just beginning

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Novice, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Novice

Novice New Member

I have always been interested in the martial arts, and all forms of fighting and now that I am 22 I actually want to do something about it. I notice there are many styles and have done some research and cannot deceide. I am looking for something that is not ego drivin and based on mind and body, maybe with some form of meditation. Also I like to kick. If anyone has a suggustions please help:)

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Welcome to the boards Novice. You into the spiritual thang, eh? Might I suggest you take up tai chi, preferably, or train at an aikido school with a strong emphasis on spirituality?

How do you feel about hitting other people and getting hit, semi or full contact? Would you be interested in grappling (wrestling-style fighting), striking or both?

3. Novice

Novice New Member

Thankyou,
    Yes, actually tai chi was in interest of mine but if I am correct, tai chi is simply fluid movements (not a fighting style) has anyone tried tai chi that is willing to share there experience? Grappling I don't think would be my cup of tea, I wrestled a little in high school and although I was better than most in my weight, I enjoy the grace of the martial arts.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Some form of kung fu would be my advice then. Most styles of "soft" kung fu include some sort of spirituality to their training as well as functional fighting training and a lot of graceful and fluid movements. I'm sure the kung fu mastas will be along shortly to suggest a specific style :)

Good luck.

5. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I would suggest hapkido (erm....no bias at all....;)) usually plenty of kicks. Also, depending on the school, there is meditation. As I said, it depends on the school, some put more into 'Ki' excercises and meditation, others do not. Usually at the very least there is some deep breathing excercises (from what I've seen).

Edit: you put this thread in kickboxing, maybe you want to try kickboxing then? Although I highly doubt you'll find a spiritual side to it ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  6. I LOVE TRAINING

I LOVE TRAINING New Member

The Best Suggustion That Can Be Given To Any Person Looking To Take Up Martial Arts Would Be To:
    1. To Find Out What Martial Art Classes Are In Your Area.
    2. What Day And Time The Adult Classes Are.
    3. Turn Up To The Ones You Like The Sound Of And Try Them Out.
    Most Places Let You Have The First Lesson Free. So You Wont Be Paying For The Class If It Dont Work For You.
    Im Not Saying That You Will Learn All About That Style In One Class, But You Will See What It Has To Offer By Watching The Other Students Practice. If You Like What You See Give It A Try.

The Only Way To Become Good Is To Train..................

7. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Very good first post m8 welcome ..

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Especially the very last part :)

" The Only Way To Become Good Is To Train.................. " :)

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'm going to start kickboxing soon- I just need to talk with my boss' kid to find out when it opens exactly and I'm in.

10. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Cool wherever you train convince them to show you knee and elbow strikes. Even if you don't use the in sparring , use them in the heavy bag.

11. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I've done a little Tai Chi, and it does have combative base. Dont be fooled by its slow, rythmic movements, its a very powerful Martial Art when learnt well.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Gotcha.