Just a question on self-defense for women.

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Futh, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Must have been life changing for you.

The Bear.

2. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

Well yeah it was actually.

:woo: Shoot The Bear.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Domino has already nailed this, in my opinion. I would just add that, as men, it's not really our position to say whether a women-specific forum holds value for the women here at MAP. What sense is there in men squawking about how unjust it is. It wasn't designed to serve us. And it's remarkable presumptuous of us to think that we know better what women need than they do.

If they feel it holds value, it holds value. So what do you care?

Stuart

4. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

I just asked the question.

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Go to gym. Go directly to gym. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. If you do collect $200, Scarlet Mist will pistol whip you and take your money.
    I cannot emphasize this enough. You need to receive formal training. If you do not train and have not experienced martial arts, you do not have the right to discuss how others should or should not train.

Also, nunchaku are useless weapons. Useless. Why do people think that low quality makeshift weapons are better than specialized weapons designed with the sole purpose of doing harm?

On a different note, I would like to add that I can understand why women would want to have some women's only classes. All this sexual assault defense is sensitive business. Also, you have some cats that have to restrain themselves from spouting wood every time some girl pulls guard on them or they accidentally grab a handful of boob in practice.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, "curiosity" is a perfectly valid answer. Me asking "what do you care?" wasn't intended to be hostile or rhetorical. I'm genuinely curious. If the division of the forums works for the target audience, what's your concern?

7. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

I've stated it, my concern is that sexism is still as inherent in our understanding of human biology as it was 100 yrs ago. Peope say that men and women are different and well yes they are, but are we sure the reason the average women isn't as strong as the average man is biological rather then social. Are men and women attacked in different ways, yes, but what if our understanding of human biology is still fairly sexist? If it is, then it would affect how women are taught to defend themselves significantly.

8. Scarlet Mist

Dude. Read a book. Read a book. Read a muhtruckin' book.

Men and women are different. Men are harder, faster and stronger. Deal with it.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And what about psychology?

Personally, I think this should be a place where women can discuss their experiences with one another. And I can completely understand it if they would rather do so without men present. Or, at the very least, without us front and center.

Stuart

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

As a woman I don't consider the fact that scientists prove women aren't always as strong or fast as men as sexist at all,it's a fact of life that we are different. I train with men ,no women apart from me in my club,I would hate to train with women only and don't feel the need to prove myself to be as strong as them.Doesn't mean I have to train any less hard though ;)
    I also think it's good that there is a section for women and self defence,although admittedly I rarely use it,as there are specific issues we face.

11. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

I think I smell some shouvenistic bias here :rolleyes: .

12. Scarlet Mist

You don't understand chauvinism. Hell, you can't even spell chauvinism.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It isn't sexist or chavinistic. It's a fact of life and science.

Believe me, anyone demonstrating sexism round here on map doesn't get away with it. ;)

14. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I am not sure where you are going with this but it seems to me that you have no grasp on biology, Sociology, or Psychology. Biologically speaking, men and women are different (hormones, chromosomes, just to illustrate a few). Sociological values help to mold and shape woman differently then men. Women, in most societies, take care of the children, the home, the fields, etc. Men are hunters, laborers, soldiers, aka BEASTS! ;)

Psychology is far too diverse for me to delve into but there are differences there too.

In SD, most women are not raised fighting. Most males have fought before they are 10 years old. Most woman never learn to take a punch. Most men are punched and learn "it sucks". Most women, having never learned to fight or take a punch, also have no idea how to react to physical violence. Their minds are not trained to fight back. Add all of this up, throw in that women (by design) have less muscle mass then men, and if women are attacked BY A MAN, their brain locks up just long enough for their attacker to gain the advantage.

Sexist? Not in my opionion. A result of societal pressure? Possibly...

15. narcsarge

Bwahaaaa! SM you are starting to sound like Slip!~ ;)

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't bother guys. Futh has been banned.

17. Scarlet Mist

NO. NO. NO. Say it ain't so. Say it ain't so!

18. Scarlet Mist

Hmmmm. Do I get points for calling out a troll?

19. narcsarge

No SM, you only gets da pointz if you mezz up hiz grille!

AP gets props cause he swung da steeeeek!

20. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

Na bro, you do get points for riding the coat tails of those who already proved his trollness though ;)