Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Friday, August 2, 2019 -

5:30ish - (I can't remember exactly when I got there. :() Solo practice. CLF - Ng Lun Ma, Ng Lun Choi, Sup Ji Kau Da and Ping Kuen. TCC - Small Circle Fast Form.) Worked on 18 Lohan too.)

6:30 - I had conflicting classes- had to choose one over the other. I chose to skip stick fighting class, because the special TCC Tai Sifu taught class met at the same time. LOVE stick fighting, but a chance to learn directly from Tai Sifu, especially in a very small group setting (3) just can't be passed up. This class is only once a month, and they struggle with setting the time for it. Hopefully, it won't conflict with stick fighting class again.

Anyways, we reviewed the 108 long form. For not doing it a lot lately, I did better with the memory than I thought. Got stuck in a couple places, but not as much as I anticipated. Tai Sifu gave a couple of good corrections/ details.

7:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Started with Tai Chi pattern- all patterns - stationary, walking, square and circle. With switching. Biggest struggle for all of us is the circle switching. That has always been the hardest for me. It is just so much harder to feel/ read your partner in the circle pattern switches. Then we worked on Da Lu. Ms. M has the go ahead to start to get back to CLF! So we are easing into it slowly. Slow Golden Leopard vs Tiger with me on the defending side. Then Ms. M and I did Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern with me on the Cross Pattern side. Ms. B hasn't learned this yet.

Not sure what time we ended, but I think it was around 8:25ish.

8:25ish - solo practice. It was just two days ago and for the life of me, I can't remember what I did. :confused:

9:00 - school closes

3 hours and 30 minutes

Saturday, August 3, 2019 - Work all day/rest day.

Sunday, August 4, 2019 - rest day

2018 Total Hours = 684 hours and 06 minutes

2019 Week 31 = 11 hours and 10 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 359 hours and 15 minutes

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. aaradia

Monday, August 5, 2019 -

6:30 - Mr. L was there. We were set to practice later in the evening, but he asked Tai Sifu if he had time to look at our two person TCC materials. Tai Sifu had no other commitments and kindly agreed to do this. All pattern practice and Da Lu. Got a few details/ corrections in Da Lu that were particularly helpful. Also, corrections on pattern, although the focus was more on Mr. L. After all, this is for his test and I just benefit by being his practice partner. We practiced with the corrections in mind after Tai Sifu left.

7:00 - CLF group class.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da, Ping Kuen. Geez, it was only yesterday, but I can't be sure what else I did. The thing is, part of my memory issue is I get confused with what I did just now, vs what I did the practice session before that. I know I didn't do wooden dummy or 3 section staff. Because my thumb issue has been bad and these can aggravate that some. I think I did do Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi. TCC - ran through my format, although I did not quite to an exact format as I did stop to re-do a couple of moves with corrections I am working on. but mostly format mode. Double gim, Wind Chasing Fan, 9 dragon spear, Buddha Palm and Small Circle Fast form.

I do this thing to prepare for test. Things can be called out in any order. So, I lay out my forms 1 through 5. The order changes every week. Then, I ask a fellow student or instructor to pick a number. And so on. This helps me with doing things in various random order without knowing the order ahead of time.

After that, I worked on the Fajing form and worked on my script skills, trying to learn more of the 18 lohan. I made progress, but got stuck on this kicking part. I will need an instructor to help with that. The script directions seem weird to me. I am not understanding it. I will ask my TCC instructor for help during my lesson on Thursday. Also did the TCC saber form.

10:04 - School closes

3 hours and 34 minutes

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. Started detailing out the beginning of the 108 long form. Then some stationary push hands drills. Then, a couple of matches.

7:00 - CLF forms practice with Ms. R and Ms. M. Ms. T is still out on vacation. Because Ms. T is out though, we could add black to senior black sash forms to our practice. Sup Ji Jit Fu, Ping Kuen, Small Five Animal, Siu Moi Fa, Ng Lung Ma and Ng Lung Choi, Spear, Hand Breaking Fan, Stick.

