Just Moved To London

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kogusoku, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I've just moved from Japan to London after 6 1/2 years and have been permission to teach a koryu which will include jujutsu and swordsmanship. I'm currently looking for a reasonably priced venue in central London to conduct lessons. Since the lessons will include kenjutsu and iaijutsu, the ceiling will need to be high.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you kindly in advance.

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

International students House-outside gt portland st station.

3. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

The Mary Ward Hall on Tavistock place, WC1 (near the Tavistock Square end) is a good venue, big room, very high ceiling etc, they stage loads of dance classes and theatre there. I believe they have mats as well, although don't quote me on that.

There's also the Camden Chinese Centre next door to the Mary Ward Hall that I believe also has a hall for hire.

I might be interested in coming along and having a crack at the Koryu Ju Jutsu BTW.

Good Luck.

4. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Are you sure about that? :confused:

5. SoKKlab

Yes there's definitely a Camden Chinese Centre next to The Mary Ward Hall on Tavistock place :D

6. novicio

novicio Valued Member

Hey SoKKlab,

I've read some of your posts and you seemed to have tried every MA club/dojo/venue in London.

Any chance of you placing London specific club reviews/guides on your website? That would be I great addition to your current reviews.

7. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

do you train there or do you KNOW if it has a hall for rent?

8. SoKKlab

Well It's funny you should say that Nov, as I did think about doing it, but listings are a nightmare to maintain and frankly a pain in the ****. So i'll stick to reviewing Dvds, books etc for the time-being.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  9. SoKKlab

You need to pay attention to what's being posted ;)

As I said in the initial one, that 'I Believe' that it has a Hall for Hire (Key word being 'Believe' as in not totally sure, don't know for definite, you'd have to check it out).

What's it to you anyway??? Why the Anal retention?

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yup, I train there. The chinese camden centre.
    Also there is a WC class going on there too but I havent been to see.

The ceilings are quite high but the area is quite small, and I dont think there is a hall as it were. Its actually a more of a multi-functional class room.

I can ask if there is any halls around, but Sokklab seems to have all the info already :D

11. SoKKlab

I'd heard that there was a Pak Mei class there (from Dino-do you know him Mushroom?), but I didn't know there was a Wing Chun class also.

I guess Gunyo's best bet in that little strip of WC1 would be the Mary Ward Hall then, as the top floor gym in there is really big.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeah I know Dino!
    He's cool..really into his drum n bass, i got one of his cd's :p
    Tell him Billy says Hi and get his butt to class sometime! (I havent been cos there are no trains on the weekends, need to take 50 min bus ride, then 2 trains rather than the usual 1 train in 30 mins)

The WC class only seemed to have started recently, dunno anything about it, cept they leave their box of equiptment of training stuffs next to our lion head.

13. Kogusoku

Thanks very much for the help peeps.

I'll try and enquire about these venues. I'm also going to see if there are any church halls around my area in Chelsea where I can set up for a cheap rate.

Again, my thanks.

14. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Just asking..no need to get ****ed dude, why do you feel the need to get offended?

15. Kogusoku

Would anyone know any venues in the Belgravia part of Central London or there abouts?

Thanks.

Best,

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  16. SoKKlab

I'm not offended, it's just your manner sometimes. I've noticed it on a number of posts, it's probably not intentional, but it makes you seem like you are looking to start a row with someone.

Try using please and thank you in your posts (or similar pleasantries), else your tone sounds a tad demanding, particularly when you type the occassional word in Capitals, particularly when it's in relevance to such an innocuous subject.

Anyway back to the thread....

17. Kogusoku

Were you referring to my last post Sokk?

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

kool..no worries....glad to clear up the misunderstanding. :)