ame]

Gary

5. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Traditional karate is generally very different than what you see in sport and generally in sparring. A lot of in fighting, very brutal techniques. And a lot more grappling than most people expect.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

We had our annual Shoto/Wado course on Sunday , the Wado stuff was much closer range , and seemed to focus more on breaking posture.

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi Mark,

Not surprising given that most of our stuff (at this end of spectrum) comes from Koryu Jujutsu - and when I say Jujutsu...anyway...

Out of interest, who is the Wado instructor on your Shoto/Wado course? I may know him/her.

Gary

8. Oldi

Oldi Valued Member

The idea that karate sparring does not play to karate's strengths! Which clearly you all agree with and it has been very interesting to read your responses.

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

This is a really great demonstration. :) My only criticism is that you should emphasize that you are using technique rather than "muscle" to get these control movements. I learned the hard way that "muscling" is a poor substitute for technique. :eek:

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

There's an earlier longer video in the series devoted specifically to the two control movement applications. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg9RLIi3ZkM"]Karate Bitesize Bunkai 2: Nijushiho application - YouTube[/ame]

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You could investigate more of JWT's bunkai vids, his excellent Heian Flow System book and check his website for more info too.

A look at Iain Abernethy's Kata Based Sparring DVD, podcasts etc would also be an interesting point for you.

Essentially, it looks to set up a live environment, a "sparring match," where the rules seek to promote the techniques of kata rather than what we tend to see now as tournament sparring. All good stuff.

You could also look at kudo sparring, Enshin sparring (Sabaki challenge), Ashihara sparring for much karate sparring under much more open rules. Not quite the infighting of JWT's bunkai, but something towards that.

Mitch

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

pretty much what they said. karate IS infighting, basically.

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Shiai Kumite does not play to most karate style's strength at all (the point fighting aspect) and indeed many forms of free-flowing kumite students practice isn't ideal. Most of the time I see students spar or practice their drills and often they don't bear any real mindset towards the importance of correct distancing.

Good karate of any style normally has a huge number of grappling applications to boot, so generally speaking karate does work much better in my eyes at close range.

14. LemonSloth

I've noticed that too, a few months back I switched from Goju Ryu to Wado Ryu. It's exaggerated because the Wado instructor is a much better quality than my old Goju instructor, but so far I've been thoroughly stunned with how much of the training focuses on the importance of breaking posture and how little effort it takes with little movements. 'Tis great fun.

15. Mitch

Which is great, but unless it's practiced against someone who doesn't want you to do it, I'm unconvinced as to how valuable it is. :)

Mitch

16. LemonSloth

Very true. It's one of those things you just have to try to see if they work ;)

Again, I lucked out though with my new instructor as in every class he gets us to drill the techniques and stances we practice against partners with various levels of resistance, so we get the opportunity to try them.

The only downside is that as I am a "new" student (even though I'm from another style), I still have to wear the white belt - so everybody treats me like I'm made of tissue paper at first :(

17. Mitch

Give it time, that'll change :)

Mitch

18. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

They don't tend to have a choice.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Same can be said for anything.

I'm assuming breaking posture covers everything from standing grappling to doing it via strikes?

20. hext

hext Valued Member

I've found this very true when you look at the Bunkai of Kushanku...

no great distance involved through the whole kata, all tight locks and strikes

as seen here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78fdfGa9D8"]Link to Youtube[/ame]