Is this real??

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by bluelotus, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ot2kv6slTls"]Brisbane Yoshinkan Aikido Mori Shihan 7th dan 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

For the first minute the instructor is basically just touching the guy somewhere and they fall to pieces. Just after the first minute the the student tries to do the same thing and it appears the instructor is immovable. Is it real or just a daffodil video to impress people?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'm generally of the belief that this sort of thing is only possible through over-compliance of the opponent, i.e. that they have to believe that this is what's going to happen. You could certainly see the attacker jumping to the ground on a number of occasions with no apparent balance break or application of force, which strikes me as a good indication that all is not as it seems. Throwing someone takes a lot more effort than that from a static position!

3. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Mcdojo??

I'm so paranoid about that word now. :S

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It seems to me, and I could be wrong of course, that there's some mind tricks going on there.
    The student expects to be thrown and so is.
    The student expects not to be able to throw so can't.
    Some sort of placebo type effect.

Put someone up that doesn't have a vested interest in making it work and I don't think the demo would look the same.

5. Aegis

Not necessarily a McDojo. Without knowing what they usually teach it's very difficult to say. Occasionally I'll teach concepts to my students that seem impractical at first, after which I'll adapt it to something more useful.

As an aside, I usually associate the term McDojo with very high prices and large numbers of gradings and courses charged separately rather than specifically with odd or impractical practices. That said, the two often go hand in hand!

6. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Plus. Is it my inexperienced eyes/naviete or is 5:15 - 6:00 absolute hollywood?

7. Aegis

Again, there's a lot of compliance going on there, but the techniques themselves look like fluid demonstration versions of some of the jujutsu techniques I do. I certainly saw seoi-nage and kata-guruma in there a couple of times each, plus a few others that look like hybrid techniques.

I certainly don't think this is what those techniques would look like if you ever needed to use them for real, but there's probably quite a lot to learn even from these idealised techniques.

8. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Looks to me like the student is going to ground whenever his balance is broken/affected. I'm guessing if the teacher spoke English he'd likely tell him to stop arsing about lol to my understanding isn't Yoshinkan aikido one of the more "martial" styles? I don't expect that kind of compliance, but then it's demonstrating the ideal situation I suppose.. *shrug* Didn't watch the whole video though in case it gave me the aikido bug again, I can't afford that on top of archery and dancing lol

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

It looks like every Aikido demo ever seen: a load of totally complient ****. Grab my wrist...

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Only if you promise to throw me.

Seriously though, I like Aikido maybe some of the slightly harder styles though, Aiki-jutsu:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7yn0XOSMQ"]STREET FIGHT REAL SELF DEFENSE - YouTube[/ame]

Fair enough the description basically has "MMA SUCKS!" but it's still really cool.

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I would venture that it is a combination of things. First, Yoshinkan aikido is a legitimate organization, so someone with a rank of 7th dan would be quite proficient. Second, it is a seminar with junior students, so the students expect the instructor to have god-like powers, which will make it much easier for him.

Just for some of the folks that haven't done legitimate aikido, the essence of aikido is in breaking down the balance through specific techniques. I can still vividly remember my first introduction to aikido. A very senior practicioner was conducting a seminar that I attended. Being a large and muscular sort (at the time!) he asked me to come up so he could demonstrate. He was talking to the students while I stood beside him with his hand on my shoulder. He even warned me before hand by saying "now don't fall down on me!" He then proceeded to shift his weight and I found myself on the ground. Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, he then did it two more times. To say I was impressed would be an understatement, but I've never practiced with anyone that good since he passed away quite a few years ago.

So, some of the stuff that seems ridiculous in that video, is entirely possible if the instructor is of a very high caliber. However, some of it is simply students being too eager to please.

Just my opinions,

12. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Actually, while it looks cool, the fellow in the video doing "real self defense" isn't very good. I am much more impressed with the centering and control of the instructor in the first video than I am of the fellow in the second video that is performing most of the techniques using his upper body strength rather than actual aiki technique.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well, as far as demonstrations go I was more impressed with the second one, because they also used offensive techniques in conjunction with the technique. That, and there was GUNS!

Also, cool music. And they were Eastern Europeans! Nobody crazier than them, unless they are Russians 0.o

14. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

We practice pressure point strikes and I've had times where my instructor would do a technique and my arm would become numb or tingly to the point of being useless. But I've never been nor have seen people react to strikes the way these people do. I call fake.

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm thinking there was a bit of showmanship. On most of those, er, "throws," the instructor started before his uke was centered (balanced). Uke went down because he wasn't balanced to begin with. In contrast, when it was his turn to throw the instructor, the instructor settled himself.

I think I know the principle that the instructor was trying to get across. It's (a) settling your body weight in one direction; that is, moving your entire body as a single unit in one direction. And (b) aiming for the missing third leg of the tripod where uke is unbalanced.

I've had this "technique" done to me. It can be legitimate. If I'm settled, no, I won't fall, but if you catch me when I'm moving, yes, I will fall. And so will you. The flippy throw, though, didn't have to be flippy. Uke did that out of habit.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's an exercise in understanding body alignment. I hate seeing these things over played at demos. It just looks bad. This stuff only works if uke is already off balance or is offering no resistance.

17. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

I agree.
    If the force is applied at just the right time (i.e. whilst uke is off balance) you need both minimal movement and force.
    It's all a bit Hollywood though

18. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

man try any of this kinda thing in a real situation and I have one question
    "would you like you teeth seperately or in a bag"

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Demo is 1/2 fake and 1/2 real. The "fake" part is your opponent will give you the opportunity. The "real" part is you have to finish it. If your opponent also have to help you to finish it, that's 100% fake.

In order to throw your opponent, you will need 2 or even 3 contact points that you either

- push head down and sweep/hook leg up, or
    - twist arm and body, and sweep/hook/spring the leg.

The "1 point contact" throw only exist in Aikido. It doesn't exist in Chinese wrestling (Shuai Chiao), Judo, Sambo, or wrestling. You will never see "1 point contact" throw on the wrestling mat.

In the following clip, we can clearly see "2 or even 3 contact points" throws. If we compare these 2 clips, we can clearly see the difference on the "leg usage". In the Aikido demo clip, the "leg usage" is not noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/v/zr3Ri5a9aqU&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ot2kv6slTls"]Brisbane Yoshinkan Aikido Mori Shihan 7th dan 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There's whole thread of anecdotal stories of people using Aikido in real situations. We really don't need to start a whole new discussion on that here.