Judo Throws in MMA

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TsukinoKage, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

^^^ What he said. It's all about pummelling and controlling the balance of your opponent. You need to secure control of their arm (the one on your elbow/bi/tri) and secure head control (head in the neck/shoulder socket). Once you have these it becomes more of a 60/40 position.

2. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

thanks.
    I guess I'm just used to nearly immovable wrestlers where kuzushi is so incredibly difficult, and in my defense, when you say that I was thinking of more or less the clinch from a very distant position where our arms are nearly fully extended.

3. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

Theres a time frame to process all this information. If you don't know what throw your going to do or you can't set up for the throw theres no point in even trying to use a throw just stick with the basic single-leg and double-leg takedown. That was the problem I had with trying to use judo throws in wrestling, one, I had a short time frame to set up for a throw, two, setting up for a throw can often leave you off guard causing your opponent to seize the opportunity and take it to the mat. The only time I ever used a throw outside of a hip toss was when I wrestle someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

4. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

The double hipped back breaker is always a good one, though I used it on a ten year old student once and he's still in a wheelchair!

How about the Harai Goshi shoulder popper, or the Giraffe leg take-down - but be careful - you don't want your neck stuck down there for too long!

And the best for last - the Hingu Tai 99 groin blisterer - Christ that stings!!