JKD videos by 2nd gen student (real jkd?)

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Hi, found these JKD videos by a 2nd gen student on YouTube, apparently trying to establish video example of authentic JKD.

Just interested in people in the JKD community's thoughts are about these videos (since the comments box has been disabled on YouTube).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWkvrMSEQ0&feature=related"]REAL JEET KUNE DO !!! RIGHT & WRONG - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9t-2VE3ZY"]REAL JEET KUNE DO !!! - YouTube[/ame]

2. shift

shift Valued Member

He's fast, I must admit, and I like his economy of motion. I guess he is trying to establish the proper identity for Jeet Kune Do. His stuff looks pretty authentic. I don't think he should knock other arts, because he has to bare in mind that what he is doing may work against the average joe on the strreet but against an assailant who fights back, he'll find a problem. Not everyone is going to stand there and take hits.

I'm not a Jeet Kune Do practitioner, but I followed up on it alot and I always admired Bruce Lees principles. I think this guy captures the interception concept pretty well.

That's my 2 cents

3. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

Too good to not practice in denim with belt?

4. jkder

jkder Valued Member

Love this guys attitude hes as quick as tommy lol. Went to the site might look into it more though.

5. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

His name is Octavio Quintero and he is Jerry Poteet's top student,if not one of them.

I have a friend who has trained with him and said he was very good, but in my view he may be good at the jun fan jkd stuff. but like Jerry poteet hasn't followed Bruce lee's teaching of jkd and rather gone the other way and made the orginal material the way and a fixed pattern.

I think its important to keep what Bruce taught alive, but in the same token, move on and research your own experience.

6. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

QFT. To imagine that this fixed JKD could work for everyone is ridiculous. I laugh when i try to imagine a larger, stronger man trying to fight using "straight blasts" at the end of everything.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I'll pass judgement after I see him take it all live against a competent fighter.

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

I'll watch this when I get home and respond then.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

He is fast but flicky,unless one of those shots he throws lands in a eye or on a vital area then they wouldnt have much effect,well not on a real fighter anyway,maybe on a guy/girl who thinks they are a fighter.:)

10. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

Thank you for telling us that! :)

11. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

And thank you for thanking him - LOL!

12. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Come on, give the guy some credit. At least he telegraphs :)

13. tel

To me its poor wing chun, poor boxing, erm poor

they all like to say "this is real jkd" rubbish. must be in there syllabus, please read out loud the following statement

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  14. Gong_Sau_Rick

:confused:

15. tel

yeah ok :) first time trying to be nice, second time being honest

16. Gong_Sau_Rick

Or possibly the bandwagon eh? :D

17. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

watching these videos again, i have to agree with Yohan. Both of these videos demonstrate absolutely nothing because his opponent just stands there and takes it.

also i like how it's saying Grappling isn't part of JKD. To me these videos are putting JKD in a negative light. If you want to beat a JKD guy apparently you only have to shoot!

18. Gong_Sau_Rick

Ummm... but aren't the videos meant to merely demonstrate technically correct motions of techniques?

19. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Gong,

That's what I assumed when I watched his videos.

20. tel

no, was trying to be nice to a group i was with for little while, but would rather be honest