Karate as a Sport

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Pacificshore, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Here are some quotes from Tsutomu Ohshima(Shotokan Sensei) regarding the nature of tournaments.

"competitions are good because, without them, some students don't try hard"

"Tournaments are not fights, they are games."

"but many young people think that if somebody wins this type of game, that he's a top martial artist. There is no connection, although some of the mentality needed to succeed at both is similiar."

"My message to the younger generation is that, when you become a good fighter in tournaments, you've got to become a real fighter against yourself. The main thing is your mental development."

Obviously Ohshima Sensei see's the importance behind competition, but also understands that it is simply a game, and to think of it in any other way is detrimental to your mental growth/development in training. It is my opinion that mental development is perhaps more important than the physical aspects of anyone's training. If your mind is strong, then your body will respond when you need it to. Just my two cents :)

2. tommy

tommy New Member

good post thanks...I share the philosophy

3. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

yeah, thats a well put statement, it puts into words what i haven't quite been able to

4. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

If anyone is interested, there is a similar discussion about MA being a sport here