Izumizu-ha

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by izumizu, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

You're right, I actually AGREE with you.

The problem however is that after we did that several pages back, izumizu wasn't content with our opinion and continued to argue his point on several levels he wasn't qualified to make, additionally the more he did this the more it became apparent (to me at least) that not all is as it might seem. Hence, here we are.

Childish.. perhaps but on the other hand, I might just have a point to all this which I have't brought to bear. Yet.

2. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Yep, again that was my choice to share that information. And that is just a small snipet of what I did while I was in the service, hardly sharing at all what I did during my enlistment.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

dave...i can tell you're extremely passionate about your art(s). i wish you were in chicago so i could train with you.

4. Dave Humm

Sure, we all have choices we can make, mine will be to debunk whatever bad advice you give out to people.

Shall I expect you to respect my choice given that I am to respect yours.

/end thread

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Dave Humm

Thank you for the kind words. My tenacity is an asset as far as I'm concerned. Some would argue that however :)

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Seems like that was a choice you made long ago, and sure, I'll respect that choice.

7. Dave Humm

/end thread.

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

I will say that in much of the aikido thread there is an emphasis on atemi. In fact in much of the advice given in skills and technique, atemi seems to play an important role according to many of the folks that post in the aikido forum...I am not using this as an excuse to say that what I posted does not have consequences, but a strike to a vital part of the body can also have consequences (even if a non practitioner finds that vital part accidentally).

Additionally, there is also much advice given out in the form of tanto tori in relation to aikido as well, also involving strikes, a potentially hazordous situation in which, even training with wooden tanto, either person can be injured.

Again, I am not excusing myself for posting my solo training drills, just making some comparisons to other posts, and taking into consideration the audience that may be reading here on MAP.

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

鼬の屁は臭い

10. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Hang on, I still have to break out my kanji dictionary for the last one you posted...

11. Dave Humm

Mate.. are you going to let this drop ?

No one least of all me expects you or anyone to "excuse themselves" for posting anything PROVIDED, it's based upon sound experience and knowledge, thus far you won't discuss what you're basing your experience or knowledge upon.

See the problem

12. Kogusoku

鼬の屁は臭い Itachi no he wa kusai.

Itachi no he refers to someone who just can't help but get the last word in no matter how petty.

"Itachi" (鼬) is weasel, "he" (屁) means fart and "kusai" (臭い) means stink.

Do the math.

13. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Really, that others who have described and shared their expereince and rank and knowledge can say don't grab the arm when dealing with tanto tori, instead, execute an atemi and then...

And it is not considered bad form or advice if some kid comes along and reads that and starts practicing with his little brother because they read in here on MAP

Versus if I say it who chooses not to share my rank/grade? Consequences are consequences regardless of the advice given, description of technique given, or rank of the person sharing information.

14. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

And samisen?

Also, this is a thread entitled Izumizu Ha...

15. Dave Humm

Name me those people you refer too, and I'll tell you if their advice was as bad as yours.

16. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Don't need to name them, as you can see I won't name the names of my instructor, I won't name the names of those who also posted technical / practical information here on MAP that could have consequences for anyone reading MAP, regardless of thier rank or experience, if a little kid comes and reads it, or someone who doesn't have a martial background comes along and reads it and pounds thier little brother into the coffee table, the consequences are still the same. Even worse if they decide to grab mistakenly a knife from the kitchen as opposed to practicing with a wooden tanto.

You can't say the consequences won't apply just because one who posts here may or may not know what their talking about. There are always far more guests here on MAP than their are members.

17. Dave Humm

You just want attention, don't you. You couldn't see when there was a point to end this farce, you just had to keep it going.

So much for your aiki as a concept.

*unsubscribe

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Errr... not grabbing the arm is really good advice izumizu.

There are lots of approaches to knife defense. I think the issue is not the advice but what fundamentals are already in place. For those with almost no background in knife training, grabbing the weapon arm and controlling it might be one of the ONLY options that can work for them. There are plenty of examples of training systems from S.P.E.A.R. to others that effectively start off this premise of controling the weapon arm and working off the flinch response.

However, a sharp blade will cut to the bone with almost no effort required. I almost put a sword completely through my hand when I was younger due to my stupidity with working with a live blade. I got stitched up and no nerve damage, but I got a scar all my life to remember my stupidity.

Anyway, if you look at Aikido, do you consider Iriminage as a grab of the arm? I should hope not in the context of 99.9999% of the time, however, iriminage is one of three techniques that I got to work when training knife with a person that was more than twice my size. Grabbing the guys arm was a sure way to get pounded and cut.... lucky it was training and not the real thing. The guy could single arm curl more than my body weight.

I firmly believe that getting off the line of attack, atemi along with checking the blade arm to the side or into them is one of the knife defense skill sets that should be practiced. This is irimi. This was ONE of three techniques I got to work fairly well in knife training against the one that was more than twice my size.

19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Actually, it is not a matter of me wanting attention for myself, Dave. I am izumizu. Nobody knows who I am or what rank I hold, or style I practice. I am just a guy sitting here at my keyboard typing onto MAP. Since noone knows me, I could not get attention, nor recognition, nor anything else that may come my way via ones and zeros through my monitor.

20. Kogusoku

That's all he has ever been after.

Last year, the late Koyo (God rest his soul) saw this when Izumizu started posting as did anyone who knew their stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.