jkd might be stopping

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by zombiekicker, Aug 26, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Hi the jkd instructor has moved to Wales leaving two recent black belts to carry on the club, no police dojo now, training outside, I've not been back but a mate has told me it's not as intense, my kids gonna do kickboxing instead of Bjj, dunno why but she's stubborn, so I have a judo club near me and could do some kickboxing. Opinions :)

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You haven't really asked a clear question ;)

5. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

And with all due respect, if it's authentic JKD, then belts would not be used. Authentic JKD doesn't use belts, so there would be no black belts. Authentic (and I say that because there's a difference between Jun Fan JKD, and JKD), uses a numbering system 1-8. There are only 2 possible JKD lineages Inosanto or Kimura. So Instructors would have to be certified from one of them. I'm from the Kimura Lineage. If it's real JKD, then your Instructor should be from one of the those two lineage, and not any other! Also, as said above, there would be no black belts.

Now to your Police training dojo? Do you mean Police Defensive Tactics? If that's the case then your local Police Department should have a D.T. Instructor. If it's an actual school for D.T. then it wouldn't be in a JKD school, since JKD isn't normally an accepted form of JKD, (ironically, many D.T. programs use it though). I was in Law Enforcement and I'm a current Defensive Tactics Instructor, I've never heard of any "Police Dojo"?

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When he said black belts I just assumed he meant senior students.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Each to their own.

I did JKD under Inosanto lineage here in the UK.

I was surpised when I joined to find a belt style system.

We didn't wear coloured belts, but rather coloured t shirts to denote rank and remember Bruce had similar if you recall with the white circle t shirts.

Ultimately though it shouldn't matter.

A qualified instructor sets his own path. The students either like it or they don't and the "Authentic JKD" argument should die a horrible death.

Walk on.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Drop by the jkd place and find out for yourself.

Drop by the Judo place, the kick boxing place and the BJJ place, and actually train before you make up your mind.