JKD Footwork (Tackett's WNG)

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by callsignfuzzy, Jun 2, 2013.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I posted the first video on my FB page and a buddy of mine, from an entirely WC background, said it resembled WC footwork. I responded that it looked (largely) like the footwork I learned in boxing, drawing the conclusion that good footwork is good footwork. It's about being in a good position to use your weapons relative to the opponent's ability to use his or hers, and having enough balance and structure to deliver that weapon properly. Is it really "JKD footwork" or just footwork? A saying I'm fond of, regarding martial arts, is that no-one has a monopoly on a good idea.

I don't think I'm at that level where I don't think about it altogether. While I practice enough of the basics (step-drag, angle step, pivoting) to get me where I need to go so that I don't think about it while sparring, I'd like to move beyond the basics in order to set up more offense, or at least fake the other guy out. Resources like this give me some ideas I can play with.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Glad you decided to keep posting.

I think by the lineage and combination of elements, it is JKD footwork in the videos.

It was nothing against you or the videos you posted... I wanted to know if anyone else that had trained the footwork or watched the videos had found some of the footwork to be dangerous or unhealthy to use... what their own experiences had proved.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Give it a rest, Simplicity. That was lazy posting. You wrote one line then disappeared for several days. It's a pattern. I'd have been more than happy to keep YOUR thread open, if you'd actually said something to indicate that you actually intended to contribute something to it beyond vagaries.

If you want to move on, that's obviously your call. But I stand by my decision to close that thread. And if anyone feels differently, I'll happily (re)explain my reasoning.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That is true. In order to fully use the opening and rotation of the hips to change direction, the feet do end up closer together. However, the side step itself does not require hip rotation... that is why it can happen so deceptively. It is what is combined with a side step that uses hip rotation that can bring the feet together.

Here is a little gem on footwork to me. The side step does not bring the feet together, it is the turning of the hips for the half-moon step that brings the feet together.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQX3BQQLdc"]Side Step and Kick Counter - Female Muay Thai - YouTube[/ame]

The video is on side stepping followed by a pivot (half moon step). I think most consider the half moon step to be part of side stepping because it aligns the body to attack (in the case of the video with a kick). I treat the two separately depending on the drill. I consider the side step to be the foundation to the juke step. A juke step is just the combination of a quick step before and sometimes after the side step.

The woman in the video is not bad, but the true gem to me is the instructor. At 1:01 in the video he is showing the student some foot work and he does a juke step (a small quick step followed by the side step). Anyway, it appears that the student is mostly doing a side step, but the instructor is doing a juke step. Slightly more complex and deceptive movement.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Stand corrected dude, you mean 3 hrs you locked it.. Within 1 hrs you was already giving me hard time about it....So who's calling the kettle black here...Just cause I don't post 10, 000 times doesn't mean I don't have anything to offer... I have a full time school to run... It's al right though you can control your bubble all you want... So please lets end it there and I won't post anymore... (o_0)

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Called it

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Why do JKD guys tend to move their hands in little circles when side-stepping?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You already said that.

As I said, it's been part of a long-standing pattern with you. You drop some vague question or statement like it's a knowledge bomb, disappear for a while, and then come back to see who survived enlightenment. I'd be ecstatic if you were actually in the habit of saying something substantive. I haven't got a doubt in my mind that you know what you're talking about John. Not a doubt. But your posting style comes off like you're so much wiser than the rest of us that you have to ration out this stuff, so it won't blow our minds.

9. David Harrison

Phantom Eskrima sticks?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That could actually be part of it, yes. It's a sweeping maneuver on the low-line (palis-palis). I see a lot of Dog Brothers clips with that movement.

11. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

The hand movements also have the opponent look at my hands and not what my feet are doing.

12. David Harrison

Yeah, I presumed that too, as the head and hands do a little side-to-side shuffle.

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

One has to be careful not to make it too much of a habit or else it is predictable. But yeah that is hw i do it. Just like the Biu Tze to shuffle up side kick.

14. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

This is kind of like me now. My entire first year of JKD, my ABSOLUTE main focus was footwork. I really think that after that year, I was able to progress quickly because my footwork was pretty good and everything flows from there.

Now that I am at a kickboxing oriented school, they are attempting to completely change the footwork that I worked so hard on....:(

15. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

If anyone has the chance, check out Sifu Keith Allan's footwork.
    His JKD method is dynamic yet simple...and super fast!