Judo injuries.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Kframe, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Im hoping this thread can be a humorus look at your judo injuries and how you got them.

Well I have 2 even though im new. I sprained my 4th toe when I screwed up the foot work on a throw and uke landed on it.

Now I just picked up a new one. We were doing summersualts as part of warm ups.(I consider them useless as I feel that kaiten rolling is superior) I have not done them before and landed with a thud. I hit the mat with the part of my back between the shoulder blades. It hurt for a bit then went away. Then this morning at the store, I went to pick up my son and put him in the cart. When suddenly I can feel lots of pain in that part of my back. It felt like my muscles pulled apart. So I have a pulled muscle in the most annoying place.

I hate summer sualts. Any suggestions on how to improve them?

SO what is your injury story. I hope its more humorus then mine.

2. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

I tend to get bruises on my legs at worst or jam my big toe.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

None after I started wearing padding under the gi:

• Goalkeeper jersey with back, shoulder, and arm foam padding.
    • Foam elbow pads.
    • Sports cup.
    • Foam padded cycling shorts.
    • Foam knee and instep pads.

I look like Robocop, but I don't hurt.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

lol!!

5. Late for dinner

I ripped my shoulder very badly and could not use my arm properly for 8 months after getting caught in a seio-nage. This was in an internal club comp and I was a white belt going against a black belt with international experience. Only thing was that as I had done freestyle and greco wrestling it wasn't that easy for him. Tied at 0-0 until the last 30 secs and he caught me with the throw ... fine that evening but the next day my arm was useless.. don't think I slept for 6 weeks!

Funny thing was that I got my front teeth broken in a greco match when I was 16 with exactly the same throw... go figure!

LFD

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

ICK that makes me not want to get caught in seio nage

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

LFD do you know why your shoulder tore? Is a very serious injury for a pretty safe throw.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Went for my first judo session last night. So obviously I'm a veteran.
    At some point someone's nail must have caught on a mole I've got on the side of my head, in my hair, and I ended up with blood staining my hair. :)

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Excrutiatingly painful mat burn on my big toe! :wow: :eek:

I was hobbling round for days!

10. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

LOL Frodocious I got a huge blister on both my big toes from judo. I was shocked as I had never gotten blisters there before. Darn things hurt, makes walking a pain. Literally.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Savlon Healing Gel works wonders on mat burn - I suggest getting some and keeping it in the medicine cabinet! You will be needing it! :)

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Toe jam is the worst that happened to me. :) I got a lot more injuries in karate.

13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Mat burn on the toes is the worst! Let's see...

Medial ligament in my knee from a force tai otoshi
    Complete ankle blowout when my yellow belt opponent tied up my leg trying to do osoto gari
    Jacked up fingers, which wasn't an injury per se, just an inevitability

Not too bad for 10+ years, I consider myself lucky compared to some of my mates

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for the heads up Frodo, ill look it up.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

WRT somersaults-start with basics. Put your fist on the mat, leave the other hand open. Your fist will be the side you roll over. When you can do this motion smoothly, start stepping into it. That is, take a few steps and flow into the roll without stopping. This is much faster and more fun. :D After a few weeks, you'll be on your way to somersault pro-dom. :cool:

16. Late for dinner

You know there are possibly a few factors that lead to the injury.

I'm at least 15-20 years the senior of the guy I was competing with.
    I am also lighter than he is.
    I was a white belt and this was one of my first judo type comps so I was probably more tense than I should have been. He was an experienced black belt.
    I think that my opponent was a bit frustrated and perhaps used more muscle than technique to complete the throw. It was a good throw but he had to use a fair amount of force as he wasn't finding it easy to break my balance.
    I probably didn't fall that well.. I am sure I tensed up more than I probably should have.

There could be tons of reasons... my body wasn't used to being thrown and it had been 30 years since I last competed in grappling...

It should be an easy throw if everything is done properly.... ;' )

Luckily it all healed up and I was back playing rugby... now to see if I can get back from havin ruptured my posterior cruciate playing rugby in December.... silly flukey injury after playing between 200-250 games without anything significant falling apart :' P

LFD

17. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Broken fibula. Could hear it snap across the dojo. Plate and three screws in my right ankle, surgery was just under three weeks ago.

-Mark

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

OH ECK!!! What cuased that Langenschwert? Holy smokes that will put you out for a while..

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I was sparring a guy and my foot got stuck in the mat while he was trying to throw me and rather than change technique, powered through it so my body kept going and my foot stayed behind, twisting like a corkscrew.

That's why I laugh when people complain about how they're watering down Judo by taking out some more dangerous throws. It's plenty dangerous as it is, as my surgeon will attest. I won't be able to put weight on my foot for another month at least.

-Mark