Joint locks

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Scott194, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

Aint no joke.

2. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Any kind in particular that "are no joke?" Though, obviously, most are definitely not fun to have applied to you. :D

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Some are pretty funny looking...

4. SilentNightfall

But nonetheless still painful. Having trouble recalling a truly funny-looking lock, unless you're referring to the look on the other guy's face. LoL.

5. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

I'd say all of them are as equally painful. I mean, they make me move wherever the giver wants me to move. I think the whole process is pretty funny and amusing but then the pain kicks in then my hand goes slapping.

The one I least enjoy having done to me is the arm bar.

6. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

I always found finger locks with a kobaton hurt like hell... Did one restraint technique where you use it to push a nerve just above your top lip into your gums to make someone stand up and it was definitely far from pleasant.

7. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I love that point. I use it as a sneaky trick when fighting on the ground, that and boshuken to the ribs.

8. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

you gotta love the wrist locks tho. You can take someone down by them then finish them off with like 4 different other locks.

9. SilentNightfall

Personally, I've found locks that focus on the shoulder/hip joints to hurt a whole heck of a lot more than wrist locks and other such things at times. I do love my wrist locks though. Particularly when used with footwork that sends the assailant flying. Always a fun thing. But then again, anything that goes on fast and unexpectedly is always fun. :D

10. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

The armbar where you're using your legs. That's my favorite...

but god I hate it being done to me

11. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

ooooooohh i love that one too. That's one of those evil finishing moves. I also like the knee strike to that pressure point right by the bicep.

12. SilentNightfall

Coincidentally enough, that's one of my favorite locks to counter (referring to the armbar with the legs). Simple taijutsu usage and you're free and the other guy is not only surprised as hell, but, if you do it right, in a very bad situation.

13. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Josh,
    Can you give an example of a typical Taijitsu escape from the Armbar with the legs (Jujigitame?)?

I've gotten out of it in NHB sparring, but perhaps you can tell me a couple of different ways (probably more subtle than mine) and then maybe I can put them to use?

Any weblinks of said escapes, would love to know them.

14. SilentNightfall

Wow... Explaining the body movement involved. I can definitely try. Hopefully anyone else with vast knowledge can fill in any gaps that I might overlook. Alright... To my recollection, when someone applies the arm bar to you with the legs across the chest and the uke's thumb pointing skywards (a point missed by so many, which results in an improper lock), you must do the following in one movement. The arm with fist turned so the thumb is on top (or pointing upwards) turns so that the palm is facing the ground, all the while the arm is being pulled into the body. This might seem like using muscle, but there is a second part done simultaneously. Let us pretend the right arm is locked. In this case, as I would do the above two motions, I would also be rolling onto my right side at the same time and swinging my legs up towards the "attacker's" head. This entire motion allows you to use your skeleton structure to pull the arm out of the lock. Now, without going through it right now I can't tell you how to end it. There are so many ways to trap things of theirs and so you get into the whole "counters to counters" thing. I've just seen many a thrilling turn around on the armbar. Hope this has helped!

15. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

wow, thank you

16. SilentNightfall

You're most welcome. Anytime I can help I'm happy to do so.

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Thanks Josh,
    That's similar to how I have escaped the situation previously.

I discovered it by accident, after strengthing my way out of the lock many times, but this Taijitsu one is more subtle than my version, which is a bit hit or miss.

I'll give it a try in it's entirety next time some cheeky monkey Tries to bar my arm on the ground, thanks once again.

18. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

silentnightfall,

not saying that your technique does'nt work(I'm sure it does) but have you ever tried it outside taijutsu class? i.e. on experienced grapplers.

19. SilentNightfall

Actually, we have experienced grapplers in my taijutsu class so I get the feeling both from those who are not trained ground fighters and from those who have trained in grappling arts. Obviously there is a big difference, but basic body structure does not change. It's harder to utilize the technique, but it works perfectly if your timing is exact.

20. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I assume we are talking about the arm bar on the ground with the legs over the body. I know of 4 counters, 2 being BJJ tourment legal and 2 Taijutsu that work only somethimes.

BJJ ones.
    1. Turn into them before the sink in the lock. If you are able to grab you own arm you can maybe by a few seconds. Then push their leg behind you head. If it works, you can situp into their guard.

2. If you are able, do a back roll. I use this one alot, in BJJ and Ninpo dojos.

Taijutsu ones.

1. You know that leg going across you face, BITE IT!

2. If you are able to turn into them, use you other hand, and horse bite the inside the thigh or even better the groin. Then RIP!