Jumped and mugged last night - Random reflections

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Southpaw535, Nov 4, 2018.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Nice job South, glad you're feeling ok. Several things you typed out resonated with me, and, well, hell yeah man.

Grond and Southpaw535 like this.
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sorry to hear about the mugging. Glad you're OK.

One thing to keep an eye on is your mental health following the attack. It might sound a bit silly, but pay attention to how you react to people around you including your family. I chap I know of was beaten up badly a while back and is suffering PTSD, but he won't accept that he has problems and needs some help. This has led on to his marriage breaking down and other personal issues. So keep a watch on your mental health and, if necessary, seek out help sooner rather than later.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No that's absolutely a fair comment and I completely agree. There were a couple of things in play there I think.

1. I didn't feel very much like "oh my god something serious has just happened" probably due to shock. I was texting someone before it happened and I just went back to texting them straight after and told them I got beaten up, it was when I said I'd been mugged that it felt like a more serious crime and I realised I should call it in, and also because I twigged it might be possible to catch the people.

2. I didn't really expect much to come of a report. There's a really awful sense in the UK that the police are, well, kind of a disappointment for the most part. Not through a fault of individual officers per se, but you very very rarely get to hear about the success stories and the police aren't exactly celebrated over here. So, all you ever hear about the police if anyone mentions them is their bad experiences. Sometimes that's due to unreasonable expectations that the police can snap their fingers and solve crimes, sometimes its just bad luck. Personally my faith in the police had been shaken over the last year due to the complete disinterest shown to the issues I've mentioned at work with thefts and intimidation and whatnot. Objectively I know that's because the police have to prioritise and austerity etc etc etc, but its still a thing.

3. The much bigger reason though is because I have such a strong sense of not wanting to waste emergency services time, and I'm aware of time wasters, my threshold for calling 999 is basically a murder in progress. Because the crime had occurred I thought I'd be wasting 999 time to report it after the fact, and out non-emergency contact options are, with the greatest respect to the officers on this site, shockingly crap. Now its all happened I realise it was a perfectly valid reason to call 999 and my threshold for calling it is far too high.

Grond, Shmook and axelb like this.
  4. Southpaw535

I will, I promise :p

Frodocious likes this.
  5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Glad you're OK and thanks for sharing your experience

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:eek: Wow, because of time zones all of this was written when I was asleep. But, ya, what Dunc said!

Southpaw535 likes this.
  7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Sorry you went through that and glad you got through relatively unscathed and lived to see another day. As Smurf has already stated it is easy to over analyse yourself after an event like this and replay every detail and what could of been done different (done it myself), but the main thing is you are unhurt physically and you most likely will get some mental damage (I went through the whole spectrum ie. angry, sad ect). Hope they get they get charged...

8. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Glad to you're OK

Southpaw535 likes this.
  9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Imagine what a nice place this world would be without broken people taking their insecurities out on other people.

Sounds like you did a good job and you might well have been seriously injured if it weren't for your training. Don't feel bad about not getting any good strikes in; that's a common effect of massive adrenaline dump. Keeping yourself in one piece so you can get on with your life is a win.

Most importantly, heed Frodo's advice. A good friend of mine lost someone to suicide after taking a beating while working as a doorman. Be extra nice to yourself for a while.

Grond, Mitch, Monkey_Magic and 2 others like this.
  10. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I can understand why you might not have bothered calling the police. When I got mugged a few years back, I didn't think it was worth calling them, but my friend did. Nothing came of it, aside from the police officer accusing me of trying to buy drugs from the attacker, and that's why I was mugged. Great policing.

Grond likes this.
  11. Southpaw535

Thanks mate. I have been thinking on Frodo's post quite a lot, but I do seem to be alright bar some sleeping problems. Got to use it to convince the girlfriend to play board games all day so it seems to have been worth it

Grond, Fish Of Doom, axelb and 3 others like this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

As I approach 50 I realise the priorities of young men have changed dramatically since my day :D

Look after yourself; Frodo is, as always, quite right. The aftermath of traumatic events can be odd and far-reaching, so monitor yourself and have others watch you too. We don't always react immediately, nor as we thought we would.

Grond, bluelaser, Frodocious and 5 others like this.
  13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Clearly one of these would have helped you protect yourself!
    self defense.jpg

glad you came out alright man. hope you find coping and bouncing back to be an easy journey. Really enjoyed reading your thoughts and experience in the OP

David Harrison and Southpaw535 like this.
  14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

But then he'd be up for murder, surely! :p

Grond likes this.
  15. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Wow, i'm glad your ok, on reflections you could have done more but what happens at the time happens.

What you can do is keep training, and next time in a street fight be aware of your surroundings, have space around you, be more situation aware when out and about.

And if you sense your coming under attack as the '' cobra kai '' motto is strike first, don't wait to get hit first as you never know if that could be a fatal blow.

As said keep training and i'm not sure what martial arts you do but jeet kune do is a perfect add on to your training if you don't already do jeet kune do.

