Is Tae Kwon Do actually "useless" against other styles?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Fluidz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior Valued Member

Hi Simon thanks for that comment you're right I guess it's not good to get all religious about martial arts I have respect for all of them. The only other thing I would say is that in regard to the flat foot approach from a scientific point of view according to the study of physics a force that is concentrated on a smaller area will concentrate power far more and distribute less.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I would say list your sources if you are going to claim history - I rarely start jokes without prefacing it with "two mins and a rabbi walk into a bar..."

The reference to kicks was specifically directed at the notion that TKD kicks are uniquely designed for something - they aren't. They are a long body weapon the same as nearly every other art that uses a long body weapon

3. Hannibal

Bah humbug!

But point taken....

4. Spirit Warrior

Firstly you can look at one example of the history of Taekwondo here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1398386/General-Choi-Hong-Hi.html

Secondly the TKD kick was put in Taekwondo because the General thought it would create an advantage over Karate because virtually all researchers acknowledge that that Taekwondo kicks come from a martial art called Taekkyon which is an earlier Korean martial art taught by the Hwarang knights since ancient times in Korea. General Choi says and i'm quoting 'Taekwondo was created to be both superior in both skill and spirit to karate' watch this interview part 1 and 2 with general choi hong hi
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2revZdVVBY"]Gen Choi Hong Hi interview P-1 - YouTube[/ame]

5. Hannibal

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Was there a lot of hand to hand combat with the vietkong?

Wearing combat boots, military clothing, 90 pound backpacks and of course various weapons, you'd think that they'd think twice about high kicking. Especially with uneven terrain, trees and bushes....

7. Spirit Warrior

Thats a good site but I hope you understand that none is saying that Tawondo didn't take from Karate because it obviously did. Secondly the sites suggestion that Taekkyon was simply added as sympathy for Korean nationalism makes a suggestion that General Choi lied about his master Hong Dong the second teaching him Taekkyon and the reality is that no one knows about his life except for him (which means that none except him will really know the truth behind that). The third thing I would state is that if one is to simple take a look at some Taekkyon practitioners the kicking techniques bare a stark resemblance to Taekwondo kicks. And lastly whilst the site looks good, there is a difference between that site and the one I sent you: the one I senst you is a national newspaper that is legally required to take an impartial and unbiased representation of what it publishes according to British law and therefore has to collect information based on evidence (making it a very reliable resource). Whilst then website you sent me belongs to a particular organisation that is not required to be impartial (although I can see they have tried there best) meaning that it is subject to bias and is therefore less credible than a national tabloid because it is not held to the same legal standards.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It might be worth widening your sources a little SW :)

There is far from universal agreement that TKD has any roots in Taekkyon at all.

There is far from universal agreement that the Hwarang were knights who originated Taekkyon.

Mitch

9. Mitch

You realise this is absolutely not true, don't you? Honestly?

Mitch

10. Hannibal

Are you SERIOUS??????

Absolute nonsense

Edit: Mitch beat me to it

11. Spirit Warrior

Count Duckula
    Valued Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spirit Warrior
    I would just like to say from a Taekwondo person's point of view myself, that its important to add some historical proven context to a martial art in terms of whether it is effective in a real fighting scenario. Taekwondo is a martial art that was developed during the second world war by General Choi Hong Hi when Korea was under Japanese occupation, it was developed specifically to combat the short range powerful punches that shotokan karate uses. Taekwondo was a success from its start and was used by Americans very effectively during the war in vietnam; its kicks are specifically developed to destroy the opponent from a distance.
    Was there a lot of hand to hand combat with the vietkong?

Wearing combat boots, military clothing, 90 pound backpacks and of course various weapons, you'd think that they'd think twice about high kicking. Especially with uneven terrain, trees and bushes....

I wasn't trying to say that they actually used taekwondo in armed combat but it had a demorilasing effect. But to suggest bullets do not run out and that soldiers never engage in unarmed combat is a bit of a red herring; why does every military in the world teach there troops unarmed combat then?

12. Mitch

Just to help the clarity of the discussion and to make your life easier SW, you can click the Quote button at the bottom of someone's post and it will be included for you. It makes following the thread much easier for others :)

The story of Nam Tae Hi using his hand-to-hand skills is verifiable I believe, but then we are talking of a TKD taught to tough soldiers without compromise by other tough soldiers.

Mitch

13. Spirit Warrior

Lol well I think I do no the laws in my own country and I also think that British journalism is respected around the world for it's impartiality (which is a widely recognised fact because its one of the few things the county is proud of). But I noticed that none has addressed the point that the website belonging to a specific organisation could be biased and none has acknowledged the implication that Choi Hong Hi lied about his life either; why just pick on the last point and not address the entire statement?

14. Spirit Warrior

Thanks Mitch for telling me abbout the quote button

15. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

You really need to get an education about the media.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You are having a laugh, aren't you? :confused:

17. Mitch

Honestly, you don't in this case. It's my country too and there is no legal constraint on newspapers to give balanced opinions.

I seem to remember there is also a quote from Gen Choi to the effect that Taekkyon had no influence on the development of original TKD. I would have to look up the source however (or TKDStudent may happen by and correct me, as usual :D).

That's not to say there hasn't been some cross-polination since, nor that TKD has not influenced and been influenced by many other styles. I don't personally think it plays any role in TKD as it was originally conceived however.

Mitch

18. Spirit Warrior

Let me make the point I made before: why is no one dealing with the main argument which is the implication of a former general lieing without a shred of evidence against him.

Secondly Johnno when the phone hacking enquiry broke it was because of an investigation by the guardian; can someone tell me one other organisation that is prepared to expose its own colleagues to the world. It was also the media that exposed the banking scandal and exposes rapists and all other kind of low lifes; whilst in other countries (just look at Syria) media is controlled by the government and corruption is never exposed

19. Mitch

You're very welcome :)

Mitch

20. Spirit Warrior

If you watch this interview part 1 and 2 he confirms mr Hong Dong the second as his teacher

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2revZdVVBY"]Gen Choi Hong Hi interview P-1 - YouTube[/ame]

On the second point I agree with you, Taekwondo deffinately has intergrated other martial arts through the whole of this debate I have never disagreed with that.