Is TKD for me?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Iced_Falcon, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Iced_Falcon

Iced_Falcon New Member

I'm 14 years old, around 5'10-11", about 60 kg, reasonably strong and pretty fast - I can outrun most people in my class at school. I'm not all that flexible, but I stretch regularly and my flexibility is improving. I can kick around as high as my neck. Do you think I would be suited to TKD? Thanks!

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Alot of that answer will come from what you want to get from the arts, and your personality etc. I would check the local schools and see what you think of the classes and instructors, then decide. As far as physically suited, you shouldn't have trouble there. Just make sure it fits you mentally.

Rob

3. Iced_Falcon

Iced_Falcon New Member

Thanks.
    I'm mainly looking to add to my fitness and confidence, and I've got a fairly shy personality. I will go and check out some classes, see how the atmosphere is, and I'll ask some people at school if they take/have taken any MA.

4. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Sit and think of everthing that you may want out of the martial arts. (not a school or style but the martial arts in general) then go to different school and talk to the people there. Not just the teachers but the students as well. Most instructors will try to lead to to think their school is the best, but by talking to the studnets you might get a better feeling of what the class is all about. Then sit through a couple of classes to see if what they offer is what you are looking for. After you start in a school, dont be afraid to change schools. No one instructors school is just right for everyone.

-Chazz

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well my preference is u should go out there and check every school by urself find merits and demerits there(being a newbie u probably won't find good one) and then try to find out who is good instructor in ur area don't care about style if ur instructor is good u'll learn fighting otherwise don't waste ur time, effort n money...
    try to find a good teacher be it TKD, karate, KF, or anything else for that matter..

6. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

i'd say taekwondo is for everyone, but remember almost anyone can do a good kick after training a few years, but the mental training is what makes it hard, you must learn to be absolutely sincere, follow the tenets of taekwondo, understand the art of taekwondo throughly. of course physical training is very important too, but you must train the mental side to be able to have enough self discipline and patience to learn and train taekwon-do.