Bruce lee's fighting methods books are perfect for street defence, there are videos on bruce lee's fighting methods on youtube for ultimate watching!

I hope this helps all the best

Southpaw535 likes this.
  16. Southpaw535

Cheers dude!

I did the opposite in fact, and still haven't gone back to a gym. Been probably 2 years and about 20kgs of chubbiness since I last did a proper training session. I have been looking into getting back into it all quite a bit recently though now I've finished uni, its just a question of whether I can spare any money for it. Never have done jkd though, my background was BJJ and K1 mixed into doing amateur level mma. Although I have heard there is a fairly decent jkd place around here that also throw kali in and that does sound like a fun mix.

As a general update, some of the court cases have finally occurred over the last month. A mr 'youth offender 1' pled guilty and owes me £500 along with seeing some youth offending team for a year. Another pled not guilty and I'm due in court for that at the end of October and am not looking forward to it. Been nearly a year since it happened and I barely remember it at this point. My impression is the case won't be a denial it happened, but a question of whether this specific person was involved and I couldn't ID people at the time it happened, yet alone this far down the line. The day of the sentencing for the former there were 4 other people due plea hearing but I haven't heard anything since on the results. Not too sure who I can contact to ask about that either, so just waiting to see if I do eventually hear anything. Court appearance dude wasn't even mentioned in the initial letter I got about all the other hearings and the first I knew of his name was getting the summons so a bit confused what's going on with the whole thing really.

Personally, it definitely effected me more than I initially thought it did. Would get the shakes incredibly badly anytime there was a hint of anything going wrong at work that could turn potentially confrontational which has been quite embarassing and has only just started to tail off. On the positive side the couple times there have situations that looked very close to turning violent I've been the first staff member to rush over, so that's made me feel a bit better about the whole thing.

axelb, Grond, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  17. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Your lucky not to have been seriously hurt 4 on 1.

As said jkd would definetly help you out alot and boost your confidence in dealing with violence should this happen again, which is kinda strange because when one's trained up hassle seems to stay away, i've only ever had verbal abuse from thug types when i've been out of training.

Just to add a note about striking first, in the eyes of the law / courts striking first is frowned upon as an aggressive act, but as in any defence, sometimes the best defence is a strong offence when you know violence is inevitable and beyond avoidable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Within context.

"Reasonable, justified and necessary force" comes into play there. A good statement, a good description of the situation, the emotions being felt at the time (if you're the victim here by the way....you can't say, "I hit him 1st because I wanted to") and the reason you did the strike first. No Judge/Jury/CPS/Magistrate will ever blanket dismiss the 1st hit. Because they will always ask. "why?"

And if it went as far as Court, it would all be explained as to why you did the 1st strike in your Police statement, in interview and with your Legal rep.

Back to within context.
    "I feared for my safety and possible life (of mine/others)....." is the most likely phrase you use if you lay hands on in Self Defence.
    If a female with a history of being a domestic violence victim, sees that her would-be attack is approaching in an manner, where she knows she will be struck (again). But this time she hits 1st and manages to get away...that's reasonable and justified. She hit 1st to protect herself and it was enough. Maybe she needed to hit twice, even then if its (just) enough to escape. Then that can be argued as justified and reasonable. It's when she doesn't stop...then that's the issue.

Another scenario:
    If it's 2 blokes arguing and one in the heat of the moment throws first...then it's an aggressive act. Because that strike was not in defence, it was straight out of anger.

Caveat: I say the above based on UK system. Each Country is different but in general, their is a parallel between all countries.

axelb, Grond, Mitch and 2 others like this.
  19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Laws vary in different jurisdictions of course, and I don't know where you are based, but in the UK this is completely wrong.

You have an absolute right to strike first if circumstances warrant it, eg if you were in genuine fear of violence to your person.

Any statement given to authorities should reflect that of course.

Advising someone not to pre-empt is potentially very damaging, heck it's potentially fatal, so any MAP member reading this should take the time to familiarise themselves with their local laws and ensure they train to act accordingly.

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Wow. I am for one grateful you are OK. I realize this is an older thread but...obviously it's still fresh in YOUR head, literally. :D

I thought of all the motivational quotes out there about pain and suffering in training but Ali came to the forefront of my mind. I think you held your own because you've suffered enough in training to know that pain and suffering are only as real as your mind believes. Suffering a beat down is really tough, some people it would drive them totally insane. But those of us who train for such things have a better chance of getting through with our mental state intact.

By the way, and you don't need me telling you this, but it was OK to cry. Don't let anyone tell you that was wrong or unwarranted. I'll shed a tear for you right now, because I'm glad you weren't hurt worse, and I'm positive based on your account it was due to your training.

I've always said boxing isn't training to punch, but to not get punched. Who cares about your "offense" when you are stacked against multiple idiots trying to hurt you. Boy, you are I are now part of the same club.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Southpaw535, axelb and Mitch like this.