Ju Jitsu Check-in

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by mhyst, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jujutsuintampa

jujutsuintampa New Member

Greetings

My name is Eric... friends call me Wags. I started my martial arts career at the age of nine, in Arizona. I started in Shorin-Ryu Karate and earned my 3rd Kyu (Brown Belt). I became tired of the endless katas and became fascinated with the Ju-Jutsu class that my instructor taught. It was called Sekai-Ryu Ju-Jutsu and was very rough. I studied Sekai-Ryu for about three years and earned my 4th Kyu (Green Belt) before my family moved.

** more time passed... I joined the Air Force... studied numerous other arts any time I was able to stay in one place for a while: Shotokan Karate, Aikido, Aiki-Kempo, Muay Bplam Ju-Jitsu...**

A couple of years ago, I found out that my first instructor's style of Ju-Jutsu (Sekai-Ryu) was actually just Miyama-Ryu Ju-Jutsu under a different name. I learned that this instructor (we'll call him 'John') was at one time an Okuiri black belt in Miyama-Ryu (the first of five black belt levels in the art), but had been claiming a MUCH higher degree of experience. John even stole the title of "Shinan", which the Miyama-Ryu founder had used. John claimed high levels of black belt experience in 13 other martial arts, as well. Apparently, John was run out of Arizona in 1994, and moved to Sonora, Mexico, where he continues to spread his lies and deceit to this day.

I now train in the Brazilian form of Jiu-Jitsu, and am attempting to earn legitimate rank in Miyama-Ryu Ju-Jutsu. I've been active in submission grappling and BJJ for about three years now, and don't claim any rank in the style. If I remain a white belt forever, I'll be happy just learning the techniques!

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Train and be happy ...good way to be..

welcome

Smurf

3. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Hi,

I am located in the USA, and have studied JuJutsu for eight years. I spent seven years at one school, and reached sankyu, I have been at my new school for one year (and five days!) and I am currently a gokyu (I think). I don't worry too much about rank, so i am not 100% sure of the sytem. I am a yellow belt.

4. Alansmurf

Welcome and enjoy the whole forum ....especially the jujitsu one

Smurf ;) ;)

5. fat-lazy-git

fat-lazy-git Valued Member

im simon.....4th dan aka bara jujitsu (lancashire red rose club)( nearly 5th), been in jujitsu for over 20 years now, been an instructor for 15 years ( im starting to feel old now).was on the british jujitsu team as a reserve fighter but couldnt fight as i was in hospital having an op ( wanted to go to abu dabi....darn doctor knowitalls).
    i also do american kenpo karate and tai chi.....and still want to be able to somersualt...but at my age it gets a bit more difficult ( damn them jellybabies).
    been on the forum for a couple of weeks but only just noticed this sticky ( doh!)

nice meeting you all

6. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

i dont remember if i posted on here or not but im chris, 3rd kyu brown belt, Matsuno Ryu Goshinjitsu

7. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Just promoted then Chris? Congrats!

8. Alansmurf

Greetings Simon ....

welcome to the friendly world of Jujitsu/Jujutsu

Smurf :D

9. fat-lazy-git

fat-lazy-git Valued Member

thanks bud

10. Alansmurf

Computer Dependency

This just proves that we have become too dependent on our computers.

Are you male or female? To find out the answer, look down...

Look down, not scroll down, dummy

:D :D :D :D :D

11. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Erm, Alan? What's that got to do with the JJ checkin?

12. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yep just promoted on the 16th, the same day i turned 21 so it was a good day lol but testing was as stresful as always. I keep thinking its going to get easier but it hasnt yet lol

13. Alansmurf

Oh heck .....wrong thread !!!!!

but did you look??

:p :p

Smurf

14. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

I scrolled.

15. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi Everyone,

As my screen name suggests I am Gary and I have been training in Wado Ryu Karate since 1986.

I am currently 3rd Dan and run a small club in Walton on Thames, Surrey.

But enough about Karate, as I have recently started training In Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu and I absolutely love it.

The school where I practice is part of the official UK arm of the Hakuho-ryu Dojo in Japan whose headmaster is Shogen Okabayashi, a top Daito exponent as I understand it. The school also features Ona-ha Itto-ryu kenjutsu in its syllabus although that is a bit flighty for me at this stage.

We did get chance to practice with some wooden Kodachi this week which was great!

A good instructor and nice bunch of people as well.

Any way that’s me done so…Hi

Gary

16. Alansmurf

welcome Gary where do you do your jujitsu training \?
    Not Imber court perchance ?

regards

Smurf

17. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi Smurf,

No, but funily enough thats only about 10 minutes away from where I live, so do you know something I do'nt?

The Dojo I train at is in the Guildford Spectrum Centre. Its where I also train in Wado (on a different night obviously).

I see from your Bio that you guys are in staines. Not far from me either.

18. Alansmurf

e mail me for some details of jujitsu clubs in Imber (two of them )

regards Smurf

19. Big Lee

Big Lee New Member

I am Big Lee, and this is what a lot of people call me in the real world too...

I have studied Ju-Jitsu since I was eight years old and in recent years have studied Win Chun also.

I train mostly with my Father now, as we have similar styles and, due to 16+ years of sparring have managed to get a very realistic spar going, as we know each others boundaries so well.

I have also spent years trying to adapt my Ju-Jitsu (and now Win Chun) to suit a realistic street or self defence application. Having spent 5 years working as a Door Supervisor, I fell I have a pretty good idea of real fighting, and am now confident that I have covered most eventualities.

Having spent so long training for violence I have realised one key fact. The best bet is to walk away. Unless you are left no choice. Even when you 'win' you run the risk of serious injury.

Of course, there is always going to be someone bigger, badder, rougher, tougher and more skilled than I. So far, I've been lucky enough not to meet them. Or maybe they were one of the many I've talked my way out of.

I am very glad to see so many Ju-Jitsuka's on here. I thought we were a dying art.

Long live 'The Gentle Way'....

20. Alansmurf

Lee welcome and very wise words you have sytarted off with ...

Take care and enjoy the site

Smurf