Itcca ?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by praying-mantis, Jan 28, 2004.

1. praying-mantis

praying-mantis New Member

Hi everybody,

I want to start Tai Chi.
    One school I've found claims to be a member of the ITCCA. I don't know anything about tai Chi, so I wondered whether this tells something about the school.

The trainer claims that she has studied under K.H. Chu. Is this a good or a bad sign?

What do you think?

praying-mantis

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I believe this is Chu King Hong who was my teachers, teacher, in the late 1970's. From what I can tell Master Chu is excellent and would be seen to be authentic Taijiquan. There are various stories about that he is a bit strange and has a bit of a prickly personality, these may be true or not. I can't comment on anything else other than to suggest that you check it out and see how it fits your goals.

Best, Syd

3. praying-mantis

praying-mantis New Member

Thanks for the answer,

but i got another question.

They (their website) say that in order to learn the complete form (all 3 parts) you need about 2 years. is this realistic (how long do you need usually?)

praying-mantis

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

It doesn't sound wrong and infact I would say that a school that really stressed teaching you the long form slowly and accurately are far better than one that say's you can learn it in a few months. I would say that normally a year might be ok but then we are talking about refinement and individual curriculum. I would go and check them out though and see how it all feels.

5. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I agree - any long forms take a matter of years, not months. I've been learning the old Yang form for three years and I've just begun to scratch the surface.

6. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

it's also very rare nowadays to find teachers who teach the old way, with no shortcuts. i'd say you have a very good opportunity to learn the traditional way. it took me 10 months to learn one of the short forms, and that was a rush job because i had to leave.

7. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I agree -- long term learning process. I have spent 8 months just getting 28 postures into the 103 posture long form.

8. RobP

RobP Valued Member

If you want to learn the form and study nothing else for the next 5years or so, CKH will be fine. But you will get little else. Lotsof "chi power" talk too, if that is what you are looking for.

9. imawimp

imawimp New Member

Im at about 8 months, now. Ive finshed the first course that my school offers - teaches the first third of the 108 posture long form. Im starting the second portion now. another 8 months to learn the second and third parts.

If I continue past that it will be refinement - refinement - refinement. I think 2 yrs is a fair assesment, and doesnt really take into account the amount of time it will take after the initial 2 yrs to perfect everything