Is this real??

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by bluelotus, Apr 5, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

How many contact points do you need to trip someone up or redirect someone?

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Koyo would be crying here. Violates the martial principle of unbalancing on the point of contact. i.e. a steaming pile of poop!

The Bear.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you use 1 contact point on a ball, that ball will be moved. If you use 2 contact points (in opposite direction) on a ball, that ball will be rotated. The striking art only need 1 contact point. The throwing art will need 2 or 3 contact points (to rotate).

You may use 1 contact point to redirect your opponent. You will still need the 2nd or even the 3rd contact points to "throw" him. The main problem for the "1 contact point" move is "you still give your opponent's legs too much freedom to move around".

Please notice that:

- wrist pull (1st contact point),
    - neck push (2nd contact point),
    - leg trip (3rd contact point).

In the following picture, we can clearly see that instead of just "trip" your opponent's leg,

[​IMG]

if you can use your leg to "hook" your opponent's leg off the ground (your opponent has only 1 leg standing), the throw wil be more effective (less chance for your opponent to escape).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Preaching to the choir, but I still want to learn it.

5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

:topic: what the hell are these frackers wearing??? :)

EDIT : actually on further inspection the whole pic is entirely WTF. Where did you find this???

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cfvf8aNJyk"]Makotokai Aikido Riai IKET 2006 - YouTube[/ame]

Please explain how koyo throws his uke at 1:59 or 2:06.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

At about 1:59 it's an elbow lock. Uke wasn't forced to roll; he could have just as well stumbled a few feet still upright. (Of course, Koyo had a big stick and would have whacked him on the head if he didn't roll.)

At about 2:06 Koyo tripped him while pressing on the missing 3rd leg of the tripod.

I love Koyo's pressure, his invisible "intent" or "ki" or "spirit" or whatever you want to call it. Maybe "presence" is the best word. You just know that he's in charge of the mat and that he's going to get you, and you can't stop him. I love it. My martial art goal is to someday have that same presence, or pressure, or whatever it is.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Yep. Threat. He's unbalanced and to try tp recover inside the arc of that stick/sword is suicide.

I didn't watch the whole first video but he's not actually unbalancing him. His hips and head aren't leaving the space between his feet except by his own volition. He's bending his knees and starting to fall from the initial movement. He's voluntarily passing up the threatless opportunity to step and maintain balance. Koyo is significantly unbalancing his uke and leaving him a choice to fall or be cut. The attitude and strategy is totally different.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

That's why his techniques work? I really hoped there was more to it than that.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I agree. I more or less pointed that out already.

The video gets a bit better later on. Not as good as Koyo's. But I didn't see anything that is in principle massively different from what Koyo is was doing.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Huh? Of course there's more to it than that. What are you asking????

12. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Urgh, where to start. Fair bit of facepalm going on in this thread.

The teacher in the first minute of the video is demonstrating balance principles, He's showing the subtleties of unbalancing someone from their hips. It's not the easiest thing to show to a group of people so obviously the uke is being very compliant and exaggerating the fall/ukemi to show the principle that is being taught. Considering there is a large number of junior students at that particular seminar I think it's actually very useful

This is not a self defence seminar, it's not a fight in a ring or on the stR33T!!! He is demonstrating principles. So please people, enough with the "that would never work", teeth in bags, "try that on me guff", You're all very big, hard and tough...well done

Now, Im not necessarily a fan of this kind of demo, especially when it's shown completely out of context to the seminar or lessons the instructor is actually teaching. I know a lot of "theatrical" Uke's who like to make their teacher look like a sorcerer, I don't think it's needed to show/demonstrate/teach. I am happy to say that my teachers frown on that nonsense

As for later on in the vid their is some excellent jiyu waza going on and it's a pleasure to watch

Mori Sensei was an uchi deshi for Gozo Shioda. He is a legit 7th Dan and is generally considered very good at what he does. He is not running a McDojo

So much guess work, conjecture, presumption and ignorance floating around. Go to one lesson, seminar, dojo. Talk to the teachers, go see what they do, how and why they do certain things certain ways. You don't have to like what they do or ever do it again but it would answer your questions and open your eyes