Itunes Hell

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jsmith, Aug 25, 2006.

1. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

ok, I'm really embaressed asking this as I'm usually very good with computers, but here goes...

I got an ipod shuffle last night and I'm having a problem with itunes. I keep all my mp3s in one folder, no ID3 tags or anything. Everything is renamed "Artist - Album - Track Number - Song.mp3" when I download it, and stuck in that folder with the ID3 tags removed. I can get itunes to see the folder, but when I add files or remove them, itunes doesn't synchronize (new files don't show up). I can't for the life of me find a refresh button, and when I googled my problem all I could find were posts telling you to use itunes for everything (organizing, playing, etc.).

When I got the thing, I assumed that the interface would be "here's a file browser, select the files you want, drag them onto your ipod" Is there any way to do this?

Am I missing a setting or something?

2. elektro

elektro Valued Member

I don't know about that, but I have heard of an alternative program called "Yamipod" - haven't tried it but apparently easier to use and actually stores itself on your ipod so you can plug your ipod into any comp and use it. Apparently.

http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

Don't take my word for it though I haven't used it. Haven't even got an ipod - the g/f has one though.

3. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

maybe you have it set to auto synch, not manaully update your playlist.

go into the preferecnces, click on ipod and select manual update for the playlists. if you are on auto-synch that might be causing your problems.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  4. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it is an ipod setting, as the problem is with itunes. Everything I have read so far has said that if you want to see the files in itunes you have to add them to the itunes database manually as you acumulate new files. I just thought there might be a way to avoid this.

I will look into the other itunes replacements, I didn't realize they existed.

5. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

itunes is a great piece of software i would give it a chance.

do you not need to do the above for any mp3 player? you can choose a whole folder to add.. just drag the folder into the library or click [file] [import] and choose the folder you want to add.

i would also be sure to turn off the, [copy files to itunes library] option as well. itunes will make copies of tracks adn put them in your itunes folder i find this adds to hard drive space issues. you can find that option in the [preferences] [advanced] tab.

6. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

Ok, I solved my problem. If anyone else is going through this, this program will update itunes with whatever you've added and deleted from your folders.