ITF TaeKwon-Do in Southern California (Inland Empire)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kmorrisonnyc, Apr 20, 2014.

1. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

Hi All,

Long story short, I'm looking for an ITF TaeKwon-Do school in the Inland Empire of Southern California, specifically in the Riverside/Palm Springs area.

So far I've only been able to find one at UCLA in Los Angeles - that's about a 2 hour drive (anywhere up to 3-4 hours at rush hour) which I can do if absolutely necessary but I believe it only operates during Term time.

I did reach out to the USTF but they don't have anyone in this area (which I find quite staggering!)

Can anyone out there help?

If not, is there such a thing as a list of upcoming ITF Seminars in the US?

Thanks!
    Kris

2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

You can contact Ed Newcomer

If they are not close you can ask for a referral

Or Cody Springsguth

So Cal Martial Center.
    5080 Bonita Rd, Bonita CA 91902

Email and phone number removed as per ToS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  3. kmorrisonnyc

Dear Master Weiss, thanks for your suggestions sir. It was a pleasant surprise to see you as the first responder on the post - you helped me out many years ago with a suggestion on a different forum when I was a teenager in Scotland!

I did reach out to Master Newcomer previously (that's what I meant by having reached out to the USTF) but unfortunately Master Newcomer is not currently teaching and the closest USTF school is over 100 miles each way from my current location.

I'll also try reaching out to Mr Springsguth when I am back in town, although based on that address it is likely to be over 100 miles each way too unless he knows of anyone closer.

Are there any schools/instructors that offer instruction online? (I know it's not the best way to train, but some feedback on my forms etc - it's been around 15 years since I last studied ITF TaeKwon-Do - might be enough to get me going initially)

One other option I was considering might be to take a flight somewhere once a month to train, maybe Phoenix or SF areas - does anyone have any suggestions for those areas?

Thanks!

4. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

What does the itf list for schools in that area? I used to get emails on seminars and such from one and they frequently lists California schools as sites

5. kmorrisonnyc

Hi TKDDragon

I haven't found any in this area on a couple of the ITF sites... However, I was last training in the ITF prior to General Choi's death so I'm a little confused on which 'ITF' site I should be looking on. Do you have any suggested links?

Thanks!

6. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

The itf-usa is the one that used to send out stuff. Not sure of lineage with all the changes

7. kmorrisonnyc

Thank you!

8. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'kmorrisonnyc'

Just interested, if it's been so many years since you trained in ITF style, why does it matter what style you now learn?

9. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

He may know of someone closer. I thinke he was recently promoted to 7th Dan.

Here is alink to ITF USA and their schools.

http://www.itf-usa.org/school.html

10. kmorrisonnyc

Hi Robert,

I've trained in both ITF (1st Dan) and Kukkiwon Taekwondo (2nd Dan) but ultimately prefer ITF Style Taekwondo. A number of reasons for that - and I absolutely have a lot of respect for the Kukkiwon practitioners - but ultimately I just feel more comfortable with ITF Style forms etc.

I know there are some good WTF schools near here - and if anyone has a very strong recommendation I'd love to hear it because I accept a good instructor is worth their weight in gold - but ITF just feels more natural to me.

Not sure if that helps explain very much, but there you go!

Cheers!

11. kmorrisonnyc

Thank you sir.

12. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

13. kmorrisonnyc

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I finally attended my first ITF Taekwondo class since 2007 (when I briefly trained with Master Giorgos Stylianidis in Thessaloniki) on Saturday.

I was on a 'training high' afterwards (and think I still am) but suffice it to say I'm just glad to be back training. Per the initial post (and another subsequent one), I've been searching for a school that met my needs for a number of months. I went to a few different Kukkiwon style schools but didn't find any that really 'felt right'. There were no ITF Schools in around 100 miles but eventually I found one at a local college that is just starting up for the semester - it's about 25 miles away.

Very excited to be back training!

Thanks to those in this thread for their help in my search, and if anyone is interested in finding out more feel free to PM me.

Thanks!