Is the colour of chi important?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by dragon_bunny, Jul 30, 2004.

1. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

Hi
    at the end of my classes one of my sensis has started warming us down by doing some simple tai chi movements and stances to help us mediate.
    He makes us stand with our feet a shoulders width apart and knees slightly bend. our arms are kinda in a circle but fingers don't touch. After doing some breathing excerises and such we finish and he asks us what we felt. Like if our fingers tingle and things like that. We're also ment to imaging a ball of energy which we then push in to our stomach area.. he says something being with T but i've never made that out.
    He then asks what colour this ball is.
    some people have green but mine is sky blue. He smiled at me and then talked to me about it at the end of the lesson making me promise to tell him when the colour changed but he wouldn't tell me why

This is driving me up the wall i really want to know what if the colours have significance. I'm sure me knowing will affect me which is why he's not saying but i'm curious :)

any help?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hmm, I've never heard of that, but I'm not a tai chi person, any other practitioners out there care to comment?

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Sounds like BS to me. Chi emits no light therefore any colour is purely in your mind.
    He doesn't ask for payment with small used bills per chance?

The Bear.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Before I say this, I am in no way an expert or even really experienced at all.

I don't think there is any colour to it.

What you are doing is one of the easiest ways for beginners to feel their chi. It's weird, I never thought I actually could, but I tried it one day and could definitely feel it tingling and warm, and it got more so as I brought it down to my tan tien (what you were referring to). Impressive stuff, I would love to know the scientific basis to it. My money is on some kind of field. One days physics will open up these possibilities.

5. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I agree; there's an explanation out there somewhere, we just don't understand it yet.

I've never heard of chi having color, either. The color of it isn't mentioned in my Tai Chi Chuan class, just the way it feels.

6. dragon_bunny

i know it emits no light it's just the colour *i* imagin it is that he wants.
    and no he doesn't he's a really good sensi.

ok so no one else has heard of the colour thing... ok next class i will have to make him tell me before it drives me mad :D

7. imawimp

imawimp New Member

I find it interesting that he singled you out, let you and everyone else know that you got the wrong answer, and let you know the correct answer - all without actually explaining anything.

Not unlike the way some cults work.

For all I know, your teacher is correct, and chi is meant to have some mystical color. Perhaps it is mood-chi, and the color is only sky-blue if you are angry.

I am naturally suspicious of any teacher that cant or wont explain the "why" behind an idea.

8. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

sounds like he made you stand in a very basic chi kung stance called wu ji (im not sure how its spelled)- the stomache area your talking about is call dan tien in chinese and tan jan in korean (not sure how any of thats spelled again heh)- you should feel a buzz in your hands and they should heat up and eventually turn into a blochy red color then purple- beacause your increasing the blood flow to your hands

9. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Maybe he's not a crock, maybe he's testing you. I would certainly love to learn about Chi, anyone know any good online guides :D.

10. dragon_bunny

ok i think i explaind this wrong.. he didn't single me out.. he asked *everyone* in the class what colours they saw and what their hands felt like. and said interresting to everyone
    He isn't a con artist or anything he's a friend of my sensi's and occasionaly takes bits the class ( like all the sensi do to give us different aproaches etc ) and he's also a nice guy :)
    He came up to me after the class had finished and when we get ready to go home to talk about it so it wasn't infront of everyone
    Also i asked if it was a bad thing and he said it wasn't just to tell him when it changed.
    I don't think there is ment to be a right or wrong answer to this i was just curious.

I think i'm going to ask him again until he breaks and tells me then i will tell you ;)

11. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

It sounds more like the standing pole practice.. at least that is if your arms are at approx chest height... Zhan Zhuang is the name it is given...

12. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

Congratulations! It's a boy!

13. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

That exercise is to practice mental visualisation. By concentrating, you have tactile sensations (buzzing, warmth, pressure) and your teacher probably is using colour to draw your focus in.

If I say to you "picture a ball", you'll get a vague mental image, but if I say "picture a brand new basketball with clean lines, one slight scuff mark on the side from the factory, and the new sportswear smell to it", your mental picture (hence your focus) will be more precise.

Then again he may just be a hippy with a thing for auras

14. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Qi does not have a colour but each element which can be paired with the meridians has a corresponding colour

FIRE HT SI HP TH RED JOY

EARTH ST SP YELLOW REFLECTIVE THOUGHT

METAL LU LI WHITE GRIEF

WATER BL KID BLUE/BLACK FEAR

WOOD LIV GB GREEN ANGER

15. dragon_bunny

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wu ji .. now that sounds kinda like the stance he let me stand in.. most people held thier arms our at chest heigh but my shoulder doesn't like me doing that so he didn't make me :)

do you mean blue and black or blue/black the colour?

16. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Either black or blue it can normally be seen around the eyes. BL and KID are normally affected by tiredness or fatigue so one symptom can be blue or black shadows around the eyes.