8:00 - CLF Private lesson. As usual, Ms. R stayed to help out with me learning two person forms. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern with me on the Plum Blossom side. Review and learned more of it. Then Ping Kuen, Yesterday,when I ran through this, I finally felt like I was making progress on the memorization of it. And again earlier in my practice with Ms. R and Ms. M. And now again during my lesson! Yay! Finally! That is how it goes, and I have been long enough to know that. One feels like you will never get it down, but if you just keep practicing, the breakthrough WILL come. After this, review and corrections of Ng Lun Ma and most of Ng Lun Choi. Not a lot of corrections though. Mostly, about bigger shuffles and more waist turning. . The lesson was over, and I mentioned I forgot to have him correct my script writing endeavor for Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern and would have him do it next week. But he kindly offered to do it right away. (I think he likes that I am taking such an interest in this. It isn't common, even among instructors. I am a big old MA geek!:D:p)

8:35 ish - Practiced Sup Ji Kau Da

9:00 - School closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 - Evening shift/ Rest day

3. aaradia

Thursday, August 8, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. There have been a lot more intermediate/ advanced students in class lately, so we have been gong through more forms in a class than usual, even with corrections and details given. I came in on the last part of the 40. Then the Plum Blossom fan, 32 Gim and the first part of the 108 long form.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ advanced CLF class. Form details and corrections day. Formal exercise. Tai Sifu complemented me on my deeper stances. I feel like I was really stiff in TCC class and high up, and it took me a long time to warm up and get lower. But I guess I did get lower finally. Yay!

After that we partnered up and worked on the 9 star two person form. I was teamed up with a teenage male and he was doing great on it. I was really surprised to hear he was only taught it yesterday! Now, He has done it in this class before, but only rarely. He did it better than some people who have done it awhile. I was really impressed!

After that we did the stick and staff forms.

Oh, Tai Sifu mentioned that they have chosen the Grandmaster Seminar forms. But they won't say what they are until the official announcements. He won't take bribes to tell me sooner. LOL! I asked!

8:00 Private TCC lesson. Started off with asking him to help me through a part of the 18 Lohan that I couldn't figure out through the script. The directions for this section confused me. After that, we did Small Circle Fast form, Buddha Palm, Double gim and Wind Chasing Fan. He didn't have a lot of corrections. He said he wished we could do the test before October when GM comes down. It wasn't perfect though, he had a few corrections, and he did notice my fajing was not as sharp as usual. I was feeling it too. The moves were just not quite with the right snap or something. I was having a bad fajing day! Like a bad hair day I guess. LOL! My stances were lower, but my balance has been a bit off all day today too. I noticed it at work earlier too. (My ear is itching and bugging me. I wonder if I am fighting off an ear infection?) But overall, things went well. I have a good handle on details.

8:30 - worked on 18 Lohan.

9:10 - left school.

2 hours and 40 minutes

axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Friday, August 9, 2019 -

6:30 - stick fighting class. Eh, I am kind of dissatisfied with this class lately. But I am not going to go into detail here about that. We will see how things go the next few weeks. I will talk to my Sifu if need be. Anyways, drills, followed by matches. I was partnered with a person where it was his first class. We had several new people in class. So, that is good as the attendance for this class has not been good for awhile.

7:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Started off with TCC- Da Lu. I told them the corrections Tai Sifu gave me on Monday working with Mr. L. Then all pattern. We are all seeing progress every week. Particularly in the circle pattern, which has always been the most problematic for me. Ms. M is still working her way back into her CLF, so we did CLF two person hand sets only. And more slowly and lighter power than usual. But it is a little more every week! 9 star & both sides of Golden Leopard vs Tiger. Her and I tried to do Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern, but we got stuck a few moves in and couldn't figure it out. No instructor that could help was available. I had that side down, but am now learning the other side and am now getting confused between the two sides. This is a usual step in the learning curve of two person sets. It's frustrating, but time and more practice will happen and it will get better.

