Just want some comments

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DarkLantern, Oct 20, 2003.

1. DarkLantern

DarkLantern New Member

Okay frist i've been reading up on Tae Kwon Do and i want to learn TKD. My online friend got me intrested. My local college says it teaches but i'm not to sure if they do or not. The web site says one thing and the book says anther. The closest school is 45 mins away. I'm willing on traveling 45mins and look into the schools. Should I do both?

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Yep

3. DarkLantern

DarkLantern New Member

thanks i've done a little more research into my local college and i found a closer Tkd school near me. My college doesn't offer Tkd but offers others. I might take up one of them but i'm not sure i know i'm takeing up TKD now that i found a closer school.

4. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

What do you mean that the book says one thing and the site says another. What are they saying?

5. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Is normal Chazz, martial art in college is a complete mess. My school say they teaches karate, but is really WTF taekwondo. Most college level martial art class arent quiet at the same level when compare to a paying martial art school. I say just stick with TKD DarkLatern, since your a beginnier in martial taking 2 different style is a bit much, regardless how well they blend together.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Depends on each situation. For example, the school I train in and teach in are in a college... as a Taekwondo Club. We also offer Combat Hapkido in the 1.5 hours before Taekwondo... since there is no "Hapkido Club", we have to schedule it as "Self Defence" class to make the director happy. Sometimes the labels may not be 100% accurate and/or maybe the people who put the website or college book together don't know anything about martial arts, let alone what's on campus.

The quality of our training is, if I may say so myself, very good. Our master used to run his own school downtown for money. He only wants enough money to cover costs and keep the school going. When his lease ran out downtown (expesive), he was offered the position of master for the College Taekwondo club. He accepted because it took away a lot of costs. With the school downtown, the cost was around $50 or more per month... now students pay $25 (and non-students $40) per SEMESTER! Everyone's happy.

My advice is to go up and check it out in person and see how it is. Second best would be to call and try to get the instructo's number and call him/her and find out what is taught. Don't dismiss a potentially good school just because it's "on a college campus" or because you're not sure what style it is. Check it out.

7. DarkLantern

DarkLantern New Member

Thanks i've been doing a lot of research into to this the past couple of days. Okay what i mean about the book. The book says it teaches tae kwon do but it actually teaches Tai Chi, Though i'm intrested in Tai chi i want to try Tkd frist and see if i like it. I've learned a lot of things just being on the site for a few days reading post and what not. This is probley one of the best fourms i've ever been in period. I will call around tommorrow and check places out. I have no job as of yet but i'm looking for something so i can work around College class and one form of Martial Arts. Thanks for all the help here.

8. Bryan Mustill

Bryan Mustill New Member

I remember in 1972 I started A Kung fu class in the Sheerness yacht club with the Baron Omidi. It turned out he was a bit of a con man, however he did show us how to disarm people who attacked you with a knife or disarmed them if they had a gun on you. These techniques worked and at 69 they still work for me today.
    Anyway we gave him the elbow and heard about a new Martial arts school in Bromley called Tae Kwon Do. We managed to contacted an 8th Dan Tae Kwon Do instructor called Fred Lee in Harrow to see if he could help. He replied yes and sent down an instructor and our classes began. But we had to go to Harrow for our Examinations and I eventually gained my Black Belt. I still remember what you had to do for the black belt now. 1st} a perfect Kata, 2nd} You had to successfully fight 9 opponents, one after another. 3 Blue belts first, then 3 Red belts and lastly 3 Black belts. Then you had to break 2 bricks, one on top of the other.
    That's how long Tae Kwon Do has been practiced in England.
    If you could afford to go to South Korea and learn out there, as one guy did. They will give you an embroidered Black Belt
    Bryan Mustill

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  9. Bryan Mustill

Bryan Mustill New Member

However if I had my time over again, I would learn Aikido. Which I think is the most Superior of all the Martial Arts.
    Bryan Mustill