JKD & FMA

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by pseudo, Jan 24, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Just a quick question im sure will have a very short answer, I've come to notice that a lot of JKD instructors are also FMAist as well? Are the FMA becoming integrated into JKD?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

No. True JKD doesn't have it.

:evil:

*runs away*

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

YOU'D BETTER RUN KORYU BOY!!!!!

5. Dean Winchester

You're just jealous of my lineage.

6. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh, believe me. Much more than that could be and has been said, my friend. Writing an article about it makes it look like it's really not controversial. But believe me, many a virtual battle royale has been waged over the involvement of FMA in JKD. It's a contentious issue, to be certain. So, to keep this a discussion, what are YOUR thoughts on it? I'm obviously good with it. My personal connection with FMA came first (though it came as a result of researching JKD), so I'm all for it. In fact, my only official teaching credential is in FMA.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Honestly, I have no thoughts on the subject matter, I'm completely unfamiliar with both arts however let it be know that I really really want to take FMA. JKD is an art that im only familiar via Bruce Lee's movie :p and I've never been all that interested in it. I always thought it was underdeveloped because of Bruce's untimely death so I never bothered researching and its never been available in my part of Canada. Only since I've joined MAP have I developed an interest in JKD and that only came about because of FMA. Honestly if the two systems complement one another I see no reason why they shouldn't be taught in unison.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I dont think Bruce practised much if any FMA in HIS JKD mix but plenty of others do and why not they are great Arts,personally I think a stick is just a stick and Ive seen the same or similar angles of attack/counters in Krabee Krabong and other MA that involve weapon training:)

10. roblen

roblen Valued Member

great questions and good answers so far.

anyone under Dan Inosanto's lineage has quite a lot of FMA. for me I have gotten to the point where I define my JKD as panatukan with some hubud and trapping and thai kicks. weapons kali (obviously) and ground BJJ.

The Jun Fan is fun and of course I have all my training in the Paul Vunak stuff. I haven't disregarded this but then im not teaching so I do what I want.

good luck with the training

11. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Okay,

Out of interest who are figures within JKD who are purist and who are figures who practice a mixed JKD system. Dan Inosanto is a name that comes up often in for the FMA/JKD system.

For the record if “Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” is One of Bruce's philosophies, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that JKD was created to be flexible, so there should be not such thing as Pure JKD?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

- Sijo Lee

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I reckon saying that JKD does(n't)/should(n't) include this or that; or talking of "original" or "true" JKD goes against the core concept/philosophy of JKD in the first place, doesn't it?

14. Dean Winchester

Only people who didn't get the true JKD say that....

:whistle:

Where's Hannibal? :D

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not really. There ARE things that don't fit in with any of the (sometimes contradictory) concepts outlined in JKD. Part of the reason that JKD Concepts people tend to group around certain styles or methods is that those are the ones that hew closest to the overall spirit of JKD (whatever you interpret that spirit to be). For instance, you won't find a lot of people claiming that jumping spinning kicks are part of JKD.

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Must we go the spinning kick route? :D

But I understand what you're saying. Point well taken.

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

But if your JKD Is about being awesome at applying spinning kicks is that not YOUR JKD guys?:)

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

:)

Well, sure. I practice it alongside MY FOIL FENCING (in which I go empty handed and use a lot of head butting).

19. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i guess i got both sides of the stick here, on the one end i practice jeet kune do which doesn't have anything in it, BUT jeet kune do, and on the other end i practice jeet kune do which involves cross-training in other arts, particularly FMA since it blends so well with wing chun, the original basis of JKD

does JKD have FMA in it? i would say... no, it doesnt... but JKD is not your typical martial art, it is an ever-evolving martial art which is all about taking what you need, and discarding what is useless to you, and making the art your own, so many people will practice FMA with JKD and i dont see why not, it cant hurt, as long as you follow the JKD guidelines that bruce lee set in stone

ironically, i recall hearing from daniel lee himself that bruce lee didn't really like FMA, especially kali, at the time of his death in 1973, and yet bruce lee himself learned a few things in FMA from dan inosanto, to mention someone specificly, and here we are today still cross-training in FMA as if bruce lee never said anything

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What makes you say that?

What is a typical martial art?