8:30ish - Solo practice. I think I did some 18 Lohan?

9:10 - left school

2 hours and 40 minutes

5. aaradia

Saturday, August 10, 2019 -

9:35ish. Two person practice with Ms. R. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern- both sides (up to what I know of the one side I am learning). Worked through my confusion and sticking points. She had some sticking points too.

10:00 - Advanced push hands/ Moving step class. Various drills and matches. The moving step was all matches.

11:00 - Sparring class. Started with a drill for catching the leg and pushing. Which was weird because we don't allow this in our sparring. And normally that would be cool, except we were on cement, not mats, and the instructor wasn't teaching falls. Even though there were a lot of less experienced people in class. I don't know. I just wasn't happy with how the instructor went about it, no disrespect to him. I took a fall, but I do know how to fall properly. Still, it didn't seem worth the risk of injury. I told my partner, Ms. R, that I wasn't going to do this drill and suggested she work in with other students, but she was fine with having us do something else. So, I told the instructor I was not ok with that drill and asked for another one. He gave us one. After, we all did various drills that had to do with defense against a kick and then countering right away with combinations. Then some matches.

I am a little frustrated with the attitudes of some teens in the school lately. One, during our match. just stopped in the middle of our match to adjust something- not something that came off or broke, but just fiddling around. After warning her to not just stop in the middle of a match without calling a time out but her continuing to be lackadaisical, I popped her lightly in the chest to get her attention, and explained why training like that was not a smart habit to get into.

I wish we could have an adult sparring class, but there aren't enough adults I suppose. The problem is the teens drive away some adults with their teen antics. And it isn't all the teens, some are fine. Anyways, the instructors are aware and hopefully thinking about a solution.

12:00 - 1:20ish. I took way too much time off here today. But I had a good conversation about training and MA related stuff with Ms. R. We talked about some ways we could train more advanced sparring stuff together and came up with the beginnings of a plan. About 11:55ish or so, a student who has been out with injuries for over a year stopped by. It was great to chat with him! He just tried a new treatment and we are all hoping he can be back soon.

The usual instructor for stretching class was out today, so I skipped it.

I should have worked on a bunch of different stuff, but I just focused on learning the 18 Lohan the rest of the day. Muddled through to the end for the first time. :) It will take more work to get it down, but both it and my script reading skills are coming along and making progress.

3:00 - School closes

4 hours

Sunday, August 11, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 32 = 15 hours and 24 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 374 hours and 39 minutes

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. aaradia

Monday, August 12, 2019 -

6:46- CLF solo practice = Sup Ji Kau Da. Seems to be my warm up set on Mondays lately.

7:00 - CLF group class

7:30 - Mr. L left a message that he wasn't well and would not be in for our two person practice today. So, solo practice.

CLF - 3 section staff. Gave this one a rest the last few weeks because my thumb issue was bad. My memory on this one was good! Unless I didn't realize I missed a chunk of it, which is possible. But I think I had the whole thing. Hand Breaking Fan form. Ping Kuen. Solo practice of what I know of the Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern two person form on the Plum Blossom side. Using the script I am writing.

TCC - Went through my format, Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan, Spear, Buddha Palm and Small Circle Fast form. Then worked on 18 Lohan the rest of the night.

9:40ish - School closes.

2 hours and 54 minutes

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. aaradia

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC group class. joined in on working on 108 long form. Then, some stationary push hands drills and matches. Drills had to do with redirecting an attack and immediately turning it into an an attack. Instead of just defending and defending and defending......

