It's All About the Strength

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i can provide name and videos of him winning in grappling comps if you like, but have to ask him first lol

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if that was aimed at my comment then the guy wasnt new, he had tained in the states and brazil and was one of the most technical grapplers i have ever trained with, he was also very very strong

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I think he was refering to the guy in the OP's story.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes, I was. we all know its about the hips man.....

5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

For me I have always been lucky. I am a strong guy naturally despite not really doing any strength training or looking that strong.

When you look at MMA fighters and grapplers like Palhares he is stong and skilled. Another great BJJ grappler who I liked and was all action is called Macaco, great to watch and not a lay and pray snore fest.

These are strong guys who have worked at being strong and they use it which is great. When I train people sometimes they can almost be made to feel guilty about their size and strength and taught not to use it.

Some people view strength as almost an admission of failure, "he is good beacuse due to his strength". Being honest us strong guys find quick people just as anoying or ones with endless cardio.

Simply you should use what you have, improve it and the areas you dont do well in.

Most combat sports have weight divisions attached to them and with good reason but the original poster should not look down on the other guy because he was bigger and stronger.

As you get older you will fill out more, its just life but don't knock thoes stronger than you, just don't play into their strengths.

So many times I have seen fighters who I like lose because they have tried to man up against someone stronger and then get pasted. Looks at Andrei Arlovski, he should have used his grappling ability not got into a slug fest with Tim Silvia.

Strength is a good thing if you have it don't not use it. If you don't and the other guy does try to stop him using it. I hate quick fighters but I don't bleet on about how unfair it is I just hope my power beats there speed.

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

With ya Sonshu. I used to hate people who had a natural real-time awareness of their movements when they were grappling, because I didn't. I'd still be processing my last move when whoever I was rolling with was on their next one, then wonder why I got ragdolled so much. It ****ed me off half to death because all anyone saw was a weak girl who couldn't keep up with the guys.

In groundwork, though, I was pretty good, because there was less need to be aware of yourself every damn fraction of a second. Vlech. I miss grappling.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't think you would have been seen as a weak girl so much as an inexperienced grappler

8. Dead_pool

Using any attribute can cover up a technical deficency. I like guys who are strong as tge majority only get better with good coaching. its hard to have self awareness of your flaws if you only ever go 100% and overwelm others with strength.

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That's pretty much how I view things too.

However, there was an interesting discussion I had with a different instructor years ago. He viewed technical skill as a distant third place to experience and attitude. At the time I didn't really like what he was saying, but now I pretty much agree with him.

Basically, the most important attribute was relevant experience. For example, if an opponent is much bigger and stronger, knowing what to do and what not to do in order to take away the size and strength advantage of the opponent was part of experience. So if I avoided locking up with a bigger and stronger opponent, got him winded, and/or got a superior position, this makes it harder for him to get good leverage on me.

Attitude, almost as important as experience, was fighting spirit and the ability to do what needs to be done, whether that be from zero to 100% in an instant and/or being brave and never giving up.

Skill was a distant third place in importance. Still important, but without experience to know when to do something and when to avoid something, and without the superior attitude to back it up, skill does not do a whole lot on its own in real situations.

Such things such as size, strength, weapons, and etc., were basically tools to get the job done. Experience could guide one to knowing what tools were best for any situation and also when to use the tools you do have available in the best manner. Attitude allowed one to brave the use of force and accept the use of force on one's self without crumbling under the pressure as well as perhaps intimidate opponents. Skill was good to know how to use tools.

In the end, one seeks experience and from the experience, one can go back to training with a better list of priorities of what is needed. If one experiences they need more strength then one can come back to training and work on strength and conditioning. If one finds through experience that they are lacking fundamentals then they can come back to training the basics and fundamentals.

This explains a lot about why the same person can say that strength is not important, yet at the same time, they insist on lots of strength and conditioning in training. It is not a contradiction, because the importance is only as good as your experience in knowing when and how to use it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  10. Dead_pool

I would say the holy trinity of basics that makes them a Foundation is the How When and Why of a position/ technique.

11. Sonshu

The point I was making is if you are strong, don't bust a gut to get others weaker to keep teaching you NOT to use it.

I had this issue for many years, being taught "technique" all the time and for long periods I would forget that I was so much strong than the other person.

So in sparring etc I would be fighting on an even footing with other grapplers, it was one day I just thought I would unleash, the subsequent man handling the other guy got was as much a surprise for him as it was for me.

Strength is good to use and I have now been using it for years. If it’s your only tool you will come unstuck. BUT before the advent of combat sports many traditional arts were all too keen to train you OUT of using it - which is wrong.

I teach people to play to what you have and try to reduce the weak areas as much as possible.

The basics will win 95 out of 100 grappling tournaments and real fights so they have to be the mainstay of your work.

Leverage rocks but leverage and strength is awsome.

12. Dead_pool

QFT

But knowing when you have good leverage or not is hard if you use your strength to get out of bad situations.

annocdote time - fellow I train with has 30 odd kg of ex sted muscle on me. As such in rollin I always end up playing guard as he can and will bench me off easily, and was hesitent to tap to armbars ( he is new) I use the time working guard retention, stand ups and back takes. Last comp we were at he ended up on bottom against a stronger opponant, and came unstuck. Hes now using better technique on bottom and hes learnt to tap earlier. End result he recently visited another club and did well in rolling people his own size.

13. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

If you have to use strength, you aren't using martial arts.

If you think techniques require strength, you are not doing them right.

Martial Arts are designed to defeat strength, but if you have no MA abilities then all you can use is strength.

14. bjjcompete

bjjcompete New Member

At lower levels strength makes a big difference. I won a tournament with only 2 months training cause I was in way better shape than everyone else.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm... while this may sound nice. It's hardly true. Often times if you are squared up with someone... strength is going to be a large part of the equation.

Come on... in the ideal world... yes we could get by on technique alone. But in the real world strength... was, is and always will be a factor. It's a fact.

Even with MA ability you're still going to have to use strength. I think you might want to try to broaden your perspective on what strength is and how it actually applies to martial arts.

16. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Unrealistic, romanticised claptrap. Martial arts (even the fuzzy ones) are 'designed' to hurt people. If you do it just the same but with an extra stone of muscle it's going to make all the difference in the world.

17. hehehe... musical kata hurt me! :D

Osu!

18. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Don't know about you, but it certainly hurts me! The scars that never show...

19. Sonshu

This post is so bad its not worth replying too - welcome to the real world :love:

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

What system do you train in Robinhood?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.