Is there a way to develop mental strength?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jaksun, Apr 21, 2019.

1. jaksun

jaksun New Member

So whether it's by diet or some form of training can I develop my mental strength?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Become a Mod for a forum site...that'll test you.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Most of us are capable of far more than we may imagine.

The best thing you can do is step directly into whatever challenge you face.

When you come out the other side you'll realise firstly it wasn't as bad as you thought and second you'll be stronger for it.

axelb likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Face small challenges, and progressively build up.

Monkey_Magic and Pretty In Pink like this.
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Join the military if you're eligible.

pgsmith, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

A spiritual teacher I had used the phrase "Lean into discomfort."

Develop discipline with regular practice. Eat bitter. Or as my Sifu has modernized the phrase "embrace the suck." As in, practice the things that aren't as fun, but will make you better. ( Examples: Slow motion kicks, stance training, etc.)

As others here have said, do things that challenge you. Push yourself.

Set short, mid and long term goals. Write down an action plan to achieve those goals. Have the discipline to follow through. Revisit those goals regularly. Be honest and examine where you felt short and try to do better. Keep doing this.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Mitch and Simon like this.
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Take an Outward Bound course.
    Take up boxing or karate or the like, and get in the ring sparring people who are legitimately trying to hit you.
    Join the military.

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Mental pushups and lunges.
    Once you're good at that, you can throw in some mental heavy lifting to build your mental bulk.
    Don't forget to include your regular mental cardio though, since mental strength isn't worth much without general mental fitness.

:)

Mitch likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Listen to David Goggins. He talks about mental strength and fortitude a lot.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's gotta be at your own pace.
    As someone that got into martial arts because of a lack of confidence some of the things suggested (join the army, spar, etc) would have been too much in the early stages of my life and would have been counter productive.
    I needed baby steps (just stepping over the threshold of a dojo/gym was a big step for me) until I had the maturity and foundation to tackle harder things (competing full contact, black belt grading, teaching, etc).
    You have to step out of your comfort zone just far enough to be a challenge and to push you but not so far it's too much and sets you back.
    Geoff Thompson (Google him) set out a 'fear pyramid' with something tricky but do-able at the base and then successive steps up the pyramid to something truly challenging at the top. Such a pyramid will be different for everyone depending on where you start ad want to get too.
    In an ideal world martial arts would be taught and structured in this progressive way but many aren't and you have to create this sort of progression yourself.

Mitch, pgsmith, liero and 2 others like this.
  11. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Depends on your situation. When I took my black belt test, it was pretty much a dive off the deep end and my first degree test, at the time, was one of the most challenging things I've had to experience. I'm a bit older now, tested for higher degrees, but looking at it relatively, my first degree test is what I look back onto when I have to dig deep nowadays. Before taking my board exam, getting hit playing rugby, I always look back at that. The wiser way to do it is to progressively adapt yourself, so build up the stresses. Specificity of adaptation is a exercise physiology principle but for our purposes is appropriate.

Stepping out of your comfort zone doesn't just have to be in martial arts. When I got a job working at the admission office in college, I had to step out of my comfort zone. Calling prospective students, getting hung up on, cursed at by uninterested parents, etc. When I came back home that summer after college, my parents thought that I had a shift in my maturity and personality for the better. Wasn't a pain in the butt for them but I wasn't confident at the time. And that job in college prepared me for the future. Mental strength can be built up through physical exertion but also just change of scenery.

liero and Monkey_Magic like this.
  12. liero

liero Valued Member

I read this and was thinking about an answer.
    Mental strength development for me is accomplishing "stretch goals". Things that you think are possible but will drive you out of your comfort zone. Which a few above have kind of suggested.
    If we only operate in our comfort zone, then we never reach our potential.
    If we have really complex, impossible goals then we do not develop positive coping strategies and do not become resilient.
    Stretch goals just push us past the point where we feel like we can't accomplish a task or activity, and then prove that we can. By that we learn that we can challenge our unhelpful thoughts and beliefs that tell us to stop when things get hard.
    Sometimes it's hard to scaffold these challenges because we are inherently doing things we are not sure we can do. I think this is where good coaching is essential. For example, I remember not feeling like I could compete in a tournament against someone at one point but my coaches were insistent that I could keep up with the opponent. With their support I won. This helped me develop mental strength that I could perform well against a higher standard of competition. This increased my mental strength.
    Essentially, work out what you are afraid of doing and develop a systematic way to reach a higher standard and prove you can accomplish a goal. Increased confidence to do the difficult is mental strength development.

Mitch likes this.
  13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Had much better answers, but a simple one from Forrest Griffin is to run on a treadmill. Set it at just a notch faster than you think you can comfortably run, and do it for progressively longer intervals of time. You'll think you can't, but because its a machine it won't let you naturally slow down to a more comfortable pace the way you can if you road run. Forces you through a mental barrier, a bit of a physical pain barrier, and you get some exercise into the mix as well.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Forest's book of life advice is a classic!

Southpaw535 and Pretty In Pink like this.
  15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mental book but a great read.

16. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Meditate...regularly

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

While I really want to agree with this, I've known a fair number of people who meditated regularly and had very fragile minds.

Simon likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree. Just because things appear quiet on the outside doesn't mean there isn't a lot of noise on the inside.

There is a lot of "woo" out there, so while meditation is excellent not all practitioners / coaches are created equally.

David Harrison likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Regularly and real meditation. Not just sitting there quietly on a comfy pillow listening to music for 5 or 10 minutes and calling it meditation.

Standing meditation like Santi Shi for 15 to 20 minutes a side will do it quite nicely too.
    Note, also with no music...

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

A diet rich in the following things: oily fish, broccoli, dark chocolate, nuts, seeds, berries, eggs, vitamin C, and coffee. All of these are proven "brain foods".

There are also foods to avoid that can impact your mental state. Practically any sugared or sweetened drink (fruit juice, soda, energy drinks, coffee loaded with sugar), as well as almost anything loaded with white flour or sugar (breads, donuts) can dull your mind. Definitely limit daily intake of alcohol and avoid non-prescribed psychoactive substances.