7:00 - CLF forms practice with Ms. M and Ms. R. Ms. T is still out on vacation. Stick, Staff, Spear, Broadsword, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Siu Moi Fa, Formal Exercise, Ng Lun Ma, Ng Lun Choi. Some discussion about a few moves and which way it is done in a particular form - the lineage variations.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Actually, two private lessons. I used up a make up lesson, because I had a lot of stuff I needed to go over. So, a full hour today. Started with the usual. Two person with Ms. R helping out. Review and learning more of Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern with me on the Plum Blossom side. We are at about the halfway point. This is where the weirdest and hardest part of the form is. It is around 21-22 seconds in this clip. This clip is one I just discovered. Love Sifu Kuttel's video's!

Next, Ms. R stayed and I asked my instructor to go over this light sparring- sort of drill thing. We had done it in sparring class once or twice, but never in depth. It is hard to explain. But one maintains some type of contact and you slowly and lightly do CLF moves on each other- the other person trying to block or avoid the move. No gear. One can do moves one can't do with gloves on, tiger claws, Leopard fists, kicks meant for the knee, etc. If one gets through, you lightly touch and push a little, but don't actually strike. Targets normally off limit are allowed, knee's throat (no contact for groin strikes still thoug. One can aim, but stop a bit short of touching this target.) Eyes allowed if we wear eye protection.

Next, I had a discussion about sparring and stick fighting goals and how to achieve them. I want to do the sparring in the ICMAC tournament that is about a year away. It allows light head contact. I haven't ever done those sparring rules in a tournament before. I haven't ever sparred in an open tournament before. (I have only done one open tournament.) I talked about the issue I was having in stick fighting class too.

Next up was him correcting my latest steps in my script I am writing.

Finally, review and corrections on 3 section staff. I did pretty good for not having done it much lately. (Because of my thumb issues.) I have the whole thing mostly memorized, just a few details I had wrong.

It was a very productive lesson. :)

9:05ish - school closes

2 hours and 35 minutes

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - evening shift/ rest day

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Nachi likes this.
  8. aaradia

Thursday, August 15, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. Detailing out some individual techniques. Then 24 form.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Blue to Purple sash techniques- I think it was those? Anyways, one level of techniques with partner drills.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. Review and corrections for spear, Small Circle Fast form and Buddha Palm. I got a particularly cool correction/ detail for small circle fast form. It was a way to get more fajing in front handed strikes, a little pull back on the shoulder- a coiling energy sort of thing. :) Finished up with detailing out the beginning of 18 Lohan.

8:30 - worked on details given in lesson for 18 Lohan. Then just 18 Lohan in general.

9:00 - school closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Nachi likes this.
  9. aaradia

Well, I didn't mean to drop off doing this log. Life just happened and I got out of the habit. Before I knew it, I hadn't posted in months. Really kind of bummed I dropped of on this, as I find tracking my workouts very helpful. :( Going to start up again for the new year.

I got diagnosed with knee arthritis, which just bummed me out. Been going to PT for it. Got a cortisone shot, which really helped. My PT guy thinks that my pain is also just imbalances with tightness, which is what I think too.

What else? I tested for my first degree senior black fringe in Tai Chi Chuan in October. 3rd test with Tai Sigung and 2nd one with Grand-master. I finally got a handle on my nerves and feel like I tested to the best of my ability! Yay! Past tests I felt like my nerves got in the way of performing to the best of what I was capable of.

Sunday, December 29, 2019 - Rest day

Monday, December 30, 2019 - Well, I am on vacation and I meant to work out a lot more during it. But I seem to have been taking it easy. I guess I needed a rest period. So....

6:30- did a run through a few times of 6 star to person with Mr. L. but we spent most of the time chatting. I was also testing out my new smart phone. Yeah, I entered the modern age and finally got one. I tested my school's streaming service.

7:00 - 9:00 - solo practice. Much less time than I planned on, but a very good effective session anyways! :) Worked on CLF Sup Ji Kau Da, Shaolin 5 animal, Pink Kuen, and 3 section staff. TCC - Learning a staff form from the script. I think I did a bit of Yin Yang 5 element palm too, but can't remember for sure.

