jkd - salt lake area?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cait, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I'm trying to help my brother find a jkd school - anyone know of a good one in the Salt Lake City, UT area? any advice/help appreciated...

2. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I have a couple buddies in Salt Lake, let me check and I'll let you know, unless somebody here already knows...

3. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

thanks Mei...

4. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

found this via internet

So don't know how good it is as it's 3 yrs old, but it wouldn't hurt to check into :)

(Kalista Academy of Martial Arts)
    3939 South Wasatch Blvd.
    Salt Lake City, UT 84124

Cost: $150.00 Before November 1st (2 days of training)
    $175.00 After November 1st (2 days of training)
    $75.00 Before November 1st (1 day of training)
    $88.00 After November 1st (1 day of training)

Contacts: Khru Will Bernales
    (Certified Instructor TBA, JKD, PMA, Brown Belt Pedro Sauer BJJ)
    (801)-792-2912

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

thanks Pac, i'll pass it on to him... prices look rather steep tho (cringe)

6. Clay Johnson

Clay Johnson Valued Member

Hi another place you or your brother might want to check the instructors list there is one instructor listed in Salt Lake, Ut at www.inosanto.com Looking the Post before last it looks like you found the one listed. The prices sound like what a one day or two day seminar would cost and not for classes, but I could be wrong.

Clay Johnson

7. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Yeah, was gonna mention that the prices were reflective of a seminar being offered back then :)

8. Clay Johnson

Yeah the only reason I said something about it was I go to SiFu/Guro Dan Inosanto seminars and have been since 1989 and that is about the cost of a weekend seminar for about last 5 or 6 years or so.

9. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

that makes a little more sense. i'll get him to check it out. thanks evrbody!

10. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Haven't heard back form my bud's yet and have been a little busy to kick an answer out of them, but what was listed seems pretty solid.

*hint; there is a fantastic Hung Gar school with reasonable pricing there as well, my buddy practices there and speaks nothing but good about it, other buddy does Wing Chun/Yang Taiji and speaks highly of their school as well, so if your brother is interested in trying out other styles...: hint*

11. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

thanks mei - if you've got the info for those, that'd be great.
    it's always tough finding a decent school in any style, so i appreciate the word of mouth referrals.

12. Clay Johnson

jkd-salt lake area?

Hi all I must say again I don't think that is Class cost for JKD in Salt Lake were probably for one or two day seminar but not class month to month. I teach Jun Fan Gung Fu/JKD concepts and Filipino Martial arts, Thai Boxing and Karate in VA. My monthly is not even close to that high. I could be very wrong but I think those cost listed are for a seminar. I would have your brother check for himself first. Hope this helps.
    http://inosanto.com/mawd/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  13. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Clay - thanks, i've sent him the info, and he's going to check it out. appreciate the help!

Mei - i think i found the Hung Gar school you were talking about, & sent him the info as well. thanks again.

anyone else who has suggestions/recommendations, they're appreciated. :D

14. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Probably haven't, it's an invitation only school, they don't advertise or publicise but are one of thee best.

I sent their instructor an e-mail asking, if your brother has any experience PM me and I'll forward it on, if he's interested can probably get him an appointment to speak with one of their instructors, know one of them and he's a great guy.

15. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

many thanks, mei. i'll let you know when i've heard back from him.

stay safe.

16. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Spoke with the guy I know, he's a Sisuk, they are excepting students currently and teach Wing Chun and Bagua besides Hung Gar, if your brother is interested.

17. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

many thanks, mei. i'm passing the info on...

18. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Cool, bud was supposed to pass me his master's contact info., didn't get to it today so probably tomorrow or the next day, I'll send it your way when I get it.