Judo Fit conditioning & Leg Speed

Discussion in 'Judo' started by 40k, Oct 1, 2013.

1. 40k

40k New Member

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend or give me any tips on getting Judo Fit. Im trying to develop a quick routine to work around. Are there any perticular exercises I should be doing that would be benificial?
    I do have access to a gym but looking to use both the gym and home based workouts.
    really I need to build up leg speed for turn-in's.

thanks

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is something you already do in class time. Some months ago I read about a standard Judo fitness test, possibly as part of a Sports Science degree with Judo. This test involves three people, in a line, the participant and two assistants about 10 ft away. Several shuttles runs ending in a Seoi Nage throw between the two assistants. Then a period of rest and repeat. The two sessions are timed. We have done Uchi Komi with shuttle runs in class. I always thought this was pointless as technique suffered and fitness could be done outside the dojo, but guess some teachers think otherwise. Some people in class are already quite fit, some are not, but have strong technique

3. 40k

40k New Member

Thanks Haru. I am sure you are right. I was kinda looking for stuff I could do at home or at the gym that would assist. Kinda like specific kettlebell exercises for example.

cheers

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres 3 parts to your Question.

1) Strength work
    2) Conditioning work (strength over time)
    3) Drilling entries / turn ins.

1) Strength work in the gym
    2) Conditioning - Cardio and kettlebells for strength over time.

3) Drill entries and turn ins, slowly and build up speed. Bunge cords are great to add in the gripping aspect into it.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You may get some idea from those clips.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01YdZV7FJCk"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNSUz5QWlY&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

Since we don't have training partner 24/7, we need to find some method to train when we are "alone".

partner training - partner = solo training

You cannot "develop" your throwing skill by doing this, but you can "polish" your throwing skill this way.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013