So, this has been a big thing I have been working on developing the last few months. Deciphering and learning to read scripts. Been using my new TCC curriculum to do so. Basically retaught myself or taught myself the curriculum at this level. This frees up my lesson time for corrections. I have been very happy with my progress in developing this skill. Note: my GM tends to use CLF Chinese terms for his TCC scripts.

Instructors had the night off from their usual seminar, due to the holidays.

9:00 - school closed

2 hours

Monday December 31, 2019 - Tai Sifu had our second annual Martial Midnight workout! Best way ever to celebrate the new year!

11:00 to midnight we had a workout. Started with some calisthenics, then forms. We did the Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi forms. Then several rounds of sparring. Got to spar with both instructors and fellow students. Finished off with 4 rounds of bag work. Then we put on silly hats and counted down the new year and drank sparkling apple cider! Love this new tradition!

1 hour

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 New Year's Day) - Rest day.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    axelb, Nachi and Xue Sheng like this.
  10. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Martial Midnight sounds like a great way to welcome in the new year!

aaradia likes this.
  11. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Good to see you're back to logging! :)

aaradia likes this.
  12. aaradia

Thursday, January 2, 2020 - I was a bit late because as I was getting my stuff together after parking, a confrontation happened a bit away from me. Two guys getting in a heated fight. One hit the other on the side of the head. The guy who was hit got his cell phone, they shouted at each other a bit more and the one attacking drove away. I stayed to let the guy who was hit know I saw the hit and would be a witness if necessary. I gave him my contact information.

There is a bit of a history with the guy who was hit trying to start stuff all the time in the area. So, you keep starting verbal attacks on people, one day you are going to have someone who won't take it and will step it up. Anyways, it made me a bit late to get to class.

6:35ish - last part of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu Class. He has been having us do some padwork with a partner and working on some strikes and footwork the last couple of weeks. Classes have been awesome! Sort of like when this class first started. Haven't done stuff like that in the class for awhile and I have sorely missed it! Hope doing this stuff in this class lasts.

8:00 - No TCC private lesson as my instructor is on vacation in exotic lands for a few weeks. Solo practice. TCC - mostly working on the TCC cane form. I may have done a bit of Yin Yang 5 element palm. I can't remember.

2 hours and 25 minutes

Friday, January 3, 2020 - Got there later than I wanted to on my Fridays off work. Had dental work done. :(

6:00ish - Solo practice. TCC staff form. Can't remember the name of the form at the moment. I keep wanting to call it the name of the spear form. Yin Yang 5 element palm form. Both full version and working on a tournament version. Because it is now tournament season!!!!! Skipped stick fighting class because I wasn't feeling up to it from the dental work and the pain medication.

7:00 - Two person practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. TCC - Da Lu and pattern. CLF - 9 star.

7:30 - Make up CLF lesson from the school being closed on Tuesday for the holiday. Hand Breaking Fan form. Got corrections, but really it went rather well. Then some review and corrections on some of Sup Ji Kau Da.

8:00 - More two person practice. Ms. B and Ms. M and I did the 2 person staff. Knocking some rust off of it. Then Ms. B left and Ms. M and I worked on spear vs broadsword. Me on spear side. Both full and tournament version. Then Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern - me on the Plum Blossom side.

9:00ish - school closes.

3 hours

Saturday, January 4, 2020 - Rest Day

Sunday, January 5, 2020 - Rest Day

Going to just put hours for 2020 in week 1.
    2019 Total Hours (only tracked Jan 1st thru Aug ?) = 374 hours & 39 minutes

2020 - Week 1 = 5 hours and 25 minutes
    2020 Total Hours = 5 hours and 25 minutes

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    axelb likes this.
  13. aaradia

It really is great! I came away from it feeling all charged up and excited and ready for the new year. It just put me in the right frame of mind to embrace 2020. A very positive way to transfer from the old year to the new one. Talked to a couple of others there and they felt the same way about it! :D

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  14. aaradia

Monday, January 6, 2020 -

6:50 - Solo practice. Warmed up with 18 Lohan. Unlike most forms, this one is actually intended to be for health and does not have fighting applications. I have been using it as a warm up most days lately. It is my internal set for my current TCC curriculum.

