Jena Six

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by wrydolphin, Jul 28, 2007.

1. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

2. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

This is completely unbeliviable, aren't there laws against having a "white only anything"? And how these sickos get into a high positions is beyond me.

(I'm a little annoyed at all of this at the time of writing and my post reflects this)

3. wrydolphin

I couldn't believe it really. I heard about the story on an Episcopal deacon's board and I kept waiting for them to say it was back in the 60's or 50's. I was absolutely stunned when I figured out that it was a current trial.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think this has been mentioned on here before somewhere. Maybe somewhere else. Disgusting.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  5. Verx

I would sign the petition but it says US residents only.

6. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I caught the end of the BBC documentary about this. I didn't really understand what was going on until I saw this.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Must have been where I saw it.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ridiculous, why isn't a bigger deal being made out of this? Are there no politicians making their voices heard? Has the President had his aids spell out the story in his alphabetti-spaghetti yet?

9. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

I signed the petition, thats just sick man...

10. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

The President is not involved because the crimes are not federal. As for why there hasn't been a flocking of politicians to this story, one of the problems is that the student beaten was not involved in the noose stunt. There was some allegation that he made racial comments to the attackers, but nothing else.

Assuming that the victim mouthed off, the question that ought to be asked is whether the penalty for making racial insults is to be sent to the hospital. Assuming that the answer is "no," the real important question is whether attempted murder is too extreme a charge to make. I would think that if the intent had been to kill, the victim would have been killed pretty easily after he was knocked out. The fact that the attackers did not do so implies that murder was not their goal.

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Wow, I had never heard of this before. I guess it was not quite as important to the media as Lindsay Lohan's latest encounter with the criminal justice system. I think it's a shock that this is going on in 2006-7. Can anyone comment on what the environment in this area of Louisiana is like? I have never visited that state myself.

12. wrydolphin

Its south of Monroe, which has a pretty bad rep, actually. I don't live in La and haven't been back to do much for a long while and even when there visiting family or just to hang out, we mostly stayed in New Orleans. But think uneducated, very poor, and more then slightly corrupt and you'll start to get a feel for it.

13. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

by the reasoning should all black only groups be outlawed aswell.surely any any single race group wether it be white or black is just as bad. after all theres miss black america why no mis white america?
    racism unfortunately isnt just a white mans crime

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

well said Madhoose, racisism of any kind is just plain ignorant!!!!!!!!! treat people as you wish to be treated

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmmm... I'd say this shows a profound misunderstanding why such 'blacks only' groups came into existence in the first place in the US.

The race issue in the US is rarely ever as simple as just black and white.

16. Verx

From wiki:

17. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

I just looked at the petition and have to ask if I am the only one who is concerned about the language? According to the news stories: Four months after the noose incident, six students attacked another student (who was not involved in the noose incident) and sent him to the hospital.

The petition says (1) that the gang up was brawl (implying several students), (b) resulted in no serious injuries (ingnoring the concussion and sending the victim to the hospital), (c) and that the students were punished for opposing segregation (they are being punished for a 6 on 1 beating). The people at the DOJ are smart enough to read the papers and, more importantly, the court transcripts.

Again, the real issue seems to be not whether they should be punished, but whether attempted murder charges should have been filed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  18. wrydolphin

Yes, obviously putting juveniles up as adults in a school fight while allowing a man who pulls a shotgun on kids (who have to get it away from them) is just hunky dory in La. Not to mention the fact that one white kid attacked a black kid with a baseball bat and once the bat was removed the black kid was charged with theft.

Yep, all things are well in Jena.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

This may be a case of "just read an article on it", but it makes me wonder if this is one of those prosecutor trying to push to a plea bargain.

Power Outrage

20. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

I signed it. It's a shame to see the poor shape we're in.. It's just ridiculous men with silly suits and ideas.. :rolleyes: