Judo, Aikido, Hapkido, and Jujitsu?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Yama Tombo, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

What are all the similarities between all 4? are they all about throwing and chokes?

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

well i can speak for hapkido.. it is a more rounded art than the other ones you are talking about here. there is striking, kicking, joint manipulation, grappling etc.

whereas most of these other arts are grappling and joint manipulation based.

for info you can check out ..

http://www.eastwesthapkido.com

my club site, it has some well written explanations about what it is.. as well as pictures.

or

http://www.hapkido-info.net

is a good resource as well.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm certain there's a thread on this topic already. Did you search for it?

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Judo is Ju Jitsu with most of the nasty bits taken out and taught mainly these days as a sportive pursuit.

Aikido is (Aiki)Ju Jitsu as influenced by sword art Ken Jutsu and shaped by one mans vision and spiritual attitudes.

Hapkido is Ju Jitsu as influenced by Native Korean and Chinese methodologies. They always say (Aiki) Ju jitsu, to give it that little bit of extra mystique.

But, generalising Hapkido is Ju Jitsu with more of an equal emphasis on Striking and Kicking and fancier pyjamas.

5. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

hmm at my school we simply wear white gi pants (black for dark belts) and white t-shirts.. but i certainly am familiar the very fancy pajamas some clubs wear. =)

6. Disciple

Disciple New Member

SoKKlab, I msut disagree. Hapkido may have many similar elements in throws and grappling, though I have never compared those two aspects, but I do know Ju jitsu has no where near the striking arts or joint manipulation that Hapkido does. You could say Jujitsu is nothing more than techniques taken from hapkido that have been japanese influenced.
    Howver, since no one can really pinpoint the beginning of each marital art, it is probally best to say they may have both equally influenced the other, and both are their own respective arts.

About the question, they are similar arts in that they all have throws and control, but a difference is that 3 are Japanse arts and one (hapkido) is a Korean art.

7. SoKKlab

That's what I said about the striking.

But seriously hapkido has more joint manipulation than Ju jitsu, an art known for it's joint locks? Well if it comes down to a catalogue...Either way, fancier pajamas...

8. Disciple

Disciple New Member

I am saying joint manipulation, not exactly locks. There are a subtle difference. You can move people by joint manipulation and get them to flip, turn, cant, but locks are just placed to stop people. I don't know of any particular moves in jujitsu the maniulate a joint and not just lock it. like tossing someone across a floor by moving their wrist that's all.

9. Aravi

Aravi New Member

Could one say that the grappling side of Hapkido is similar to Ju Jitsu? And that Hapkido has a striking component independant of Ju Jitsu?

just asking.

10. SoKKlab

There are quite a few 'flips' and/or joint manipulations and Cants in Ju Jitsu, not all the 'locks' are Control/ Breaks. Generally though, Ju Jitsu is more direct in its application of Joint Locks and manipulations.

I've have some experience in Hapkido so am in some kind of position to comment. The main difference I see is that Hapkido generally has more of an equal emphasis on Strikes both in it's defensive and offensive repertoire.

Ju Jitsu tends to use strikes either as 'weakeners' and as finishes, IE to open up the ability to apply a lock or throw and to finish somebody when they are in the required position, after applying said lock, cant, wrench etc.

In most 'traditional' Ju Jitsu ryu's you wouldn't really see somebody use a kick as a weapon of offence, unless it was an 'Atemi' strike, whereas in Hapkido it's not an uncommon scenario, a kick for kicks sake.

Most of the Locks, throws etc are the same or very similar in both systems, some are slightly different in their application and movement.

I will generalise here and say that in comparing the Ju Jitsu I have done with the Hapkido.

I'd say the main difference in the application is that Ju Jitsu is very big on taking the balance of an adversary then applying Pain, whereas Hapkido is more centered upon Pain Compliance, but as I only have experience in two forms of Hapkido, this may vary from system to system, beyond the realms of my experience.

For total clarification, Kwang Jang is the guy to talk to, as, I believe that he has high range qualifications in Both systems.