Then CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da, Ping Kuen and Shaolin 5 animal. Ping Kuen was both full and tournament version. I stopped some during this time to help two fellow students with remembering parts of Sup Ji Jit Fu. Also worked on 3 section staff. No tournament version as I don't remember it. Hopefully, will work on that during my CLF private lesson tomorrow.

TCC taming dragon staff, Bagua cane, and tournament version of Yin Yang 5 element palm form . The version my instructor was developing during my last lesson was too short, so I added a few moves and experimented. I think I have one the right time length. We will see if he likes it when he gets back. :p Also worked on remembering Small Circle Fast form - both full and tournament version. Although I did not get to the end of the full version.

This is part of the taming dragon staff form I am mostly teaching myself from a script. With instructor help of course.

10:02 - School closes

3 hours and 12 minutes

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    axelb likes this.
  15. aaradia

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. Working on the sabre form. Then some push hands drills and matches.

7:00 - NEW CLASS! First one tonight! This came about from other students asking for a class like this. I didn't think they would succeed in getting it to actually happen. I am so glad to be wrong! This class is for black sashes specifically. Working on material to get to senior black sash. It is being taught by my CLF instructor. This is twice he has done this now, seen a need for a class and volunteered to become the instructor and make it happen. (The first class he did this was the moving step/ advanced push hands class. That class has been very successful.)

So, there are 11 black sashes at my school's location. Which is actually far more than there has been in the past that I know of. Some black sashes go on to become instructors. Others quit after getting their black sash. In my fifteen years as a student there, we have never had a regular student (i.e. non instructor) get to senior black sash rank.

8 showed up tonight. It started with some discussion of how the class will go and expectations. The instructor talked about the three lineages our school comes from and a few of the differences in moves between lineages. Then he started going over the beginnings of three forms. First was Ping Kuen, then 3 section staff. and finally. the first moves of the two person form Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom - the Plum Blossom side.

It was awesome! I am super excited about this class!

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Figured out tournament version of 3 section staff. Then went over tournament techniques, which are 3 dagger techniques. Now I meant to stay up on all techniques after my last test, but I haven't. Just too much material to work on and so I had to prioritize. So, a quick reminder and it came right back. Some details and corrections to knock the rust off of them.

8:30 - A bit of work on Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern with me on Plum Blossom side with Ms. R. Then, review of tournament version of 3 section staff. Then working on older materials, the stick form and most of Sup Ji Jit Fu.

Thing is, the new awesome class is taking place when I used to review current and lots of the older curriculum material. So now I need to reconfigure my schedule to make sure I stay up on those older forms. I worked too hard on them to let them slip away. And I need them for my next test too. It's a good dilemma, having to re-figure out my schedule due to the new class.

9:00ish - school closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - evening shift/ rest day.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Travess and axelb like this.
  16. aaradia

Thursday, January 9, 2020 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Advanced CLF Class. More partner drills with padwork. Yay!

8:00 - TCC instructor still on vacation in exotic lands. So no TCC private lesson. Solo practice. Worked a lot on trying to develop a tournament version of the Yin Yang 5 element palm form. Having trouble finding one to cut to the proper time with a smooth transition where it is cut up. Taming Dragon Staff form.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, January, 10, 2020 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. My favorite instructor for teaching this was back for the night. Yay! Drills were focused on using footwork and head/ body movement to move out of the way of an incoming strike, then moving right back in with a counter strike. Then, a few matches.

