Kaiten nage

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Vimtoforblood, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Very quickly, because I have a lot of work to do, and I admit I haven't read any but the first post and the last page of this thread, but I've used kaitenage in free FC sparring with MMAers more successfully than many other techs. Not the way it starts with a big circle, but the short version which starts with cutting your hand up behind their shoulder(/blade). It works from the clinch and is surprising to most people who expect some lifting throw from underhooks, though it does work better from an over-under, especially if you use the over to jerk them one way first, and use their reaction to follow through and step in deep.

The best set-ups (Koyo's contact musubi) from out of range, moving into clinch range (which essentially is kaitenage's maai) are an elbow or a knee (the knee's best - the elbow can get you jammed up).

It doesn't have to have the big throw at the end to fit into kaitenage - it also works well as a stuff from a shot (if for some reason - eg, you're too slow - you can't get the sprawl). It's also good because if you mess it up it still gives you a good position to drag them into the ground or onto your knee, elbow, headbutt or whatever.

Incidentally, wouldn't fancy it myself but I have seen supposedly competant knife-people using something similar to control the knife-arm. Seems like a good way to get stabbed in the kidneys to me every time I've tried it on even incompetent wooden knife-wielders, but then I've never been taught it that way by good people.

2. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Getting off the net for forty days of Lent - anyone any questions, see them in a wee while!

Never know, I may even vid it.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Yes. kaiten nage is a technique of opportunity when his head,for whatever reason, comes down. (and you don't want to knee it)

regards koyo
    enjoy your lent.