Kali in Indonesian MA?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Hakko-Ryu, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

is there a version of Kali in the Indonesian Martial arts??? if so how is it different from it's filipino counter-part?

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you asking about Silat systems that use sticks and knives? That would include a pretty big list of Silat systems - especially ones that include knife work. There's a saying I've heard that "there is no Silat without a knife."

I think, first, you'd have to explain your definition of "Kali." Kali is a very generic term that, along with Eskrima and Arnis, can be used to describe hundreds of Filipino systems with a wide range of specialties.

On top of this, the FMA tend to be very well-rounded. Each system specializes in certain things - but most cover all ranges (however you want to break them down), armed and unarmed with and against a variety of weapons, empty hands, striking, grappling, and groundfighting (all of which done with and without weapons).

Mike

3. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

i was referring to mostly escrima stuff...why i asked is because i usually spend the summers in Jakarta, Indonesia (visit family annualy) and i wanted to take the time to look for either a decent Escrima/kali teacher...if not then i might look around for some silat...but being indonesian myself, i know that there's a lot of questionable people and styles of silat in indonesia...maybe you could refer me a good style to take up and learn pesilat?

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Ahh. Now I get it. I don't know of any FMA instructors in Jakarta - though there may be some there.

I know Cibodas is quite a haul from Jakarta but you might try to get in touch with the Suwanda Academy there - Cibodas is about 90 miles southeast of Bandung. They may know of someone they'd recommend (or even have an affiliate) in or near Jakarta. The system is Mande Muda.

One Silat system that I've heard of in Jakarta that has a good rep (but I have no personal experience with) would be Setia Hati. You might try to find someone teaching it.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck in your search.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  5. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

thanks! i'd look into that this coming summer.