It's All About the Strength

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Is it something along these lines?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZkSp1r84M"]Jim Carrey - Funny Police Officer training - YouTube[/ame]

Love this clip. Classic.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Looks more like this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sP3yRge0M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sP3yRge0M[/ame]

3. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Ok, I got ya. :p

I am also a big guy, when we talk about size, I am 2 meters tall, although I am slim (about 80 kg). So judging from what you said, my coach has a good reason that always pairs me up with the second shortest guy and in the gym who is also btw a little chubby.. Maybe he knows that this is the kind of guy who could give me the most trouble..

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

all about proper application of power.
    knowing when to explode.

7/10 i'll get tapped out by a big guy simply cos he's big but i know i can wear him down from wasting his energy and get the tap on him. i might get tapped out a couple times in the process but i get there when he's tired of beasting it and im still fresh.
    and at the end of the day his skill wont progress as fast as mine cos he's got crappy technique from just using strength all the time and not when its needed and i'll learn to deal with him.
    I might lose a couple battles but i'll win the war.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Arghh!! Short and stocky...the absolute WORST people to try and throw!!! Randori was always a nightmare with them!

6. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Size and power are limited by genetics, so what's left is skill which has no limit, which is what MA is supposed to be developing in the long run, if your style has a long run.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Last year I was all technique with no strength (not as strong as the other competitors), this year's comp I was all strength and no technique. I was chucking fools left/right/centre but I still lost due to bad technique.
    So its something in the middle...

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I was one of those LOL. Some of the dudes I used to roll with were waaayyyyy stronger than me, but I'm hypermobile, and capable of slipping/"morphing" my way out of locks and holds most people can't.

9. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Last year I took the silver in both the NAGA World Grappling Championships and the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships in the beat up old men's division. Last year, I had a great year of strength training setting some all time personal best lifts including an 865 lbs. squat for 3 reps. I was regularly benching between 450-500 lbs of six reps and squatting 700-800 lbs for reps at least every two weeks. When I fought in the super heavyweight division, I was by far the lightest competitor, but was having no problem over powering or at least favorably matching guys who outweighed me by 40-75 lbs (who were actually lean and muscular). I had planned on competing this year at a lean 250 lbs and really coming in both strong and a bit bigger than last.

This year I injured my back and I was very limited in my weight training. It was mostly light work and with a lot of machines (by neccesity rather than choice). I came in at 218 lbs and not 250 and though my cardio and skills were the best they have ever been, I was just lacking the major strength advantage that I have always had in the past. I still got the bronze, but the guys I fought this year were no where near as big or as strong as last year, but unfortunately for me, neither was I. I was amazed at how MUCH a difference my not having my strength advantage made.

Keep in mind that it's an expert no-gi division, so everyone in there is skilled and most are BJJ black belts, so everyone has good technique. But in the past, I've been able to take down and gain dominant positions and control my opponents pretty much at will. This time, I couldn't get my positions and was having my takedowns stuffed. I've always known strength was a factor and a real advantage, But this really opened my eyes to just HOW MUCH of one it really is (for me at least). Actually, this was a hard pill to swallow, worst yet, my elbow snapped (capsule) when defending against a key lock (americana).
    I hate getting old. From this year's experience, I believe that strength is a much biggger factor than I used to believe. Both for effectiveness and for preventing injuries.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Note that strength and power are actually different things, although related.

Or he could have been talking about of his bum. A lot of people do.

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

All about the power? It sounds as if He-man was in your store.

[​IMG]

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Lots of strength means you can hold worse structure and get away with it. I've seen it be an impediment to proper training but as for a fight, mass and strength win if skill is equal.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Any above average attribute can do that to a person though. If you're more stronger/faster/tougher/flexible than the average Joe you're going to overcompensate with those abilities when you're just learning.

14. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

True. And there is a certain amount of tailoring you do in martial arts for your own body type but learning to fight with technique first and strength second makes you a better fighter. My sifu is 58 and his muscles are weaker than mine by far but his structure is so good it seems like he's far stronger than he really is.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

its probably all about the technique, but there is a reason all combat sports have weight categories and the open division in grappling usually goes to the heavy or light heavyweight champion

with two people of equal skill the stronger usually wins, and id go further and say if you arer much stronger than your opponent you can negate a gap in skill, anyone who has rolled with a rugby player or east European weight lifter will know what I’m on about, first time an opponent curled out of my arm bar (I weighted 90kg at the time, he weight about 75kg and was massively strong) I began to understood just how important strength was and nipped off to the local powerlifting club :D

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzpE8kiZtE"]Robert Drysdale vs. Marcello Garcia ADCC 2007 Submission Gra - YouTube[/ame]

17. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

I think speed is more important than pure strength.

It doesn't matter how big they are if you can effectively circle them for 15 minutes throwing leg kicks.

18. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Holy freaking poop. Who the hell manages to do that?

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Im 90% sure the guy is new, and is still in the early phase of people goin easy on him as he tries to hulk smash everyone.

If hes still like that in a year he'll be uncoachable and a liability to train with.

20. Anabolic steroids.

Freak of nature?

Osu!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.