Jujitsukas and Judokas both?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Syd, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Greetings all,

I have some deep questions so bear with my intro and set up. :)

I'm a Taiji fighter and have recently begun looking into more throwing, downing and submission oriented arts to round out the short fall in my own system. Taiji is essentially a stand up, close quarters grappling game where we generally yeild, borrow, redirect and essentially kill, maim or mangle upon first contact.

We have some takedowns in Taiji but we never go to ground or follow through with submissions... the game is generally up before then, atleast when you do it right. If I could study Chinese Fast Wrestling (Shuaijiao), I would. Sadly this is a fairly rare art outside China and I have instead decided to look at either Judo or JJJ.

It's becoming very difficult to make the right decision on which way to go in regards to downing/throwing when weighed up one against the other. So I thought I really need to talk to some experienced Judokas who are perhaps Jujitsukas as well, or vice versa, in order to get some objective opinions.

Here's how I see it so far...

The Case for and against Judo...

1. The fact that you can work with non compliant opponents training in applications is a major plus!

2. Judo is a sport which has rules so not all throws or techniques found in JJJ are allowed. The sporting aspects of Judo perhaps make it less realistic as a
    street effective combat art?

3. So while Judo allows some format for full contact sparring with a non compliant opponent, it is perhaps limited by a sporting paradigm.

4. High graded Judokas are extremely effective fighters so this is a plus, but apparently the kinds of throws allowed in Judo are not as nasty or damaging as many of the JJJ throws.

5. Judo lacks the more rounded curriculum of JJJ including, striking, locks, etc.

The Case for and against Japanese Jujitsu

1. JJJ in most schools does not allow any kind of non compliant full contact sparring due to the kind of techniques used.

2. JJJ does train a wide range of techniques including a full curriculum of throws, strikes, take downs, defence against weapons, joint locks, submissions etc... but these are trained in a more opponent compliant environment.

If I have offended anybody or need educating in any way then by all means please do. I have great respect for both arts and know the history of Judo and Jigori Kano with regards JJJ etc. What I am really looking for is a companion art that is combat effective, covers a wide range of nasty throwing and downing techniques including the realistic training of such techniques that work to most lethal effect in the street.

I would very much like to hear the opinions of those who study both, have trained both or have suggestions as regards to the direction I might best take. I know this is my own decision to make but right now I am really looking for objective views and idea's from the
    savvy in both arts.

If I could have the practical non compliance of Judo and everything that JJJ offers it would be perfect...

Best to all, Syd

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Replied in Judo forum :)

Suggest others do too, as the answers will all be in one place then.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.