Kani Basami, a.k.a. the Scissor Takedown

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Nykout, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Hello

I wanted to ask about what would happen if one was to reverse the scissor takedown. While normally the upper leg pushes at the lower abdomen/waist and the lower leg sweeps the feet from the back, what could happen if the technique was performed with the upper leg pushing at the lower back, while the lower leg swept the feet from the front?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The reason the scissor takedown is done upper leg to front of hips and lower legs to back of knees is to follow the path of least resistance i.e. the natural movements and folds of the joints.

it can be countered easily if you try it the other way by the other person sitting their weight back

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I see, thank you. What about during the scissor takedown in a normal rotation (i.e. upper leg to the stomach lower leg to the back of feet), but done in a 180 degrees reversed way? What I mean is for example, a roundhouse kick to the stomach, followed by throwing your standing leg to the back of your opponent's feet. I can see that it might be disadvantegous in a way that you will end up with your face to the floor, so is there any point in doing that?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Nope

Do not use the wrong tool for the task- a hammer works on nails and a saw cuts things; use either to perfom the other function and any end result will either fail or else be a complete mess

The first variation you describe in this thread is useless as a scissor throw, but the exact mechanic for a drop toehold

5. Mangosteen

So here is a roundhouse and looking at the distances involved.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qtbRxFnutQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qtbRxFnutQ[/ame]

look at the standing leg.
    for a scissor throw to work you'd have to have your standing leg next to the opponents back leg which would take out any power from your kick due to distance.

a scissor throw for best effect also requires you have grip of the opponent on the side your throwing from e.g. if you are doing the throw from the opponents right hand side then you'd need to grab their right shoulder, but you'd have to kick toward their left hand side - the issue here is that your arm is shorter than your leg and would screw up the distance for the kick meaning your kick would be too close (your thigh would hit them which isn't actually painful).

6. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I actually saw people in JJJ doing the throw the reverse way. Although they didn't spar, so perhaps they never had to worry about the opponent resisting.

7. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I've heard many people say to put the lower leg behind knees, while if you put them directly behind your opponent's ankles you have a better leverage. Is this a personal preference difference, or is it specified that it has to be either way? When I do it during sparring I always put it behind ankles, this also benefits in the fact that you are less likely to injure your partner.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What art are you sparring with this in?

Riley bodycomb teaches dropping behind the knees, from memory, it make leg lock entries easier, and is safer for the receiver.

Scissor takedowns can really mess you up.

9. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

In Capoeira.

10. Dead_pool

If you have an upper body attachment to them, then dropping, and blocking the knees, stops them having a chance to try to rotate out, which is how people get hurt

11. Dead_pool

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glwYurrthcc[/ame]

12. Dead_pool

13. Mangosteen

I've actually been out of training of any form for a few months now because of this stupid technique.

im glad its banned. i fractures a metatarsal head and the joint sill does not flex properly.

its not in anyway safe and its really easy to do wrong

14. Dead_pool

I've heard danaher, (renzo gracie school) doesn't allow it in regular sparring in NYC, as its too risky.
    And that dude loves him a heelhook.

15. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Yeah, heard about this fight. As you can see, he has broken Yasuhiro's fibula because of a few things that have happened at the same moment:

- Yasuhiro just switched his weight to the leg closer to Endo, thus partially immobilizing it and resulting in the force of Endo's body accumulating in one point.

- Notice how his foot is rotated. He was probably preparing his Ouchi Gari, that's why it's rotated sideways.

- Endo brought his lower leg to the back of Yasuhiro's knee, thus a moment later the entire body weight was dropped on his calf, further pressurizing the fibula. Had Endo brought his lower leg to the back of Yasuhiro's ankle, he could have swept that leg to the front, preventing (probably) this accident.

16. Dead_pool

It caused numerous injuries worldwide too before the ban, its OK with consent, but its really not worth the risk to your partner, especially for caporia.

17. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

18. Dead_pool

If there's no upper body attachment, or posted hand, the lower leg would add more power, but that just makes it more unsafe.

19. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

By more unsafe you mean the chance of the person attacked hitting the floor with their head?

20. Dead_pool

As well as that, More chance of a leg joint getting damaged.