JKD MMA?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Combat Sports, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I stumbled across this video while I was looking for examples of JKD/Jun Fan being used in an MMA setting. I really liked their swift and explosive footwork. I would of loved to of seen their actual matches. Was curious what any JKD people thought:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0409BHJRZQ"]Jeet Kune Do Full Protection Sparring for MMA 2 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It just looks like regular sparring to me.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This looks like standard boxing to me.

A few things. Lack of head movement means these guys get caught a lot with shots. They also tend to back up in a straight line when caught. Means they get caught again. Not a great movement that backing up in a straight line.

Not sure why they'd need all that padding for some sparring. Gloves and maybe some headgear and they're good to go. Those full suits can't be cheap. Nice gear if you have it but total overkill for what they're doing.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If the guy with the blue gloves knew how to throw a punch with some power behind it he would have probably stopped the guy with the red gloves from continuing. Jerky, nervous, anxious movement is not the same as good footwork and explosiveness. This sparring match was full of anxiety, especially in the start of the video.

As far as the robocop suits go . . . . really? They should have added a paintball gun in the mix, because thats what they looked like they were getting ready to go do.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Looks like they were sparring quite hard to me. If somebody wanted to hit me that hard I'd probably want some protection too.

6. evva

evva Valued Member

Low guards a lot of the time and not angling off, only moving in straight lines when being attacked.
    Great knees when he got going,should have gone for the thigh as well in between the body knees,he would have been completely gone with one good one after the body ones.

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Plus there were a few times where they had the opportunity to fess the attack but backed off instead. I'm guessing that's probably a result of too much non-continuous drilling and sparring with less gear where you have to stop for safety reasons.

8. Street Stylist

Street Stylist Banned Banned

JKD has Boxing in it, but it also has a lot of bobbing and weaving, slipping and ducking, footwork, etc. just like Boxing which means that this sparring video is useless to everyone except those involved.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, Street Stylist. How is it useful to those involved? How is it NOT useful to anyone else?

10. Street Stylist

Street Stylist Banned Banned

It is useful to those involved because as a sparring video, it will show them where (if any) their mistakes were made. For that reason, it's good for personal study and reflection of self.

It is useless to everyone else because it will not -teach- you anything. The only way to learn how to spar is to get up, gear up and go spar. I mean, this video might be useful for showing other people what NOT to do when sparring. But it will not show you WHAT to do when sparring, so for that it is useless. Also, just because a video might show you what NOT to do when sparring, doesn't mean you aren't going to make the same mistakes in actual combat. So the only real way to learn is to spar. That's why I say it's useless.

In this case, you'd learn much faster from sparring than you would watching this sparring video.

Now if it was a form video showing some type of body mechanics or proper techniques in motion, that would be different.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then it's not useless to either party. Either party can, with sufficient background, use the mistakes shown in the video to inform their own training. And either party will ultimately need to spar themselves in order to internalize those lessons.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Doesnt this go directly against your "watch streetfight videos" advocation?