jedi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by raaeoh, Dec 26, 2015.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Since my oldest was about 4 years old he has wanted to be a jedi. This desire fell to the back of his bucket list for awhile,but since the new movie he has that spark agian. He's is 9 and has been doing a martial art since 6.

I have told him from day one it takes a out 20 years of dedicated training to become even close to.a jedi with at least 5 years each of stand up, ground, weapons, and of course diplomacy (conflict avoidance )

Here is his current Training schedule. Boxing, bjj/wrestling, karate style point sparring. 1 hour each class per week. I teach him the basics of staff, and kendo when he asks.

In my shoes what would you do different? For the record ninja he said you are cool but not the same. ;)

2. raaeoh

For the record he knows that the jedi are not real. He just thinks that a skill set like theirs is neat. No jedi mind trick stuff. It hasn't worked in 5 YEARS .lol

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

FMA instead of kendo/staff

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'd add in some freerunning and/or gymnastic skills to that training - that's why I'm doing them (whoops, did I say that out loud - my 42 year old inner child is taking over again... :D).

5. raaeoh

No fma training for his age in my area. And I am in no way up to the task of training him with this. ... yet

6. raaeoh

Not the same I know. But we play a game called 2nd son on ps4. He wants.to do free running as well because of this game. Guess I need to drop 30 lbs and join him. ;)

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Obviously Ray Parks did Wushu, so if he has an interest in the dark side, maybe add that?

8. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Bit of a nerdy longshot, but if he's into playing Jedi...
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0XVD0Ni6Xw"]Europarena 2015 - Lightsaber Combat Tournament - YouTube[/ame]

The whole "eye/face protection is not mandatory" thing is a little concerning mind.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Wait....wha?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

11. Mushroom

12. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

Ah well now, in the UK, 176,632 gave "Jedi Knight" as their religion in .the 2011 census. This is one of my favourite stats and I am delighted that you gave me a chance to use it. Not sure if it is a uniquely UK phenomenon?

13. Mushroom

Definately not a UK only event

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There's also classical fencing in your area, which is hard to find. He'll learn great point control there. For other sword stuff, the Meyer Freifechter are all over Florida and are quite solid.

16. raaeoh