Jordan peterson interview

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, May 22, 2018.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well that's because you're a privileged white cis male and a protectorate of the patriarchy. Your opinion is invalid. Begone.

SWC Sifu Ben and Knee Rider like this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

So a man who vociferously campaigns against including gender identity in Canada's federal human rights legislation, and states that transgenderism is part of a Marxist plot to bring about the end of Western civilisation as we know it, to be replaced with a Stalinist nightmare where many people you know will be murdered or exiled by the state... doesn't strike you as a bit scared of transexuals or genderqueer folk?

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

DNVHMi2W4AEBeUA.jpg DNVHMi2W4AEBeUA.jpg

4. neems

neems Valued Member

Incel,as far as I know means involuntary celibate i.e a man who can't get laid,maybe their ugly or socially inept,maybe they've faced some severe trauma at some point in their life that stops them functioning normally,I don't know their all of their situations or what lead them there,needless to say they're not where they want to be in life.

And you're calling all of those people 'scum' and 'crap bags'??

Imagine someone saying that about someone who thinks they're the wrong sex or several genders at the same time or a dragon or a cat,the screeching of those people calling incels scum would be heard around the globe.
    The bigotry of the modern left really knows no bounds.

5. Dead_pool

Incel means a group of men, who can't get laid and blame this on women and good looking people of both sexes, generally they think they deserve to be able to have sex by virtue of being men, and are pro forced sex, so yes they are scumbags.....

They're literally a pro rape group, if you think that's a far left position, then you've had too much Internet for today!

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Not much I can add, it's just for those interested in watching.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

This is your framing and interpretation. I've not seen him espouse those arguments though.
    Usually when I've looked at a criticism of his expressed views which aim to call out perceived prejudice towards minority/marginalised groups I've found those criticisms to be misrepresentative of what was actually said. I've not watched much Jordan Peterson but I've seen enough of him talking about the topic you just covered to see your synopsis of his position is not validated by his actual speech.

I don't see him suggesting that women should be dominated by men. It's a provocation designed to elicit thought around the lack of commentary of patriarchal oppression and misogyny in Islam from groups whose socio-political perspective is that those things should be challenged. If his conclusion is that all women subconciously desire to be dominated by men then I'm extremely sceptical. But I don't necessarily see that case being made or see the relative value of men as being above women being offered. I might be wrong. It's certainly an inflammatory tweet.

[
    [/QUOTE]

Incel does appear to be an openly toxic hate group. Irrespective of how much empathy I can have for sexualy frustrated social outcasts who face the stigma of being physically unwanted; I find it impossible to endorse the intellectual and emotional response espoused by that collective.

SWC Sifu Ben likes this.
  8. neems

neems Valued Member

Incel means involuntary celibate,there are probably 10's of millions of men who struggle with that.
    Some say silly things online and a few have actually carried out horrible acts,but by that logic we should judge Muslims by the actions of ISIS.

Let the hate go,nothing good comes of it for you or anyone else.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ok, no matter what your opinion this is funny.

A summit for women. Lead by two males. Run by turning point usa.

How many times do you think the word "mansplaining" is going to pop up after this?

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

The people who name themselves incel, arnt the same as everyone who isn't getting any at this particular point on time.

They're a pro rape group who have commuted acts of terrorism.

When we say Incel are scum, we're not saying everyone who's been married more then seven years are scum, we're saying pro rape groups are scum, which they are.

SWC Sifu Ben and philosoraptor like this.
  11. neems

neems Valued Member

And you know that all people in this group,which could contain millions for all you know are pro-rape?
    Of course not,and I don't think you're stupid or bigoted enough to think that.

You just have a lot of hate in your heart,forgive whoever hurt you and made you feel this way and move on,not just for those around you but for yourself.
    Hatred achieves nothing.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Neems had you been to reddit's incel board before it was shut down?

13. philosoraptor

Nah that was his whole take on the C16 bill and basically anyone who advocates for reform of society. I think Peterson's smart enough to not directly say "women are less than men," but he's willing to say that a bill that protects transgender people is threatening his right to free speech, while his fans issuing death threats to his critics are not. In general he seems to think that society and civilization is for men.

You look at his writing on the need for enforced monogamy (let's take him at his word and presume that he means socially enforced and not jackbooted thugs with rifles and a set of wedding bands) as being the solution to male violence. You look at his accounts of evolution, that female mate selection is what led to the development of the human forebrain and civilization at large, and its a fictitious account of women choosing intelligent men who civilize rather than being participatory in that activity. Hell, look at his defense of hierarchy - that people who question the hierarchy of human society are attempting to thwart the natural order of things rather than attempting to right injustices - and you get yet another case of him defending one aspect of the status quo that subjugates some and rewards others.

He ties in threads of mysticism, science, and self help, so that any time the cracks in logic appear in one of those columns he can quickly pivot and say "OK, you might be right about evolution, but you're missing my larger mythic point that tells the story of how men and women relate," or "That's not what this is designed for, I'm a psychologist, this is meant to be self help," all while espousing a pretty toxic political agenda.

"I'm just asking questions!" C'mon man.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Ero-Sennin

Woman coins term to create an identification for people who suffer a similar circumstance. Word is used by minority group of bat dung crazy people. Group of people heavily against labeling and discriminating groups of people under an identity marker use identity marker meant for a larger group of diverse people sharing a similar circumstance to attack minority group, effectively hijacking the term to mean something it wasn't supposed to mean.

Damn Muslims.

Damn Jews.

Damn immigrants.

It's ok if it's done in the name of "for your side" though.

15. Ero-Sennin

Your interpretation vs the interpretation of people I know with the same political leanings and how they differ still astound me.

Are we all at least for the idea that people should be able to decide things for themselves and regardless if you think the claim of "free speech" to voice an opinion no matter how misguided or ludicrous is something we need to protect?

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

No he is right. Incel is a pro-rape group. Anyone who labels or identifies as an incel has a specific view of the world and women.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. philosoraptor

Yeah, I don't think it's really a minority of those people, they adopted that moniker pretty readily and campaigned for it heavily. The swastika might have non-political origins, but once the Nazis grab hold of it, that was pretty much it. Se also Pepe the frog, the Iron Cross, "We must secure...", etc. There are a wide range of reasons that people don't have or are unable to have sex - those guys got my sympathies. At this point though people who identify themselves as incel are not simply expressing that, they are expressing a political viewpoint, membership to a group who views the world in terms of Stacy, Chad, Becky, and Jerome.

Like I said man, I can pull quotes for you. I think Peterson thrives on being imprecise and generating exactly this kind of debate.

I agree that people should decide things for themselves and that free speech is a human right. I question people who selectively defend that right and frame issues of social protection as a marginalization of that right.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Comprehension not your strong suit is it?

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Ero-Sennin

I don't know if it's a minority group, but on a cursory glance on searching "origin of the word incel" there seems to be quite a bit of "I'm dissapointed it became this" which implies there were other people not part of a select reddit group on one corner of the internet that identified with it. If this is the case, this situation doesn't really seem a lot different than the way things normally go with labels. Who took over the label? The current group under the label of incel, or the media hijacking the term to describe them because that's how they described themselves? Obviously anyone might have described themselves in that way aren't going to use it anymore if they have at least 2 IQ points.

We can pull quotes left and right all day. You can frame somebody to be anything you want them to be. Quotes do not represent a person's full spectrum of beliefs, ideas and methods of reasoning, no matter how articulate. There's a point where you just have to listen to somebody or read about them and decide on your own instead of reading and viewing second hand information from people generally interpreting the information for you.

20. Ero-Sennin

They're either intentionally being misleading and feigning ignorance, or they are/knows people who identify with the word and do not fit the current description of the word (which resulted in my prior posts, which is just do entertain the idea and parallels it might contain for conversation's sake. It's not necessarily my point of view on the subject. Feel like I should be clarifying that).

SWC Sifu Ben and Hannibal like this.