Joint Care/Body care with Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by estranged13, Jun 5, 2006.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if you feel that, as a Hapkido practioner, you need any changes to your diet, or excercies due to your art.

I'm curious as to what other people do to take care of their Joints ect. to prevent injury.

I seemed to of somehow severly sprained a muscle in my neck and saw a therapist today and he's showed me an extra strech he wants me to do and he wants me taking 1000mg of vitaman C with lots of water. In addition to electric stim therapy.

anything else you guys do?

2. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

glucosamine chondroitin!

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I agree. I cracked my elbow doing BJJ a while ago, and the GC has helped a bunch. My dad takes it for his knees too.

4. MasterBob

MasterBob Valued Member

Joint Care

glucosamine chondroitin!

Bob Ingersoll
    Defensive Arts Academy
    Seaside, CA

5. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings

I resently heard that the CG is not effective.

I took for a while and couldn't notice anything?

Some of my problems are tendons/ligamnets that may need corrective surgery but not the joint itself.

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I can attest from personal experience that Glucosamine Chondroitin is very effective for rebuilding cartalidge and repairing joint damage. Of course, if you have problems are tendon-oriented and not joint-oriented, then you might want to look into other options. I'd recomend talking to your doctor ^_~.

7. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Here's an Idea. Forget the GC.... Don't do silly sh*t that hurts your joints.

8. mixmastersenior

mixmastersenior Valued Member

Be sure to try the good stuff. I got some from a Wal Mart pharmacy and had no results. Turns out it was Glucosamine sulphate. I decided to try again but went to a natural foods store and spent 4 times as much on Glucosamine Chondroitin. There was a huge difference in effect. It pays to get the good stuff.

9. JSun

JSun Valued Member

...such as deep dragon stances. Paying attention to proper body mechanics/alignment and GC has worked wonders for my knees.

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey estranged,

I've heard wonders about GC from family and friends (I don't take it as it is sourced from seafood). Definitely take it.

I've had some bad whiplash, sprains etc. to my neck from jjj and have used massage and a muscle recovery supplement to help recovery. I should rest but I'm too addicted to MA to take a break.

Make sure you sleep in a comfortable position, keep your neck warm, try massage therapy and take GC. Good luck!

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Right. Hapkido should def. take out the joint locks, submission holds, and throws so it'll be a kindler, gentler art. :rolleyes:

GC is good. Zyflamend is excellent.

12. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Well I was trying to be serious but I guess that did come across a little sarcastic.. I wasn't suggesting that at all. But rather that if your training methodology requires that you supplement for joint care then maybe the approach should be modifying the training so there is less risk for joint problems. Of course there will always be some risk, after all mistakes in training happen. But this isn't about random training injuries, this is about regular training. It seems that as HKD is a natural, soft art then it could be practiced very competently without destroying the body. As much as we should use and be willing to trust in the science of sports medicine, we should be equally willing to use advances in kinesology and biomechanics to develop more effective and safer training methods. I just think it is better to approach this from a position of prevention than from a position of recovery or treatment.

13. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

had some joint pain when i first started, sometimes for a few weeks at a time. but now its not really a problem. how long have you been practacing?

14. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Train hard and train smart!

Lets face it Hapkido hurts. "blood sweat and tears" I truly belive that to be familiar with a joint lock one needs to witness it first hand (and this can be painful). It is very important however to know the limitations of joints and to train safely. :)

Train hard and train smart!

15. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

I absolutely agree that to know some skills well having them applied properly to you is essential, and sometimes uncomfortable But wouldn't you agree that pain and injury are 2 different things? Would you agree that it is incumbent upon both the teacher and student to understand the difference relative to thier role? Is it unreasonable to to assume that, under proper training conditions, the body is being strengthened, not destroyed? Or should we expect all TKMA practioners, new and old, to accept that thier training will likely cause harm to their body? Should you need G/C?

16. ember

ember Valued Member

One of my books on stretching puts it something like this. There are several levels of stretches:

None - can't feel a thing in the muscles/joints.

Easy stretch - you can feel the stretch, but it's generally a good feeling.

Developmental stretch - the stretch is uncomfortable, but it doesn't HURT.
    (you can feel the technique is working)

Overstretching - pain, risk of injury.