7:00 - 2 person practice with Ms. M. Ms. B was out with a minor injury. So, we focused on CLF. A little nine star and golden leopard vs tiger. But mostly our current curriculum level as we are trying to figure out which one to do for tournament. Spear vs Broadsword - both full and tournament version- me on the spear side. Cross pattern vs Plum blossom, me on the plum blossom side. She just learned the full side before her instructor (my TCC instructor) went on vacation.

9:10ish - school closes

2 hours and 40 minutes

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  17. aaradia

Saturday, January 11, 2020 -

9:25ish - Two person practice with Ms. R. Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom with me on plum blossom side. Spear vs Broadsword with me on the spear side.

10:00 - Advanced push hands/ moving step class. Drills were with regards to shuffles and then some matches. Moving step part of class was drills about footwork - pushing at angles and with proper mechanics. Then some matches.

11:00 - sparring class - drills on creating openings with certain combinations. Then some matches. 3 minute matches. Our tournament matches are 2 minutes, so he is having us do longer to build up for tournament matches to be easier.

12:00 - Ms. R and I did light power matches. Really one long half hour sparring session. Light power with head shots and leg kicks. She is helping me get ready for a tournament with more targets allowed than our tournament. Also, I just want to be a more well rounded fighter overall. We don't wear all our usual protective gear either.

12:30 - solo practice. TCC - TCC cane I think.

1:00 - Stretching class

1:30 - solo practice. TCC - More working on a tournament version of the Yin Yang 5 element palm form. Small circle fast form. Can't remember what else.............

3:00 - school closes

2 hours and 35 minutes

Sunday, January 12, 2020 - rest day

2019 Total Hours (only tracked Jan 1st thru Aug ?) = 374 hours & 39 minutes

2020 - Week 2 = 16 hours and 27 minutes
    2020 Total Hours = 21 hours and 52 minutes

axelb and Nachi like this.
  18. aaradia

Monday, January 13, 2020 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Mr. L. 9 star for CLF and Da Lu and a little of the beginning of pattern for TCC. Spent some time chatting about the death of drummer Neil Peart. We are both fans of Rush.

7:00 - Solo practice. CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da, Shaolin Five Animal. Got stuck trying to practice full version of Ping Kuen. Did go through tournament version of it though. Tournament version of 3 section staff. TCC - Taming Dragon Staff, Tournament version of small circle fast form, double fan, Bagua cane.

Dang it! Meant to do bag work, but forgot.

10:00 - School closes

3 hours and 30 minutes

19. aaradia

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. Working on the Sabre from.

7:00 - Black sash class. Second one. This time, 9 of the 11 showed up. Two new people that weren't there last week. One that was out due to injury. Continued work on Ping Kuen and 3 section staff. Then we partnered up and started to work on two person form Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom. The instructor is experimenting with how to teach this in a group setting, as he hasn't taught it in a group setting before. It worked pretty well!

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Ms. R stayed and we worked on my sparring. Main thing is I need to fully commit when I decide to throw a punch or kick. Sometimes I stop partway through it or don't follow through with full speed and intent. Then we worked on tournament version of 3 section staff.

8:30 - Solo practice. Can't remember for sure. I think I worked on the tournament 3 section staff a bit more. Can't remember after that.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - Evening shift/ Rest day

20. aaradia

Thursday, January 16, 2020 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. They were working on a Chinese New Year exhibition version of the 108 when I came in. Then the 24 and the 40.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Detailing out forms 1 & 2 of formal exercise. A bit of drilling padwork for the upward block and uppercut at the end.

8:00 - Still no TCC private lesson. My instructor should be back in town by next lesson though. Solo practice. TCC - Lots of work on learning the Taming Dragon staff form. Some tournament practice Yin Yang 5 element palm and Small Circle Fast form. Full version of double fan. Hope to get a tournament version when my instructor gets back. A bit of the cane form too.

9:00 - school closes.

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.