Jungle Fever

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Matsufubu, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

Ceau guys,

New poster but long-time lurker, found MAP through Bullshido (oh noes!), but I now belong to both, as I think MAP has some good discussion to offer (and some dumb ninjas too, but hey).

My background is that of a childhood judoka who lost interest as a teenager. After uni started looking for MA again.

Joined the Bujinkan but there was too much rubbish taught and I didn't like some of the things the instructor was doing. I took up judo as well to supplement my taijutsu, and this quickly made me realise that what I was learning in the Bujinkan was almost entirely useless. Judo really drummed into me the importance of 'alive' training over 'deadly' techniques. So I'm afraid that I don't have a very high opinion of the Bujinkan, but as I said - it's down to the training methods. FYI I achieved 8th kyu but didn't get graded for a year due to the instructor teaching sanchin to kids forever and a day and neglecting students who'd already graded (e.g. ME!) Due to my experience in the Bujinkan and subsequent training in other MA's, I take a keen interest in Bujinkan discussions, especially claims to ninjahood and 'too deadly to spar' posters.

Moved away after a few months so I didn't get to grade in judo (I was junior black as child but it had been over a decade since I'd trained so I decided to be realistic and went in as a total n00b), and spent AGES trying to find another judo dojo in the area. No such luck - only TKD and shotokan karate in the area, so I just looked further afield.

Found a great gym that trains MMA and Muay Thai pro-fighters, so I joined it. I got armbarred very hard a couple of months ago, and that did a lot of damage that I'm trying to repair slowly, so my current style is "injured", really! Still, once I get some strength back in my arm and it stops hurting like hell when I extend it, I'll resume training.

I have been posting on Bullshido for a couple of years and subscribe to many of the views there (aliveness matters, ninjers suck, etc), but don't worry - I'm not a troll. Just thought it was fair to introduce myself as a matter of courtesy and to avoid being accused of forum trolling if I should back up a post by one of the other Bullshidoka who post here. Due to my experience as a Bullshido poster I may say things that offend people (e.g. "You're a stupid kid who thinks he's a ninja - go train a real martial art"), but I will not be effing and blinding and I generally know what I'm talking about, because I have enough experience to know BS when I see it.

FYI, I am 25.

Matt

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome Matt :)

Hope the injury fixes itself soon enough for you to get back into it :)

3. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

Phew! I thought you were going to ban me for my avatar!

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I dont have ban powers and dont take much notice of avatars ;)

However, now that you've mentioned it...

:Angel:

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Hi Matt, and welcome to MAP!

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to MAP, Matt

It's obvious your Chiroptera is pleased to meet me ;)

Please bear in mind that signature content must adhere to the general guidelines on suitable content per our ToS
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/maprules.htm